Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Scottish Highlands road trip- top ten MTB rides.
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Last year I rode the NC500 on my road bike and this year I have the opportunity for a sneaky 2-week trip with the MTB. I was thinking of a mix of natural, trail centres, camping, bothies and B&B.

My short list so far is:-
    Fort William-> ( next undecided) ->Torridon -> Laggan -> Braemar-> Dunkeld

I’ll probably spend a couple of days in Torridon.

Any recommendations for a must do ride?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

-At least one day on the gondola at Nevis
    – Ben Macdui via etchachan
    – Allt ruadh off of sgor gaoith
    – Beinn fhada loop
    – Torridon lollipop
    – KLL local stuff
    – Ben Lomond at sunset
    – Shatners Bassoon

pjm60
    Free Member

Golspie

mrhoppy

Between Fort William and Torridon I’d do the Beinn Fhada loop. Inshriach /Rothimurchus singletrack and laraig ghru would be worth a day too.

LD
    Free Member

Devils staircase -ciaran path
    Fort bill uplift – top chief
    Beinn Fhada loop
    Skye – Kilmare to Slig loop
    Torridon loop via loch Clair
    Golspie or Comrie croft
    Rothiemurchus, Badaguish, burnside etc
    Laggan – trail centre and Brown
    Ballater – Heartbreak ridge
    Dunkeld – Rake and ruin, electric dreams, cairn to cottage, twa dugs, hush hush, rudder.

Only if you like rocks!

Spin
    Free Member

Torridon loop via loch Clair

Better by the lollipop variation as it’s come to be known. Less road, less doubletrack more interesting riding.

Spin
    Free Member

Ben Macdui via etchachan

I think it’s important to add descending via etchachan.

Also, tag on the summit of Beinn Fhada to the aforementioned loop for full value.

steveh

Another vote for heartbreak ridge in ballater and some of the bits in the woods around the town too

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions, some great suggestions there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Devils staircase -ciaran path

er, naw.

Better by the lollipop variation as it’s come to be known. Less road, less doubletrack more interesting riding.

Yip, always do the lollipop, far better days riding.

highlandman
    Free Member

Braemar area:
    Lochnagar summit, climb from Deeside through Invercauld, Ballochbuie, pass east of Gelder Shiel. Ride, push & carry to summit up the Glas Allt. Descending west via Carn an’t Sagairt Mor to Callater and back to Braemar.
    Ben Avon summit, from Invercauld estate car park. N pass Slugain to Glas Allt Mor. Ride, push carry to the Sneck, then push up NE to main summit. Continue ENE all the way to Carn Fiaclach, turn R to Loch Builg and home via Cullardoch.
    Plenty more at lower levels too….

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just back from 4 nights in Ballater..where we rode Heartbreak Ridge ..an absolute gloop fest so I’m going to have to go back when it’s dry & dusty ..did some riding in the woods ( trail forks ) ..I also went up and rode Glenlivet ( surprisingly good ) and also the Moray Monster trails which has a blue to finish the day that’s one of the fastest trails I’ve ever ridden ..even in the wet ( can’t remember the name of the first section but it leads into Dragon’s something or other to finish ) ..another 1.5 hours or so on from Ballater but well worth a visit ..
    We probably would have done some more ” natural” riding rather than the two trail centres if it had been drier..but still had a great few days ..

highlandman
    Free Member

Yes, locals around Ballater are expressing some concern about the condition of a few of their best trails, including Mastermind and Heartbreak, both of which have suffered badly in recent rain and from heavier use. They’re natural trails, peat, rocks & roots and are very soft at the moment, ripping up from over-use.
    To be fair to everyone, it might be sensible to avoid them for a wee while until conditions improve. To quote a respectful line: ‘Just because you can ride something, doesn’t mean that you should’. Instead, how about go up to Linn of Dee and ride further up the loop in the upper glen above Derry Lodge and then through the Clash Fearnaig.. Or out to Corrour Bothy and back following the Dee to White Bridge? A very different day out but most of the trail stands up well to wet weather.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Day 1 Pink Floyd and Rack & Ruin Dunkeld. Rack&Ruin was superb my favourite trail of the trip so far. Roasting weather.
    Day 2. Scooby doo, Hong Kong phooey and Yer Maws Erse. Dusty and Laomy. My favourite trails of the trip so far. Roasting weather
    Sitting in the Indian in Ballater and doing Heartbreak Ridge tomorrow.

Scotland is awesone

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Scottish Highlands road trip- top ten MTB rides.’ is closed to new replies.