Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)
  • Should we have a Top Gear thread? Sunday, new series
  • richmars

As mentioned above, there are only so many ways of describing a fast car, so I guess that makes it dull for some people. ‘Just talk about cars’  That sounds even duller.

pondo

Not as dull as not comedians trying to be funny to a formula that was past its sell-by five years ago. That’s REALLY dull.

Totally appreciate there’s plenty of Youtube car reviews out there, so maybe that’s not straight-up what they should do, but in the name of god, please stop just doing Clarkson era skits. Obvious, dull, not funny.

butcher

As mentioned above, there are only so many ways of describing a fast car, so I guess that makes it dull for some people. ‘Just talk about cars’  That sounds even duller.

Anyone else finding that with fast cars so commonplace now, they’re just not very interesting any more? It’s all repetition of a theme which has been running for decades, and it’s all a bit tedious when they’re described in the same way week after week. I’d much prefer to see stuff like the 2CV and other classics, as well as the technology of the future.

Not as dull as not comedians trying to be funny to a formula that was past its sell-by five years ago. That’s REALLY dull.

To be fair, I think they’ve rejuvenated the show, purely through the excitement they have for what they’re doing. It’s definitely not as bad as the old crew going through the motions of churning out the same old shit they’ve done for 20 years so they can get paid at the end of the month. A little shake-up of the formula wouldn’t be a bad thing though.

matt_outandabout

Oh come on, this raised a proper laugh in our house:

Caher

As Sunday night fare it’s ok IMO, but that Mark Wynne on the extra gear,  what a Marvin the Paranoid Android was he, especially criticising the 80s iconic Lamborghini Countach.

rmacattack
    Free Member

I was going to tune in on Sunday after a piece on country file.  But to me it’s a chore now to watch it. I used to think it was great. Then the jezza scandal came. I give it a chance with Evans et al  and even checked out the grand tour. But I just seem to have no interest anymore.

kerley
    Free Member

I’d much prefer to see stuff like the 2CV and other classics, as well as the technology of the future.

Again, I give you Youtube.  Loads of channels providing in depth coverage that people actually interested in cars want to see.  TV is slowly dying as it can no longer compete on these types of subjects

hodgynd
    Free Member

Well ..the end of the series ..will there be another ?

Apparently not from that location as the airfield has been sold to a housing developer with planning permission approved …certainly the end of the star in the car ( whatever it is called now )…if they don’t find another race track ..

Really impressed with the Alpha SUV…and that Renault Alpine ( please don’t say Alpeen! ) looked fun until it caught fire !

Presenters still naff ..would anyone really be that bothered if it didnt return ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Alpine was nice, but too expensive. The SUV test was amusing, just..

Overall the series gets a …

Drac

The Alpine proved to be just a Renault with a sporty look and engine, hideous interior.

Parts of the SUV test were amusing but the totally pointless “Oh I’m lost” bit was cringeworthy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

.will there be another ?

Harris was at Dunsfold a few days ago in a shiny new Porsche.

Spent half of yesterday’s working out where on the cross country course they were! Nice use of the Lion Bridge! Looked as if they filmed it early in the week before the trails, which are sponsored by Land Rover…

Sandwich

The take-away (ugh) from last night, don’t overdo it in a Volvo SUV they aren’t up to ‘proper’ off-road driving.

The series had more amusement in a single episode than a whole series of ‘The Amazon Three’. It’s no longer must see viewing in the house though.

mikey74
    Free Member

I thought the “Alpeen” looked cheap: Not necessarily in the finishes, just the overall design.

He was also banging on about weight saving and yet they chose to include a second set of headlights. Yes, I know this was to emulate the original rally cars, but surely goes against weight savings elsewhere, and certainly didn’t help the looks.

No one in their right mind would spend over £50K on a Renault.

andy4d

Well now top gear is over i am looking forward to watching more of the Brian Johnson car series that started on Discovery. I enjoyed the first one, but i do have a soft spot for Minis.

thepurist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945

Freddy Flintoff, Paddy McGuiness and Chris Harris.  Ah well….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Oh dear.

RIP TG.

martinhutch

Fred and Paddy’s Road to Nowhere?

Drac

Well that’s me done with it.

onandon
    Free Member

WTF. Can we still get teletext subtitles 🤨

legend
    Free Member

OTOH Rory not being a main presenter is a positive. Good step up from Jacamo for Flintoff

Kryton57

No, no, no.

the-muffin-man

Well that’s a crock of shi….

Anyone else been watching Fifth Gear recently? I’ve rather enjoyed the current series on Channel 5.

Harry_the_Spider

Paddy McGuinness? Really?

FFS.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Think I’d rather put up with Evans than McGuinness…. Can’t believe I’ve written such a sentence.  :/

tomhoward

So they are trying to turn it into a league of their own (lads lads lads, top bantz) but with cars as the vessel, rather than sport? I foresee Harris having the piss mercilessly ripped out of him whenever he starts getting techy about cars…

At least they’ll be able to understand each other.

fooman

No likey, no lighty.

Actually it’s not so bad didn’t they briefly attach James Martin to the show? I suspect so it would be a relief when they signed someone else.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Que?

I thought he’d renounced crimes against TV

stumpy01

Oh, bejeezus!

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Wow.

Ok so in the interests of fairness should I give it a chance?

No chance, can’t stand Freddie Flintoff, not a fan of Paddy – did like Chris Harris.

Extra Gear sounds better with Rory & Sabine.

woodster

I think the biggest problem is it all feels like a celebrity “Jim’ll fix it” where the new presenters are giddy at the thought of getting to play at hosting their favourite show. They should be excited at the opportunity to create something, rather than turn up to play with cars as they imagined was the reality of Top Gear with Clarkson, Hammond and May.

tomhoward
    hodgynd
    Free Member

Give Freddy a chance ..he drives a mean Fish & Chip shop van ..

toblerone1

That’s a shocking new lineup! To my mind Chris Harris will be the only one who actually knows anything about cars from the new line up

The last series was just about Ok with Reid, LeBlanc and Harris and they had some on screen chemistry developing

Personally I find Flintoff annoying.

welshfarmer

Don’t forget that Freddie is one of us, in that he has at least ridden mountain bikes in the past. I was speaking to Rob Penn after he rode across the Amazon Basin together with FF on rigid MTBs to highlight the issues over there, and he tells me a nicer bloke you would be hard pressed to meet. Good luck to him I say, I will watch and make up my own mind then, not now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Freddie needs a few beers in him before he goes on screen to really loosen up doesn’t he?

Or is that get into fights..

🤣💩

martinhutch

Don’t forget that Freddie is one of us, in that he has at least ridden mountain bikes in the past.

Don’t forget the pedalo as well – he has a wealth of experience with pedal-propelled vehicles, making him automatically better than most people.

Plus he is experienced in Top Gear ‘writing rude words on stuff’ type japery.

Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Should we have a Top Gear thread? Sunday, new series’ is closed to new replies.