Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,700 total)
  • Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread
  • mikey3
    Free Member

Be great if ben woodburn gets 10 mins at the end if roma need silly amount of goals,he’ll score aswell:)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Half time team talk by?

theotherjonv

So just to understand –

they’ve scored seven

I don’t even support them

and I’m still scared stiff they’ll somehow blow it?

Another goal might see me a bit more comfortable, as then Roma would need another 5…… but only a bit

Caher

I’m on the edge of my seat still and I’m not a Liverpool fan. Their fragile defence brings an element of slap stick.

Caher

Still otherjohnv  it’s not the SIMOD cup!

theotherjonv

No, we gave the ‘better’ team a start in that one too!

theotherjonv

Salah’s barely had a kick. Over-rated

Rockape63
    Free Member

Certainly a different game in the second half!

hugo
    Free Member

Ha, Firenze blatantly shoving Robertson and then throwing his toys because he was shoved back. Humiliating.

Well done Liverpool.  Pretty much evening money against Real. Salah against Marcelo anyone?!

binners

Well…. over the 2 legs, that was a dull affair 😳

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Never in doubt ………. Gulp

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon the final will go 0-0 and penalties

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hope binners is ok. He is the consummate football fan on this thread. No-one is a better fan than him – he pays out of his hard earned money to watch his lightning red men play on his TV while he drinks his beer. I know he’ll have been hoping for the other red men he seems to hate so much to lose tonight, so I hope he doesn’t feel the need to beat anyone up over all this.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Some right wonkys in the Liverpool crowd! 😮😀

weeksy

Easy that. Just keeping the crowd entertained.

mikey74
    Free Member

Wooooooooooooooooooppp!!

That penalty was a joke, much like the one in the first game.

StirlingCrispin

Just back from Stirling Albion vs Peterhead in the Scottish League 2 playoffs.

Lost 1-0 but at least we didn’t get humped. Even if there is a miracle and we win the second leg and then the final playoff we’ll get humped every week in League 1.

What are you lot talking about?

senorj

Christ on a bike!

final should be good.:-)

Alexander-Arnold  = future captain.

Caher

Liverpool good but very brittle. Never a penalty. Referee played well until then.

frogstomp

Entertaining game but felt fairly comfortable – none of the tension of the ‘tide turning’ in the previous game and the MC match. Would have been different if the Roma goals had come earlier, but I think they’d given up hope by half time..

Still seem to lack concentration at the back when they’re up against it whilst relying on out-scoring their opponents.. not sure we have progressed from a few seasons ago under BR (still think he was hard done by). Not necessarily a bad thing – certainly makes for entertaining matches one way or another!

cheers_drive

Over the 2 legs it was 7-1 to Liverpool whilst I was on Zwift, 0-5 when I was off. I’d better do a longer session for the final!

theotherjonv

Entertaining game but felt fairly comfortable

Would have been a lot more comfortable but for two ridiculous penalties and the best own goal in Champions League history.

Rockape63
    Free Member

For both ridiculous penalties the ball was handled, so its down to the rather vague rules as to whether the ref blows or not.  However you didn’t mention the two stonewall penalties that weren’t given when TAA deflected the ball over the bar with his arm and also the GK taking out their player in the box.

Nevermind you’re through and that’s all that matters. Tonight is hopefully going to be interesting with us scoring late to go through 0-1.  I’m not putting any money on that though! 😬

mikey74
    Free Member

The TAA one wasn’t a penalty, either: It wasn’t deliberate and he was too close to react. The 2 penalties Roma got were not even close to being penalties. I don’t think they are even debatable. oh, and their opener was a stroke of unbelievable luck, for them.

Don’t forget, we had a stonewall penalty not given when Mane was fouled in the first half. Not to mention a number of offside decisions that went against us (and for us, in a few cases.

Overall, the 4-2 scoreline flattered Roma and made the tie appear closer than it actual was.

theotherjonv

Point 1. I am not a Liverpool fan, so there’s no ‘we’re through’ to it. Of course I wanted the English team(s) to progress and I’d favour Liverpool over most of the other suspects (Mancs of either persuasion, and certainly Chelsea) but there’s no ‘we’ beyond that. My comments are from a mainly non-biased perspective.

Point 2. I’m a qualified Ref and as such possibly better placed to comment on aspects of law. And my first comment is that the handball law is a mess.

From the FA website, in itself a copy of the FIFA one:

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence
    • touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an offence
    • hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

In respect of all the handballs we saw in this tie (both legs) by the letter of the laws I’d reckon that none of them were ‘deliberate’. But then you have interpretation, and people adding their own nuances like hands being in an un-natural position (which then leads to interpretation that by charging at a ball with arms up you are increasing your blocking area and then if the ball hits your hands above your head you deliberately put them there….. and so on)

I think the only solution becomes one of if it touches the hand, it’s a handball – but then are players skillful enough to try to hit a hand or arm and so earn fouls and penalties in that way. Maybe a ‘non deliberate’ ball to hand offence is only an indirect freekick; to be a penalty it has to be clearly hand to ball?

Thirdly;  the Mane push was a penalty that should have been given. The Karius ‘foul’ on Dzeko that you claim was stonewall – the ball wasn’t even in play, he’d been given offside already!!  If you want a penalty for that, you’ll be claiming the goals scored in the prematch warm-up next!

theotherjonv

Oh – point 4;  good luck tonight. I’m not an Arsenal* fan either and i think Arsene has overstayed but I also respect him for his footballing ethos and ethics, and I’d love it if you can deliver him a big trophy as a retirement gift.

* my teams are way shitter than any of the one’s I’ve mentioned before…….. particularly this year.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So Arsenal to drift into mid table mediocrity?

hugo
    Free Member

Such a frustrating performance from Arsenal.

Get into a fantastic position 1 on 1 with the full back on the edge of the box.

Cross?  No, of course not.

Take the full back on?  No, of course not.

Shoot?  You must be joking.

Pass the ball back to the centre midfield and repeat endlessly?  Yes, of course.

Take a b****y chance at some point to try and score a goal for heavens sake.  There’s just a fear of losing the ball and only situations where they can walk the ball into the goal unopposed are welcomed.

The amount of quick breaks that have ended up with a forward turning away from goal and passing it to Xhaka to pass it sideways again is just ludicrous.

What’s more mindblowing is that they did exactly the same against 10 men in the first leg.  They don’t deserve to get to the final.  They could have won this, they really could have, but their attacking aggression is virtually zero.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well at least Wenger goes out at the level he’s brought us down to…..semi final of the EL FFS!

take your millions and bugger off into retirement and hopefully we can find the right manager to build us back up again!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well at least Wenger goes out at the level he’s brought us down to…..semi final of the EL FFS!

Want to step it up then you need to let a couple of hundred million go!!

muggomagic

I’m no Arsenal supporter, but I found that quite frustrating to watch. So many good opportunities ending with a back pass or an awful cross.

Aaron Ramsey, I just don’t get what he does. That second half he kept giving the ball away and then strolling back. There was even one point when he gave it away (again) and as AM counter attacked Lacazette ran back to help defend and when Arsenal win the ball back the camera pans out and there’s Ramsey just wandering into the Arsenal half! Found it staggering that they took Wilshere off, who I thought looked pretty decent in the 2nd half. Hopefully he might have a part to play in Russia this Summer. Is Wilshere’s contract still up this summer?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Is Wilshere’s contract still up this summer?

Yeah and frankly a lot of gooners would be pleased to see him go.  He played well at the start of the season, but has deteriorated and almost never gets in front of goal anymore…..his injury causing but havoc inducing runs forward ,seem to be a thing of the past.

It was just a typical Wenger performance and only he can be blamed for it.  Incredibly he had options on the bench and just fiddled while Rome burnt!  Long past his sell by date and we can only look forward now….with hope!

Rockape63
    Free Member

In respect of all the handballs we saw in this tie (both legs) by the letter of the laws I’d reckon that none of them were ‘deliberate’. But then you have interpretation, and people adding their own nuances like hands being in an un-natural position (which then leads to interpretation that by charging at a ball with arms up you are increasing your blocking area and then if the ball hits your hands above your head you deliberately put them there….. and so on)

I’ve never really got the handball law as for years, players were penalised despite it being clearly accidental.  If the ball is going in the net and the ball hits an arm that is sticking out, generally its a penalty……despite it not being intentional.  It does seem that Refs now have a bit more guidance as to awarding free kicks and penalties and are waving away more appeals on the basis that its accidental…..so the two awarded against LFC in both legs seem ridiculous when compared with others that aren’t given.  Its the refs thatr are the problem…..no consistency!

mikey3
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about what ramsey does as he’s pretty much already gone,the most entitled fans in the world will have to find someone else to whine about.

muggomagic

I think they’d be mad to let him go. He looks a different sort of player, but still better than Ramsey, Xhaka and any other option they have. To me, he looked in control of that midfield last night. Playing great little balls in to the forwards and still has the ability to get past a player with his skill. I admit I haven’t seen him that often this season so might well be as useless as the rest of the Arsenal midfield, but he certainly stood out last night.

muggomagic

the most entitled fans in the world will have to find someone else to whine about

Just as well that they have plenty of other options for that then.

theotherjonv

Its the refs that are the problem…..no consistency!

So, you bring in hard and fast rulings (International Board Decisions, to give them their proper name) of how to interpret particular situations, the Ref’s interpret them rigidly, and then players, managers, commentators and fans, most of whom don’t actually ever read the laws let alone the massive pile of IBD’s behind the laws, all complain that a/ refs know the laws but not the game and b/ should have used common sense / discretion.

Trouble is, that a lot of the time the players, managers, and spectators (or indeed parents) are expressing their complaints at considerable volume and with liberal addition of fruity language, about 8 inches from you. Which is why I’m qualified, I still read my LOAF every year, but I can’t be bothered to go over the white line and actually referee games other than an occasional one for a mate’s school team every so often.

And the commentators….. thankfully a few channels now have ex Ref’s if not on their panels, somewhere in a studio telling them what the law really says.

mikey74
    Free Member

thankfully a few channels now have ex Ref’s if not on their panels, somewhere in a studio telling them what the law really says.

From what I’ve seen, they don’t seem to know any more than anyone else: The guy doing the Roma/Liverpool game said the TAA incident was a definite penalty: If you go by the laws of the game, it clearly wasn’t.

Rockape63
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen, they don’t seem to know any more than anyone else: The guy doing the Roma/Liverpool game said the TAA incident was a definite penalty: If you go by the laws of the game, it clearly wasn’t.

Haha…thats right he did!  And before that another Ref was prevaricating when asked to confirm something…..and that’s from the comfort of a TV studio with ages to consider it.  I suppose it does show how difficult the job is, before taking into account the crowd and the players etc.

Rockape63
    Free Member

the most entitled fans in the world

Really?  I don’t see it myself…..we’ve just seen a Club in a great position with huge potential for the future, systematically run into the ground by poor management!   I would say the most disappointed, but we can’t compete with Spurs for that one! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,700 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread’ is closed to new replies.