Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • School strike…
  • boxelder

dubious training days

Should teachers not be trained then? Those are directed days/hours, which every school must take.

We were messing around with a pension calculator yesterday and a 29 yr old women who had worked 8 yrs would end up paying £70 pounds per month extra, have to work to 68 and receive £180K less in pension over a 20 year period after retirement.

Average life expectancy of a male teacher working beyond 65 is 18 months, so if they raise the age too, it’ll be my wife who sees the reduced pension.

Does anybody seriously think tecahing is an easy job? There are lazy sorts in all walks of life, so we’ll all know some work-shy teachers. We constantly struggle to attract applicants for teaching posts and I’m in an average comp, within view/walking distance of the Lake District NP.
    Everyone else in the public sector should be encouraging the teachers to fight these changes. What hope do those in the private sector have after this (except those at the top/willing to put work before all else)?

EDIT: Yes! new page…….%)

project
    Free Member

Average life expectancy of a male teacher working beyond 65 is 18 months, so if they raise the age too, it’ll be my wife who sees the reduced pension.

It was a lot younger for Miners, quarrymen and steelworkers.

We constantly struggle to attract applicants for teaching posts and I’m in an average comp, within view/walking distance of the Lake District NP

Just perhaps, not every one wants to live next to a huge caravan testing and parking area, and with the M6 running past it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

one in Liverpool is on strike because the teachers who just work there,dontwant it to become an accademy

acadamies can set their own wages unlike LA ones

project
    Free Member

What a good idea, lets hope it continues.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the children the parents and all the governors want it to become an academy

Well obviously the governors want it to become an academy, otherwise it wouldn’t be an issue, but are you sure the parents and pupils do ?

Parents should vote on school academy plans, says Sefton Council leader

Quote :

“A COUNCIL leader has demanded schools considering becoming academies put their plans to full postal ballots – believing they are treating parents with “contempt”.

…..demands by parents for governors meetings to discuss the academy plans to be thrown open to the public have so far be in vain. Calls for parent ballots and public meetings on the plans also appear to have been snubbed.”

Liverpool council backs campaign against Shorefields college becoming an academy

Quote :

“Pupils, parents and teachers demonstrated, chanting “whose school? Our school!” as councillors arrived for the meeting.”

johnners
    Free Member

lets not forget the the current crop of retirees having paid too little to get their current pension deal so why are we not going after them rather than us?

I’d like to think you’re being ironic, but it’s too inane not to challenge. The “current crop of retirees” paid what they were contracted to pay and are getting what they were contracted to get. What is it you want to “go after them” for?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

acadamies can set their own wages unlike LA ones

project – Member

What a good idea, lets hope it continues.

It’s unlike you project to be happy about public sector workers receiving higher wages than they are currently receiving…..what’s all that about then ?

project
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Junkyard – Member

It’s unlike you project to be happy about public sector workers receiving higher wages than they are currently receiving…..what’s all that about then

Sometimes you need to cause a stir, our local academy the head now gets 160k.But then he is not classed as a public sector worker but a manager of the limited company that runs the school,funded by the various organisations and companies that have brought into the system

Wally

MPs can retire after 20 years’ service with an index-linked pension of half their £65,000 salary. They contribute just 10% of their pay, the Treasury hands over 25%. Do as I say, not as I do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the issue with affordability is that they are living for far longer than was expected. They have not contributed enough to cover their pensions. that’s what i would go after . Perhaps we can just carry on and expect the next generation to pick up our tab seeing that seems fair.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Excellent project, I can only assume that without this wage boost the school would not have improved under their stewardship.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

funded by the various organisations and companies that have brought into the system

Academies are funded by the government through Department for Education, who then passes it on to the Young People’s Learning Agency (YPLA) who then passes it on to the academies. A nice bit of work for a quango which we are told this government despises so much then.

boxelder

It was a lot younger for Miners, quarrymen and steelworkers.

and even aged 12, I supported the striking miners. Education was shot back then, so many didn’t have the option NOT to follow dad into hard labour.

Just perhaps, not every one wants to live next to a huge caravan testing and parking area, and with the M6 running past it.

🙄

project
    Free Member

Academies are semi-independent local state schools that provide a free education for all abilities. They are established by sponsors from business, faith or voluntary groups working with partners from the local community. Academies can be brand new schools in areas which need the extra school places, and are a viable option to many local authorities dealing with a school in special measures, or subject to an improvement notice. Historically academies were introduced to replace existing weak or underperforming schools.

johnners
    Free Member

They have not contributed enough to cover their pensions. that’s what i would go after

That’s awfully vague. Exactly what do you mean by “that’s what i would go after”? Specifically, who are “they”, what are you going after, and how do you plan to do it?

bruneep

Public pensions are funded by the workers themselves. here is how it works: every time a worker gets paid they get taken some money off, these go into what is called a pension fund, which the worker at the end of his working age claims back. so no other tax payer is involved at all.
    The disgusting thing is when the government utilizes steals from the pension fund to pay for other things, then the taxes are used to put back what has been taken from the pension fund, and may I add rightly so!

Junkyard
    Free Member

what do you want a white paper 😉

who are “they”,

Those retiring or retired , due to increased life span, who will draw out far more than they have paid in or were expected to claim. When the scheme was instigated they were not expected to live as long. They are getting back more than they paid for. People working now [ if you believe the shortfall arguments] are increasing their contributions so the commitment to those people can be met whilst getting a worse deal themselves. That does not seem fair to me in much the same way If we just shrugged paid the same and let the next lot sort it out whilst saying yes but we paid.
    I would suggest we say to those currently drawing pensions [ state ones] that they also need to share some of the pain caused by their longevity.
    You could easily pick holes in how this would be done but the principle may be worth a discussion.
    Why is their pension untouchable when the length of it is the part of the problem
    this may not be my finest constructed argument on here and i prepared for flaming.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

project – Member

Academies are semi-independent local state schools that provide a free education for all abilities. They are established by sponsors from business, faith or voluntary groups working with partners from the local community. Academies can be brand new schools in areas which need the extra school places, and are a viable option to many local authorities dealing with a school in special measures, or subject to an improvement notice. Historically academies were introduced to replace existing weak or underperforming schools.

Thank you project for that copied and pasted comment which you took from School Academies – beginners guide to setting up It was most informative.

Do you now fancy providing some sort of proof that all the children and all the parents in the school in Liverpool which you referred to, want academy status ?

Or did you just make that bit up and you don’t actually have any evidence to back up your claim ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

when i said state ones i dont mean the state pension I mean public sector pensions. C’mon elfin want that assist

Northwind

mattsccm – Member

Like many I joined as they generally didn’t strike.

Makes the overwhelming “yes” vote a bit hard to understand really. I suspect your “many” is “a tiny minority”

donsimon
    Free Member

That does not seem fair to me

What a wonderful description of life in general.
    How much longer can this be drawn out everyone realises that it’s just repetition? There must be an internet theory for this…

anagallis_arvensis

Gove on the Andrew Marr show:

Of course the ability to strike is a basic human right. I just think its wrong

you dont see hospital consulatants going on strike so teachers shouldnt

still cannot decide if he’s a total genius or completely stupid.

project
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Do you now fancy providing some sort of proof that all the children and all the parents in the school in Liverpool which you referred to, want academy status ?

Or did you just make that bit up and you don’t actually have any evidence to back up your claim ?

Posted 11 hours ago # Report-Post

according to other news sources they the children and parents all agreed, now its become political, with the kids as the fulcrum.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You have commendable powers if you sat through it even for a tory overlord he is smug. i think he in can even out smug Blair.
    I always think where are these news sources when someone tells me what news sources say.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you dont see hospital consulatants going on strike so teachers shouldnt

“still cannot decide if he’s a total genius or completely stupid”

I don’t think he’s either, I think he’s merely relying on the fact that many people have been honed by the press and media into believing that a one day strike by teachers will be an unmitigated disaster which will cause untold chaos and misery…….almost a life or death situation. And going by the some of the ranting on here, some indeed seem to think that it’s a life or death situation – the Tory press has done its job well.

Of course if Gove thinks one day off school for kids is that important, then perhaps he could do something about the Tory introduced Baker Days, which I guess you could say amount to 5 one day strikes every year. Even though some headteachers appear to use them very wisely :

Day trip to France is least we deserve

“The teachers, from Gravesend Grammar School, Kent, used one of their five Baker Days for a trip to Boulogne.”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

according to other news sources they the children and parents all agreed, now its become political, with the kids as the fulcrum.

I provided “news sources” which says the opposite, where are your “news sources” ?

I think we can safely say you made that bit about all the children and parents agreeing to academy status up.

johnners
    Free Member

what do you want a white paper

Not really, just more clarity about who the “they” you would “go after” are. So it’s Public Sector pensions then, and you don’t think that the recipients have paid in enough to be allowed to draw them. What you’re overlooking is that many Public Sector pensions were never intended to be funded by employee contributions, and neither was there a mechanism where the employee could choose to do so.

Today’s PS pensioners (average pension £4k-ish I believe, but in any case not huge) had no opportunity or requirement to fund their pension in any other way, and it’s impossible for them to now carry out any retro-active financial planning without a time machine – these are the ones you want to “go after”?

donsimon
    Free Member

I think we can safely say you made that bit about all the children and parents agreeing to academy status up.

Does that mean that if I can’t see something, it doesn’t exsit?

duckman

Nope D.S, however it means if he cannot produce anything other than a vague claim parents are all for it, and kids as well ( AYE RIGHT) Then projects previous when talking about public service workers has to be taken into account and bullshit called, as Ernie has done.

donsimon
    Free Member

Edit: Can’t be arsed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Does that mean that if I can’t see something, it doesn’t exsit?

It means I want to see your evidence, otherwise the evidence which I’ve provided and claims the opposite, stands.

And if you couldn’t figure that out don simon, you’re either not very bright or, you just get an irresistible urge to argue with ernie_lynch no matter how inane the point/argument is. I suspect it’s a little of both.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not very bright ernie… Or I simply can’t be arsed through boredom…

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘School strike…’ is closed to new replies.