Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Shamefully unknown great songs
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

funkmasterp

Might be more well known than I think. Bloody love the guy. Greatest lyricist and songwriter of his (my) generation.

colournoise

prom
    Free Member

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The drowning man by Kubris.

prom
    Free Member

copa
    Free Member

gauss1777
    Free Member

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Amiens Polka – The Dreadnoughts
    Japanese Prisoner of Love. – The Darkness
    Vernix – Wildhearts
    How I Survived The Punk Rock Wars – Hey!Hello!

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Billy Strings – Dust in a Baggie

eddiebaby
    Free Member

jamj1974

Bernard is still great!

breninbeener

@funkmasterp that is a fine fine choice. He is amazing.

This is the sort of thread tha DezB would be all over. I havnt seen anything from him in a while. Does anyone know him IRL? Is he ok?

Ian

Cougar

What we need here is a shared Spotify playlist.

My contribution (discovered via Rock Band):

desperatebicycle

Strange one this, from back in 2003, not a single other interesting song in their repertoire, but always thought this a perfect pop song

inkster
    Free Member

Loved the Led Zep vibes on that Muddy magnolia tune eddie.

That Jason Isbell track is something else though. Reminded me a bit of this one, not eacltly unknown (unless you haven’t heard it of course…)

funkmasterp

That Jason Isbell track is something else though.

I’m a huge fan but truly think he’s a massive talent. Listening to him now actually, Codeine, another fantastically written song.

Billy Strings – Dust in a Baggie

The version where he’s playing it in a friends living room with what appears to be an extremely high Hobbit in the background. Some of the YouTube comments about the guy are genuinely funny.

captmorgan
    Free Member

cb200
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

Pigface
    Free Member

Pigface
    Free Member

chriscubed

jamj1974

p7eaven
    Free Member

(warning for anyone who loves/has loved a dog : you will most likely cry)

CountZero

What we need here is a shared Spotify playlist.

Fine, if you use Spotify, I refuse to on principle.

As regards the thread title, where to even start?! I’ve got many thousands of songs in my music library, and many of those are outstanding pieces of music that just aren’t well known by artists who are equally not well known, sadly. Gonna have to give this some thought, to whittle the list down to something manageable! 🤣

Might as well start at ‘A’ – I love this song, it’s got a beautiful melody, and the story it’s based on is pretty sad. This was only released as a B-side, so has never really been appreciated as one of the band’s finest songs, in my humble opinion, that is. 😁

I was going to add a song by Thea Gilmore, an unfinished, unrecorded song by Sandy Denny, called Frozen Time, but there’s no YouTube of it, but there is this one, from the same album, which I also think should be far better known. It’s just really beautiful.

nbt

Can’t recall where I first heard this but I love it, it’s just got a groove…

CountZero

Dunno if this is *that* unknown, but everyone seems to play the shitty ‘Mondays version, while the vastly superior original seldom ever gets played!

p7eaven
    Free Member

As regards the thread title, where to even start?! I’ve got many thousands of songs in my music library,

Just pick one that you like? 😉

slowol

Take me out by Melys
    Apologies for the Spotify link but can’t find it on other platforms

burko73

This is a great simple summery guitar song…

Best Coast

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@CountZero Here you go

jamj1974

@NBT

Edgar Jones has to be there.

CountZero

Eddiebaby, how did you turn that up? I couldn’t fine it on YouTube despite searching around for ages!

Hopefully Thea will play either (or both, if I ask nicely) when I see her again in Bristol later this year.

Just pick one that you like?

Therein lies the problem!

I first heard this band and this track on 6Music, in 2005, when they started playing a whole bunch of new Canadian bands, and it kicked off a big love affair with them, (and Emily Hayes, but we won’t go there…), and Arcade Fire, The Dears, and others. As it happens, I’ve just got tickets to see Metric in London, The Dears in Bristol, and I’ve got tickets for Arcade Fire in London next month.

chakaping
    Free Member

Quite a few people have probably heard of Felt, but how many have actually heard them?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Eddiebaby, how did you turn that up? I couldn’t fine it on YouTube despite searching around for ages!

I literally searched ‘youtube thea gilmore frozen time’

Hopefully Thea will play either (or both, if I ask nicely) when I see her again in Bristol later this year.

I’m seeing her dad over the next couple of days so I’ll put in a good word for you.

CountZero

@eddiebaby – one thing occurred to me, I wasn’t using Google to search, I was using Ghostery, and also Brave with DuckDuckGo, so it’s possible that skewed the search.

And thanks, although Thea wouldn’t know me from my username on here, we have met quite a few times and she’s signed stuff for me, she likely wouldn’t associate me with anything other than my first name.
    I suddenly remembered this song yesterday, I loved it the first time I heard it, but the writer/singer remains little known, certainly compared to his dad!

What could be better, Richard Thompson covered by The Blind Boys Of Alabama.

Another wonderful singer/songwriter who deserves to be better known than she is.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.