Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Small hole, awkward place
  • philjunior
    Free Member

I need to drill a few small holes in awkward to reach locations. Will this work, including the 1m extension? Only small holes so I won’t need to apply much force or anything, just whether I’ll physically be able to get a drill bit in and if there are any reasons such a plan would be totally crazy; will this work?

Alternatively, any better suggestions welcome. Something with controllable speed would I’m sure be beneficial.

stumpyjon

When you say awkward what do you mean, difficult to reach, restricted clearance for a drill? Photo would help. Right angled drill?

null
    or
    null

tjagain

YOu can get right angle drill adaptors – would that help?

this sort of thing

tthew

You can get a flexible extension for your existing drill rather than a whole new tool. Flexi-drive

philjunior
    Free Member

It’s difficult to reach and very difficult to get a drill in (putting blinds up behind a cupboard unit in a camper van). Right angled drill might help, but I think I’ll get myself one of those flexible things – had a look to see if I could find such a thing but google gave me hundreds of results for drivers but few/none suitable for a drill (and all were rigid.).

Ta everyone.

BigJohn

Go on, spend £250 on the Festool CXS drill driver from Screwfix. You know you want to.
    It has a brilliant right angle adapter and the moment you use it all your buyer’s remorse goes away. It’s 10v and looks like a toy but I make furniture and it’s always my first choice. So light, strong and lovely.

spooky_b329

I’ve got a bendy drill attachment and also the 90 degree chuck. Used the 90 chuck a few times but its not magic so often won’t fit. The bendy thing I’ve never had much luck as its fairly stiff and doesn’t bend that tight, especially at the end which is a fairly long rigid section. Perhaps more expensive ones are more flexible and a shorter chuck on the end, but then you might as well get a proper right angle drill.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think you are going to be frustrated by the length of the handle.

If it’s that tight already it’ll be even worse when you are trying to fit the blind with the blind in the way.

Have you considered glue of even quality velcro?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

+1 for glue instead. That’s what I do if it’s too fiddly for a drill

nixie

If it’s awkward to drill also going to be awkward to fit any fastener.

mechanicaldope

Drill the hole through the inside wall of the cupboard? Obviously you will have a small hole on the inside of the cupboard but you would also be able to get a screwdriver through it.

kayak23

Can you take the cupboard out easily?

avdave2

I’m disappointed I was expecting a story about a trip to A&E involving slipping in the shower

philjunior
    Free Member

Go on, spend £250 on the Festool CXS drill driver from Screwfix.

On the divorce present to self.

Drill the hole through the inside wall of the cupboard?

Not necessary, it’s got a hole in the back.

I think you are going to be frustrated by the length of the handle.

If it’s that tight already it’ll be even worse when you are trying to fit the blind with the blind in the way.

Have you considered glue of even quality velcro?

From the layout I’m pretty sure I can get the flexible drill snake thing in, don’t need the blind on the rails while I fit it, but the blind is held under tension when fitted so no way velcro would work, glue perhaps but more messy and still a good possibility of failure I reckon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Small hole, awkward place’ is closed to new replies.