Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Seen a stem like this ?
  • snaps
    Free Member
    thols2

I miss the days when tyres had no grip, weighed a ton, and were slow and draggy.

qwerty
    Free Member

What’s the travel on those forks?

montgomery
    Free Member

Forks might need a service.

montgomery
    Free Member

Blimey, just clocked the starting bid!

vlad_the_invader

Super long, steep stem to counteract the collapsed forks? I had a set of Pace forks which did that at the most inconvenient of times…

(They look like Pace to me…)

Rubber_Buccaneer

This bike has been nutured

ouch

hydraulic dics fron and rear

double ouch

sirromj

I miss the days when tyres had no grip, weighed a ton, and were slow and draggy.

and were torn to shreds by a blade of grass.

sirromj

Stem looks perfect for super tech heavy downhill.

dyna-ti

Oh dear, someones living in fantasy land.

TBH the bike is worth 400 at best, and that would be if it has been cleaned and the alloy bits polished.

Now while it has some of the nice parts on it(but not the stem, thats a pos) it looks too rough to attract that sort of money.

This is nonsense though

“This bike has been nutured since buying direct form Hope.”

Hope didnt sell bikes bitd and certainly not Orange. And the rims arent from hope, cos Hope didnt make rims then either. All in all a bunch of boolocks

Forks might need a service.

It was standard practise to give pace forks a service after 15 minutes of riding time, cursing at them while you did so

defblade
    Free Member

I’ve got a stem like that, albeit rather shorter.

It came on the £30-from-Gumtree Giant hybrid I stuck a motor on for my commute.

tonyg2003

That is a terrible mixture of parts, some interesting (brakes, forks) some cheap (new alvio chainset) some horrible (stem). It’s a frankenbike at best.

I’m not sure I would be all that comfortable with the front brake. Unless I was rolling backwards.

jamezee

It’s the opposite of a limp richard stem.

Kuco

I had one of those Hope Ti hubs they were good at cracking. I loved the Hope C2 brakes back then.

crab
    Free Member

“ Forks might need a service.”

25 year old elastomers have left the chat

5lab

I miss the days when tyres had no grip, weighed a ton, and were slow and draggy

I’ve some similar tyres to that on my retro orange – maxxis wormdrive. They weigh 430g an end, and have almost no drag. They are fast, zero grip, and pretty fragile, but not slow or heavy in the slightest

dyna-ti

I had one of those Hope Ti hubs they were good at cracking

Small flanges and people constantly truing them put too much strain and something had to go. But general use XC or light pottering about they were absolutely fine.

I loved the Hope C2 brakes back then.

26mm piston, same size and power as a V2 .They were at the time very good and certainly powerful enough for any sort of bitd riding,  XC maybe the occasional dh. Being a closed system there weren’t suitable for long dh, which is why the open system came in.But easily better than any two pot brake currently out there.

My Ti glide and suspension disc wheels. I’ve got these in the loft so to speak. Just cant bring myself to sell them though they are very desirable to the retro crowd.

DSCF3922

desperatebicycle

I think he did buy from Hope.. I mean why else would it have a Hope headbadge?

dyna-ti

I mean why else would it have a Hope headbadge?

It’s not a headbadge, its a sticker. Frame is i think an E3, probably 1993/94 judging from the rear canti mount,and lack of rear disc brake mounts.But Hope didn’t sell complete bikes back then. it was brakes/hubs/headsets and bits.

In fact its not dissimilar to my Clockwork spec wise, though i had the Z2’s.

Far too much money, but cool build all the same. Clearly to many on here have grown fat off their high end suss and fancy fox bits.

robertajobb

Pace forks… I remember a discussion years ago where someone was asking whether they should buy a set of Pace forks, or some Mazocchi Bombers.

The correct answer was “both”.  Because you could fit the Bombers to the bike and still ride, all the times that the Pace forks failed and we’re away being repaired.

mick_r

Dyna-ti’s date is about right but could be a smidge later.

Mrs won some of the forks as a NEMBA series prize in 94 but it was early-mid 95 before they were available. She was sponsored to ride some in 96 and they were generally reliable (apart from one bit coming unbonded….. And we never bothered getting the hydraulic damper). She was also sponsored to ride a fairly similar Orange frame in 96, but it didn’t have the lump of a canti hanger on the wishbone (because Shimano XT vee brakes became a thing in 96), but still had no rear disc mount and a head tube for a 1 inch steerer.

And the Hope rear hub from 96 did eventually crack the flange, admittedly after 15 years and multiple rim replacements.

desperatebicycle

It’s not a headbadge, its a sticker

Well **** me! Genius 😂

dyna-ti

Well **** me! Genius 😂

asbergery 🙂 I tend to take everything at face value.

maccruiskeen

What’s the travel on those forks?

that question is in the wrong tense 🙂

What was the travel on those forks? 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.