Home Forums Chat Forum Scanning for lost car keys

• This topic has 53 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Scanning for lost car keys
  • hugo
    Free Member

A weird one is often that the key falls out of a pocket IN the car and is wedged under the seat somewhere.

Also, I’ve known things to fall through the lining of a sofa and be caught by the fabric of the base. So just floating around inside,if that makes sense.

CountZero

Does the car start? If so, there’s a key in the car. If not, then I’d buy a couple of Tile trackers to put on the new set of keys.
    Someone at work managed to lose both keys to a 19-plate Vauxhall Mokka, which required a visit from a man in a van, unfortunately.

A weird one is often that the key falls out of a pocket IN the car and is wedged under the seat somewhere.

Also, I’ve known things to fall through the lining of a sofa and be caught by the fabric of the base. So just floating around inside,if that makes sense.

Yeah, people have a habit of parking a car, then tossing the key(s) onto a seat, then they bounce down the side and hide behind the seat rails. A single key has even gone down between the screen and the front edge of the dash! Of course this can only happen if it’s a single key not on a ring with other items, which does make losing keys more difficult.
    I’m always putting mine down and forgetting where, usually in a pocket, but I keep the spare on a shelf by the front door, by the landline.

ads678

I lost 2 put of 3 sets of garage keys. And was paranoid about losing the 3rd set so fitted a new lock.

Few months later found one set in my daughter’s bedroom and the other in the peg bag!!

sirromj

I bought a pair of those Tiles because the OH is always getting in a fluster looking for her keys and sometimes I do too. Unfortunately having Bluetooth and location permanently turned on, on the mobile caused too many little red lights to flash uncontrollably inside my tin foil hat but also the Tile itself was massive and didn’t play nicely with all the other keys on the ring so had to go. Not sure why hers isn’t used. So I built a key rack to go in the hall and nearly always place my keys on it so it works for me 95% of the time. Unfortunately it’s too inconvenient for a busy mother ha ha ha.

When I lose them the last place I look is the first place placed at the end of the list of places to look. Either because of inconvenience or deemed in error unlikelihood.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

So I built a key rack to go in the hall

Don’t do this, if the rack is in sight of the letterbox. Otherwise they’ll get “fished” and one day you’ll go on holiday and when you get back your cars gone and your house emptied.

pondo

Our first holiday in Mrs Pondo’s shiny new car (twelve years ago!!), we went to the beach and at her direction put the keys in a plastic bag and buried them under the head of our towels. Packed up at the end of the day, took (I swear!) two steps before remembering the buried keys – 90 minutes of digging turned up nothing, only metal detectors saved the day.

We’ve never done it again.

dom777
    Free Member

I’ve had the Tile pro for a while – bonus you can use it to find your phone too. Should be no problem leaving BT and Location on. Pretty standard things to leave on these days. Battery usage is about a couple percent over a days use. Range is realistically not going to be as good as stated so recommend the pro.

oldtennisshoes

Would that keyfinder insurance that costs about £15 a year and usually available as an add on to other insurance products cover you for this?

tuboflard

On a snowboarding holiday on the US, finished the day of wonderful powder at Snowbird in Utah, the wife of one of the group threw a strop in the parking lot for some reason and decided that the best course of action would be to throw the hire car key 40ft in to a powder filled and trampled space.

Cue the blokes of the trip forming a search line on hands and knees doing a regimented grid search of the until said keys were found. About 45 minutes later. Less than impressed.

sirromj

Don’t do this, if the rack is in sight of the letterbox

Don’t worry it isn’t!

duncancallum

If you’ve 1 key try timpsons

CountZero

Unfortunately having Bluetooth and location permanently turned on, on the mobile caused too many little red lights to flash uncontrollably inside my tin foil hat

Ummmm, you’re not one of those people who believe that walking past someone who’s got a laptop outside of a cafe will allow them to extract all of your data from your phone, are you? Because, while that’s theoretically possible, it’s never, ever, to my knowledge, happened in real life.
    BT is permanently on on my phone, as are location services for certain apps like TomTom and other navigation utilities, and weather apps; everything else is set to ‘only in use’.
    I’m sure the Tile itself is fairly big, but surely you only have one or two items on the car key, everything else on a separate keyring with a separate house key? My car key is separate, I don’t want to be carrying it around at work all day, it goes into a pocket on my rucksack, and my spare car key sits on a small shelf by the phone in the hall.
    I’ll be getting a couple of the Apple key tracker things when they’re released, because they link to the Find My system, and they have replaceable batteries; I have a habit of just putting my car key down or in a pocket at home while doing ‘stuff’, then forgetting where it is, the Apple finder apparently works on a different wireless system to BT, with a location accuracy to roughly 15cm, which I think I need…🤪

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not sure where the idea that Tiles are big has come from.
    We’ve got a couple on key rings and they’re not big…. Barely bigger than the coin battery that powers them.

benp1

I was going to get some Tile fobs but would prefer to stick with Apple, price dependent

I rarely lose my keys, they’re quite big (car key separate). I regularly lose my wallet though, it’s tiny and I often leave it in the pocket of shorts/trousers because I don’t know it’s in there. A quick search through recently worn clothing items usually fixes that!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Scanning for lost car keys’ is closed to new replies.