• This topic has 53 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Scanning for lost car keys
  • chaos

I’m just wondering if there is some clever way to detect where a set of lost car keys might be using a phone, radio or even something more techie like a Spectrum Analyzer.

Basically, yes, we’ve gone and managed to lose both sets of car keys! Spent a couple of days searching everywhere we can think of but no luck so far and are pretty sure they aren’t in the car itself as it’s one of those keyless entry systems (2013 Mazda 6) that detects if the key is inside / nearby to let you in and start the car.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Getting locks replaced and new keys is going to cost a lot even with insurance so I may as well try a more techy approach first. Unfortunately am not an electronics engineer though.

jam-bo

Pay for a new set.

The old set will turn up just after you have the new set fitted.

chaos

Well we would to be honest and am getting quotes but keys + locks + recovery to garage = £££.  insurance excess = ££

ta11pau1

They’ll be in the last place you look.

Sorry…

Do you have small people that may have hidden/buried/fed the keys to the dog/next doors cat?

nickjb
    Free Member

it’s one of those keyless entry systems (2013 Mazda 6) that detects if the key is inside / nearby to let you in and start the car.

Can you move the car around until it kicks in? Then the keys will be close by

ta11pau1

On keyless cars the keys normally have to be within a couple of feet of the door/ignition to be ‘active’ so unless he’s parked right next to the house that won’t work.

hols2
    Free Member

You’re probably looking in the wrong place. If you go back to where you last saw them, you’ll probably find they’re there waiting for you.

johndoh
    Free Member

This app?

Edit: Not this app

fossy

Check the fridge !

johndoh
    Free Member

Check the fridge !

Someone I worked with years ago put her car keys in the work fridge so she wouldn’t forget her shopping that she had put in there, she immediately forgot she had done it then spent hours and hours (and eventually getting public transport to and from work for several days) before they were re-found 😂

(She somehow even took the shopping out without remembering about or seeing the keys in there).

chaos

Yep, unfortunately the car is too far away – i’ve tried all doors and boot which would respond if the key was close enough.

Fridge – check.

Bin – bin lorry came this morning 🙁 may as well double-check the recycling bin though.

Last horrible thought is digging up all the tree saplings and plants my wife planted out the other day.  I guess a metal detector might help with that?  not that i’ve got one.

ta11pau1

Coat pocket?
    Washing machine?

Have you retraced your steps the last time you drove anywhere and came back into the house?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Could be worse.

At least it’s the car keys.

I have managed to lose my original wedding ring somewhere on our expansive estate *

Took it off while offloading some firewood from the trailer put it in my pocket and zipped it. Promptly forgot about it being there and had the car keys in and out at various points before I went inside and went to put it back on…..not there and I know I did not leave the property while it was in my pocket. …..that was three weeks ago and even after a mega tidy up it’s still no where to be seen. ……at least your car keys give out a signal….a useless one but a signal 🙂

* Actually quite small garden.

chaos

The irony is that the last ‘drive’ was all of 3 feet to move the car so a delivery van could park outside the house.

Shorts pocket used so chances are it slipped out while squatting to pick up heavy boxes and carry round the back.  If that’s happened then either it’s been dug in with the aforementioned plants or some scally spotted them and is biding their time to come back and nick the car.

I foresee a fun weekend of digging and weed clearing.

spooky_b329

Get someone else to check, they’ll probably find them in 5 minutes!

matt_outandabout

My second key for the ovlov was missing since start of lockdown….

… My staff jacket pocket yesterday = missing key found.

timbog160

I stepped out of my front door one winters morning a few years ago and went completely on my arse as a result of ice. My keys flew out of my hand and I spent literally hours looking for them over the next few weeks. 4 years later the gardener found them in some bushes 😂. Car was long gone by then though!

johndoh
    Free Member

I lost my Fitbit whilst cutting a hedge a few years ago – I hunted high and low for it in and around the hedge then went through the recycling bin with a fine tooth comb and couldn’t find it. Two years later we decided to remove the hedge entirely and, as I was hacking away at it to strip it back enough to remove it, I saw my Fitbit sat there hanging on a branch.

A quick wipe down and a recharge and it was as good as new so I sold it on Ebay 🙂

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I know it’s of no help now- i’m an inveterate key loser. My car is keyless entry too. I’ve attached my keys to a brightly coloured neck lanyard which i wear whilst driving. When not driving the keys live in a biscuit tin – i’ve trained myself to never put them anywhere else other than round my neck – lost too many keys/spent endless hours searching for them when i’ve put them down somewhere safe. Good luck in finding them.

mechanicaldope

What was the delivery van delivering? Did you bring it in through the normal front door or maybe through a garage where you put the keys down quickly to help with the delivery?

zilog6128

lost too many keys/spent endless hours searching for them when i’ve put them down somewhere safe.

why not get one of those Tile tracker things then?! (Probably goes for anyone with expensive to replace keys! Often thought about getting some myself, nothing more infuriating than hunting round for keys when you’re already late!!)

wombat

ta11pau1
    Subscriber
    They’ll be in the last place you look.

The reason for this?

Because when you find them, you stop looking 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

chip
    Free Member

Wait till you lose something else, then you will find the keys while looking for that. Then you will find that while looking for something else again. And so it goes on.

ta11pau1

The reason for this?

Because when you find them, you stop looking

Always remember this from a Lee Evans stand routine 😁

fossy

My wife put her wedding ring and engagement ring in a pair of old bright pink socks whilst we were away. On returning home, she had a clear out and threw the old socks away. Realised a few weeks later that she’d chucked her rings. Fortunately the insurance paid out, but we hadn’t realised how much gold etc has risen, so our ‘max’ insured amount was now too low – just had to use what we got paid.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Try asking a vehicle locksmith if they can make new keys. The manufacturer should be able to give you the key code, given the VIN and proof of ownership. Even if you find the others, you’ll have spares!

Flaperon

I’d keep looking. If both sets of keys are lost on some cars it’s a nightmare of a job to persuade the car that the replacement should be added to the list of approved keys.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The manufacturer should be able to give you the key code,

Oh they can. But you’ll pay handsomely for it.

I was quoted 300 quid for the number last time I needed a key without it.

I was then quoted 99 quid a key on top.

I spent 120 quid on dealer level software and interrogated the ECU till I got the number . Still have and use the software today.

lancebitchin
    Free Member

You left them on the delivery driver’s truck. Call them up and ask for them back
    😉

Wally

Invite sone mates over, couple of drinks and then offer £50 for the person who finds the keys first. Sit back and watch your house turned over.

singlespeedstu

Have you checked in the fruit bowl at a friends house?😜

perchypanther
    Free Member

Simply carry the car around your house. Keep trying to open the door.

When it unlocks, then you’re “hot”

boombang
    Free Member

I was hoping for an answer to this. We moved house just over 2 years ago and although we think the spares key is somewhere in this building we have no idea where.

£280 to get a replacement, get it coded, and wipe the lost key.

StirlingCrispin

Going forward you want a Tile.

It’s a USB-thing that can be called from your phone.

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-gb/

For this problem. Good luck!

ampthill

After I left home I went back to my parents home to collect a book. I walked straight to the book case and browsers for the book. I then couldn’t find my car keys. Despite knowing they were in a space 3 feet by 3 feet it took hours to find my keys. Next to the book cases were 3 stacking boxes of papers. The keys were at the bottom of the bottom box. You just got to keep looking

cbike
    Free Member

Stop actively looking. Be patient. They’ll turn up. You will have looked there already.

breadcrumb

I spent the first couple of months of lockdown with no glasses, checked all the usual places and could not find them.

I went out to my work wear draw for an old t shirt one day and the glasses had fallen in.

chaos

Well, thanks for all the suggestions but there’s a thrilling part 2 to this. We’ve found the older keyfob that was lost a couple of years ago. Yay! 🙂 As ever I could swear I had gone through every coat pocket but there it was, in my partners summer-only denim jacket. At least the sweat is off for being the one to apparently have lost both. That new (to me) bike is back on the cards…

In lieu of carrying the car or the house around I was getting close to considering a bit of tin foil, a length of wire and seeing if I could somehow relay the signal. And then calling the insurance anyway.

So off to dealers next week to get a spare cut and coded + an investment in Tile or equivalent coming up. Recommendations welcome.

Greybeard
    Free Member

So off to dealers next week to get a spare cut and coded

Check out independent auto locksmiths – cheaper than dealers, but depending on the manufacturer they may need two keys so be unable to do it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Scanning for lost car keys’ is closed to new replies.