• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • scotroutes

When packing it away after these photos I was hoping I’d not need it for at least another 6 months 🙂

eoghan
    Free Member

A -15 rated bag would be mighty warm outside of October-April!

jairaj

Hi guys,

great thread, I’ve only just stumbled on it. This thread has given me the motivation to go try something similar this summer. I’m not a well seasoned camper so will wait till ideal conditions before giving it a go.

If I go in the summer time and pick a weekend where there is no chance of rain. Will I be OK sleeping in just summer sleeping bag and a mat under the stars? Or do you still recommend a bivy bag and tarp etc ?

Tiger6791

If 100% no chance rain then a sleeping bag is fine without a bivi or tarp

scotroutes

The “Comfort” rating of that bag is -5C and you’d have hoped we’d not have too many nights as cold as that in what we laughingly call summer. I also have a Lamina 35 which has a CR of 2C so that’ll be getting aired this weekend.

scotroutes

It’s gonna depend on temperature too. A bivy bag of any sort will add a few degrees of warmth, especially if it’s a bit windy.

eoghan
    Free Member

If 100% no chance rain then a sleeping bag is fine without a bivi or tarp

Wouldn’t be fun in heavy dew either.

Scotroutes – that’s a brilliant blog you’ve got going on there.

scotroutes

eoghan – thanks. Nice to know someone appreciates it. I sometimes worry that it is too “wordy” but it’s really just an extension of some notes I was taking for my own benefit and there are lots of little details that help spark the recollection process.

Kendal
    Free Member

Got to say this is one of the best threads I’ve read on here – really inspired me to bivi again. Thanks!

scotroutes

Just in time for elevenses, here’s my first impressions of bivvying

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/05/a-different-slant.html

vorlich
    Free Member

We’re due a bump I think

More here, with thanks to ScotRoutes and the weather. 🙂

scotroutes

Sunnier in my photo – but I bet it was a bloody sight colder!!

P1050319 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Nice write-up though. You have a very humorous style.

vorlich
    Free Member

Sunnier in my photo – but I bet it was a bloody sight colder!!

I don’t doubt it! 🙂

Glad you enjoyed it.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I enjoyed reading that vorlich,and the photos are stunning. Thank you.

OCB
    Free Member

Scarcely an adventure as I was only out for a couple of hours 🙄 , (although that’s often enough time to get into some kinda trouble) but for a size reference picture, here’s a small sized Wildcat Tiger rackless bag, filled with a 5ltr Alpkit drybag, strapped to my Peregrine.

I’ve taken to using this, or my larger Bikepacking.EU back for ‘day-touring’, rather than go for more traditional ‘day’ bags – just for carrying tools, a tube, something to eat, a waterproof, and extra layer – stuff like that.

boxelder

Due to head for a cairngorm tour in about 10 days – anyone got info on conditions please – snow, fordability of rivers etc? Gaick, Tromie, By back, Braes Abernethy, Fords of A an etc

Ta

piffpaffpoff
    Free Member

This is quite a good site for getting real time data on river levels Boxelder, gives you an idea if they are running higher or lower than normal.

http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_levels/river_level_data.aspx

boxelder

That’s a great link.
    Ta

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Took youngest son on his first bikepacking trip, all the lightweight gear I used on the Polaris Challenges has long since expired, so used what we had just in case he didn’t enjoy it. Seems he did and we are off again next weekend to do it properly wild.

My SS Bikepacker made from the parts bin.

Our accommodation for Saturday night:

gazerath
    Free Member

recommendations on food? any nice just add water meals out there?

tony07
    Free Member

Spent last night in the wilds of the Mournes.

wasnt a bad night for it. Could do with a smaller sleeping bag if I’m going to make a habit of it.

All in all was a good night!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the Mournes Tony?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

gazerath – Member
    recommendations on food? any nice just add water meals out there?

No need to add water, just boil in the bag…

Look what we found…

tony07
    Free Member

Camped at pierces castle, then descended back to rostrevor via castle bog, then onto the new trails.

Alpha1653

For quick carbs, I like the flavoured couscous you get in single serving packets in supermarkets. Ignore the instructions, heat some water and when it’s near boiling, whack it in, roll over the top and leave for a few mins. The fact you’re not having to keep something on the boil means your fuel lasts longer.

doh
    Free Member

ASDA are doing “look what we found” meals for a quid at the moment, use by dates are well into next year so have stocked up the cupboard.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

What section are they in I’ll go hunting later

jairaj

How do you guys carry around enough water when wild camping? I can easily get through 3 litres on an all day ride so no idea what I’d use for cooking with in the evening and then the next day?

Or is the idea to focus on the camping rather than an epic ride and do a smaller route leaving enough water for food and the return journey.

AlexSimon

jairaj – I’ve been using a Travel Tap. Great when you know you’re going places with running water (everywhere in the peaks).
    They do an inline camelbak filter too.

They look a little too-good-to-be-true, but there are plenty of people I trust using them.

Even a normal pump-style water filter is going to weight a lot less than a litre of water, so it’s worth doing imo.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve been walking and cycling in the hills for years and never had a problem with water from fast flowing steams, rivers and burns. Just avoid water sources near cattle.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Yep, if it’s fast flowing, above human habitation and doesn’t have a dead sheep in it, it’ll probably be okay – especially if you’re boiling the water anyway.

BlobOnAStick

I used chlorination tablets, followed by choline neutralising tablets. It was the best tasting water I’ve ever had! (well, you know it was perfectly drinkable)

jairaj

ah always wondered if the water in the peaks and lake was good to drink. thanks for the pointers.

doh
    Free Member

Look what we found in with the tinned curries etc
    Only ever camped in the wilds of Scotland so the nearest stream is the normal source of water

julioflo
    Free Member

Readying myself to invest in a decent thermal matt.

Obvious choice is the Thermarest NeoAir xlite, but it is quite pricey. After seeing the Hyalite Peak Elite Ac advertised for about £50 i’m very tempted by that.

Any opinions on these tow or similar?

I’m after a fairly small pack size and weight, warm enough for year round UK, maybe not snow.

Thanks

tomd
    Free Member

How do you guys carry around enough water when wild camping? I can easily get through 3 litres on an all day ride so no idea what I’d use for cooking with in the evening and then the next day?

In lots of places in Scotland / Lakes I just drink from fast flowing streams, usually as high up as possible where there are fewer sheep and cattle.

Otherwise, you can get descent filter bottles for £30 that mean you can drink from pretty much anything. No way would I carry all the water I need it would ruin the trip.

doh
    Free Member

Exped synmat ul gets my vote packs to size of coke can. Not the lightest or cheapest on the market but found it more comfy than the thermarests and doesn’t sound like a crisp packet

DoctorRad
    Free Member
    julioflo
    Free Member

Thanks for help guys. Have heard good things about the Exped elsewhere and something just doesn’t seem right with the Alpkit one to me (and I like Alpkit gear, have one of there down bags). So think I’m going to get the Exped.

Thanks

eviljoe
    Free Member

A few pics from our Dartmoor bivvy on Thursday night

My cheapie trailer.

Sunset over Tavistock from the rail trail

A bed of bluebells

My now broken cheapie trailer! Note to self, it won’t take rocky descents… Cableties to the rescue!

A sleepy evilsam 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.