Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 1,700 total)
  • Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only way Rafa is getting 80 million is from euro millions.

I expect to see him there next year, as you say the compensation clause will see to that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and thanks Garth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44093575

I was asked recently who were my top three managers this season. Without a moment’s hesitation I said Rafael Benitez, Sean Dyche and Chris Hughton – in that order.

I never expected Burnley to qualify for Europe, for Brighton to survive a season in the Premier League, or for Newcastle to finish with 44 points, ensuring safety with games to spare having started the season with seven Championship players in the team.

Anyone who has watched Newcastle United this season will have observed Benitez and his boys refusing to compromise one iota on the brand of football their fans want to see.

I wish I could say the same for Jose Mourinho and Manchester United. If Newcastle have lost a game they have done so with their dignity intact. They have taken the opposition on trying to play.

nick1962
    Free Member

WARNING CONTAINS LOTS OF SWEARING

United fan Paul’s view of the season..skip to 1:38 for synopsis

https://youtu.be/EeSG93nZWVI

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hodgynd
    Free Member

Mike ..

I’m assuming you posted Garth’s comments because as usual he is talking out of his arse ..

Of course we bloody compromised our playing style ..Man City at home is probably the best example of that when we gifted possession completely and the mission was to frustrate and keep the score down ( just in case goal difference became an issue at the end of the season ) .

The way Mr Crooks is talking you would think we had played in a Keeganesque style trying to outscore every team we played …

It’s been a great season for our first one back in the premiership ..but let’s not get too carried away !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was posting because he gave Rafa the credit and praise he deserved for the job he did this season with all the restrictions placed on him.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Garth Crooks really is a nob of the highest order!

Although Paul Merson runs him close!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Benitez and the team have done an incredible job ..Im 100% with you there ..

It’s the bit where he says that we haven’t compromised our playing style one iota on the brand of football our fans want to see ..we did ..I didn’t enjoy one or two games ..but I understood why ..

( I wasn’t having a pop at you btw)

muggomagic

Good to see the 3 promoted teams stay up (especially Brighton 🙂 ) we are constantly told how big a step up the premier league is from the Championship, which it is when playing the top 6 teams, but beyond that I think there isn’t much in it between the rest of the premier league and the top 4 or 5 teams in the Championship.

binners

They’re discussing who will or won’t be in the Engerland squad to be announced today, which raises the obvious question…

Who cares?

It’ll be the usual hopelessly over-optimistic, embarrassingly xenophobic build-up in the press (probably even more fist-chewingly awful than ever in our Brexity times) followed by the the usual predictably insipid, pitifully dull and uninspiring display of Sunday league level ineptitude, occasionally enlivened by the usual St Georges Cross-bedecked nobheads starting fights with the locals and trashing bars, then the usual early flight home.

If the England team were a dog, it’d have been put down by now as an act of mercy

Garry_Lager

Good to see the 3 promoted teams stay up (especially Brighton) we are constantly told how big a step up the premier league is from the Championship, which it is when playing the top 6 teams, but beyond that I think there isn’t much in it between the rest of the premier league and the top 4 or 5 teams in the Championship.

Seventh down is a study in mediocrity in the prem – as bad a two tier situation as I’ve ever seen. Wolves should be comfy mid-table next season. Obv clubs are operating with different resources, and you have to take the hat off to Burnley, Bournemouth etc, but the football is still rubbish in the bulk of the prem.

</div>

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the England team were a dog, it’d have been put down by now as an act of mercy

Don’t let 12 months under Jose ruin your day 😉 The rest of us can be optimistic…

binners

Come on Mike. Even you must be looking forward to the feast of adventurous, creative, attacking, free-flowing football we’re bound to see from both sides on Saturday at Wembley 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I saw lots of free flowing attacking football in the last Chelsea game 😉 Courtois was doing a great rabbit in headlight impression

binners

And while we’re on the subject of adventurous, creative, attacking, free-flowing football

The premiership will sadly be without Big Sam next season

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perfectly placed to take on his next big project, the November Jose implosion?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just heard some good news ..Joe Hart has already been told he won’t be going ..Wilshire too

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

now just need to get Henderson added to that list…

hodgynd
    Free Member

Agreed !

On the domestic front Allardyce & Moyes on their bikes ..should be more power to Rafa’s contract negotiations as both West Ham & Everton have expressed an interest in his services..but our dopey owner probably won’t be arsed ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sam to West Ham and Moyes to Everton?

weeksy

now just need to get Henderson added to that list…

The captain of the team in the Champions League final ?

Hmmmm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Henderson?

Some noises about Alexander Arnold being in there

hodgynd
    Free Member

Never liked Henderson ..but that’s  more to do with my daughter seeing the bloke for a while when he was just breaking through at Sunderland ..

Being a Mag I still haven’t forgiven her for that ..not least for the fact that she was way way to gorgeous for an ugly **** like him ..

theotherjonv

Every dog has its day, and this time it really could be us 😉  – just get Mrs Binners to back us and they may as well send us the cup now.

Seventh down is a study in mediocrity in the prem – as bad a two tier situation as I’ve ever seen.

I’ve said this for years – not least when we were there last – but survival in the Prem comes down to there being really 4 leagues in the league.

There’s the top 4 (or 3, or even 2) – City, Liverpool, Spurs, Utd really…. who are the only ones with a hope of winning it (and yes, I know Leicester = exception that proves the rule)

Add to them another 3 or 4 who might potentially get into the top 4 and jostle for a European slot, but aren’t really contenders overall.

At the bottom there’s maybe 5 or 6 who are relegation fodder. And in the middle the rest, who aren’t really any good but are a bit better than the relegation teams.

And your goal really is to be the best in your little league, try to pick up points here and there against the next set (or if you’re in the higher set, don’t drop points against them) and try not to get humped for GD against the top teams.  It’s a strategy for survival in the Premier League for the smaller teams but it’s not living for most people; we want to see good games where you try to win against whoever turns up, and after having seen 3 seasons of Reading in the PL I’d honestly swap season after season of play-offs or thereabouts in the Champs for just surviving in the PL.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seventh down is a study in mediocrity in the prem – as bad a two tier situation as I’ve ever seen.

How does it compare to France, Germany, Italy and Spain? The European money delivers the same thing, if you are in the club you stay there unless somebody with a lot of cash rocks the boat (Man City) the best players want to be in the CL so will swap between the top clubs in Europe to get that. You might get 1-2 seasons if your contracts are good out of some players if you finish 5/6th Aresnal/Chelsea. So that is your first Quality split, the number of teams with decent backing is showing in how tight 8th-17h is – 13pts.

Below that it’s those in freefall who have done something very wrong along the way.

Top of the championship is getting very tough, so the bounce back clubs need to either get in and go for it or restructure fast to survive.

PrinceJohn

Maybe Moyes has got his eyes on Gareth’s job after the world cup implosion?

I would find it somewhat hilarious if both Everton & West Ham got relegated next season, both have ‘ambitions’ both had solid mid-table managers & mid-table positions will be interesting to see what happens next.

PrinceJohn

unless somebody with a lot of cash rocks the boat (Man City)

& with the Financial Fair Play rules they’ve put a stop to that…

weeksy

& with the Financial Fair Play rules they’ve put a stop to that…

It doesn’t seem to be stopping City though.  191m at the last count….

binners

Talking of truly appalling football (and not just Jose’s) looks like Villa are still in with a chance of promotion (ironically on the back of a 0-0 draw – how fitting).

How on earth they managed to loiter around at the fag end of the premiership, like a fart in a lift, for as long as they did, grinding out spirit-crushing, last-game-on-MOTD 0-0 draws every week, I’ll never know. But I was delighted to see the back of them, and truly believed they’d never bother the Premiership again

Here’s hoping I was right

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No Shelvey in the England squad. Not even on standby. 😥

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep a big mistake there I feel, though some youth that will hopefully do more than sit on a bus for the duration.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I lived in hope regarding Shelvey ..but deep down knew he never really stood a chance ..England’s loss I fear ..

Binners ..hope you are right about Villa ..the most hated team after Sunderland in the eyes of toon supporters ..( mocking us going down a season or so ago )

I was chuffed for Mitro at Fulham ..even though it’s  obvious he has no future at Newcastle ..now just go and replicate that form in the playoff final & the world cup old son so we can squeeze every last million out of your transfer fee ..

dannyh
    Free Member

Let’s just pretend I care – what is the benchmark for ‘success’ this time?

Getting out of the group?

Not being bottom of the group?

Not getting humped 3-0 by a team from a country with a population of less than Manchester?

I like World Cups because you do generally get some entertaining football played by various national teams. But never by England………

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s always so frustrating as our players tend to freeze at WC’s and won’t take chances.  They play it safe rather than take on a player and we then just get picked off.

I live in hope that we can put out a team that plays without fear and goes for it….but I’m not holding my breath!

weeksy

What’s the predictions for the Champions League final then ?

I’m going for 3-1 Liverpool with 2 early goals from Firmino and Salah.

I’ll be sitting in a bar by the river in Cochem Germany rather than in Kiev though.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wouldn’t like to predict a score ..I hope Liverpool win ..but don’t think they will.

senorj

I like Gareth’s squad. I’ll now probably watch it . I think success would be quarter finals.

Liverpool to win. please &if they could have it wrapped up by the first half all the better. You just know it’ll be manic defending for the last 15 mins,with me behind the sofa.

mikey3
    Free Member

If real give bale any time on the pitch in the final I think he will do Liverpool serious damage,if he can stay injury free I think whoever gets him for next season will have the bale of a few years ago.I still find the madrid fans a joke tho so I am hoping for a bale hat trick in a 4-3 madrid defeat:)  (and the way they both play that could easily happen.)

henderson
    Free Member

I think Real win 2:1… but i prefer Liverpool.

senorj

Jordan? Is that you?

binners

I think Real’s European experience will show and they’ll just edge it

I think it’ll be a fantastic final though, and expect Liverpool to do what they always do. Straight out of the blocks attacking them, score a couple, then end up losing by shipping late last-gasp goals. Ronnie to score the winner in Fergie-time

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 1,700 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread’ is closed to new replies.