Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 290 total)
  • SaveThePlanetTrackWorld
  • cinnamon_girl

Who’s aiming for a more eco lifestyle this year? What changes will you be making?

Go on … inspire me. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Erm…

Sorry, polar bears.

😳

stevious

Giving up air travel after a few years of fairly regular flying. Also have and electric car on order.

rene59
    Free Member

I’ll be doing a lot less driving. Not a deliberate attempt at being more eco but a good side effect.

bigjim

In B4 the trolls…

Don’t have a car any more and will delay replacing it as long as I can, keep cycling to work most days, don’t eat meat so often as I used to, keep it to one return flight a year, and hope to return to working in the renewable energy industry after a couple of years in forestry. Also looking at longishish term plan of building a nice modern little home with high energy efficiency and solar, ground source heating etc. Oh and a wood burner fuelled by wood from the garden.

cinnamon_girl

Sorry, polar bears.

Adopting? Sponsoring? Eating?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

One in the eye for the bedwetters and libtards 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAkrzEqHHyA[/video]

cinnamon_girl

Always interested to hear what others are doing and some of you are really making an effort. 8)

lambchop
    Free Member

Veganism? Watch Cowspiracy and Earthlings!

wallop

Refusing to buy shit which is overpackaged.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m cutting down on buying things in single-use plastic, and spreading the word on it.

Murray

Seeing just how worn a cassette and chainrings can get and still work. So far, the answer is “very” – still working well with a missing tooth on the cassette and one on big chainring.

Refusing to buy stuff if I can avoid it.

Planning on running both cars for as long as possible. Last one lasted 150,000 miles before starting to be too unreliable for weekly long distance commute.

Working from home as much as possible.

Houns

Not spawning
    Cutting down on meat
    Reducing the amount of plastic

airtragic
    Free Member

Cutting right down on meat, and a posting back Home to a cycle commute

molgrips
    Free Member

Not necessarily this year, but as soon as we can replace the one car, probably when it’s 15 or so, it’ll be a used Zoe or something.

I had planned to stop driving to Swindon and take the train instead – but I’m no longer working there 🙁

cinnamon_girl

No chance of becoming vegetarian! Will continue to support farm shops who rear and sell decent quality meat.

Have quite a production line with my home-made cleaning products and essential oil concoctions. Buying in bulk means 20 litres of white vinegar, 5 kilos of Borax substitute etc etc. and finding somewhere to store it.

Will next be attempting to make liquid soap and shower gel which should really reduce plastic.

Noticeable reduction in my recycling, really am thinking more about what I buy.

myti
    Free Member

Choosing products with less packaging or recyclable packing. Making my own hand wash to fill a reusable dispenser so I don’t have to keep throwing away the plunger that comes in those bottles. My dad does this and has sent me the recipe.

Eat less meat and be more strict about only buying higher welfare meat or local game.

cinnamon_girl

myti – any chance of the recipe please?

sharkattack

I walk to and from work every day
    I’ve massively cut down on meat
    I haven’t spawned any replacement humans
    I’ve got two sick bikes but don’t do gadgets or other hobbies so I buy almost nothing

I plan to counteract all this nonsense buy buying an Impreza Wagon and assassinating B-roads blasting fire out of the exhaust at least once a week.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Still having a cat instead of a child.

airtragic
    Free Member

Oh yeah, that too!

darrell
    Free Member

Already try and buy local food only but could go hunting and fishing a bit more

Only eat meat once a week as is

but everyone is right about the plastic horror

do as much “upcycling” as possible

ransos
    Free Member

We recently switched back to having milk delivered… big reduction in plastic waste.

myti
    Free Member

Cinnamon girl. This is the link he sent me for the method:http://chickensintheroad.com/house/easy-homemade-liquid-soap-shampoo/

His recipe is 190g water
    Lye-KOH 90% pure 108g
    Castor oil 100g
    Coconut oil 100g
    Olive oil 200g
    Sunflower oil 100g

It is a yellow liquid and it turns into a white foam as it comes out of the dispenser. I’m going to try adding lime oil as a fragrance but he had his plain.

andyl
    Free Member

His recipe is 190g water
    Lye-KOH 90% pure 108g
    Castor oil 100g
    Coconut oil 100g
    Olive oil 200g
    Sunflower oil 100g

with all those raw ingredients you need to get hold of I wonder how eco that actually is. It’s not like coconut oil is a locally grown product.

enfht
    Free Member

Will try and eat more grey squirrels and muntjac deer.

piemonster

I’m so far away from being eco it’s absurd.

But I’m the meantime, any ideas for cling film alternatives would be appreciated.

cinnamon_girl

Thank you myti, that’s proper soap with the lye! Lime sounds a nice fragrance too.

I’m only making simple stuff so the recipes I’ll be trying use liquid castile with either glycerine or almond oil.

piemonster

Will try and eat more grey squirrels and muntjac deer.

Muntjac, aren’t they a bit rubbery? I’ve thought for a while we should be eating more wild Deer due to a lack or predators.

What do Badgers taste like?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I as bad last year. Only cycled to work a few times. Started off on a low meat and low dairy diet but fell back into normal eating. One lingually flight not for work but to visit family.

Plan to cycle to work more, did it for the first t e in ages today but the next month or so will be difficult as I will be away mostly.

Going too try to reduce plastic use. Moving away from shower gel to soap, no take away coffee, try the Bamboo toothbrush. This still leaves shampoo and cleaning products. I can’t see making my own as realistic for me.

Try and do some more reuse and “upcycing” rather than buying new. I used to do only this but the last two years of work travel have killed energy and enthusiasm and time.

Ideally reduce work travel but it’s all necessary rather than just for meetings. 🙁

cinnamon_girl

But I’m the meantime, any ideas for cling film alternatives would be appreciated.

YES! The Scottish eco blogger I follow has some good ideas such as covering with a plate or bowl or pyrex lid. Even a saucepan lid would do. Obviously for anything with a strong odour you’ll have to resort to clingfilm. Or have a bowl of bicarb in the bottom of the fridge.

cinnamon_girl

Muntjac, aren’t they a bit rubbery? I’ve thought for a while we should be eating more wild Deer due to a lack or predators.

I’ve cooked muntjac, it was so grim that even the dog wouldn’t it! Try your farmers market for venison, pheasant used to be really cheap to buy and of course there’s rabbit.

cinnamon_girl

This still leaves shampoo and cleaning products. I can’t see making my own as realistic for me.

Everything I make is really simple and doesn’t involve heating on a hob. The same ingredients can be used across a number of recipes, ie washing powder and dishwasher powder.

myti
    Free Member

with all those raw ingredients you need to get hold of I wonder how eco that actually is. It’s not like coconut oil is a locally grown product.

I already buy coconut/olive/sunflower oil for cooking with (all which come in recyclable containers)and was more trying to reduce plastic waste than make locally grown soap! I will purchase the other ingredients bulk so making a years worth or more at a time. Normal hand-wash has a long list of non locally sourced ingredients anyway but I suppose I could use rape oil instead to keep it local.

stevious

For reducing plastic, we’re trying a company called ‘Splosh’ that send you all of their products in little dissolvable sachets. A bit like the Guy Martin bike cleaner stuff.

deft
    Free Member

Not buying McVities fig rolls that’s for sure. They come in a plastic tray to make it look like you get more. The Sainsburys ones a) come in a cardboard tray and b) you get loads more

cinnamon_girl

Just been reading the Splosh website and it’s pretty impressive. Great that pouches can be re-used time and time again, very eco-friendly.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Being as the Pentagon and it’s global operations are the number 1 consumer of fossil fuels on the planet, reckon I’ll stick it to the military industrial complex good n proper.

andyl
    Free Member

Family on TV with 20 kids made me think of this topic.

While on the subject of packaging, everyone please email your supermarket CS and ask why they still use black plastic when a lot of councils can’t recycle it. Was going round and round getting nowhere with Waitrose over it a couple of years ago so just gave up and stopped buying any fruit and veg they sold in black plastic trays. I wanted to dump it on their CS desk every week but the OH thought that would be making too much of a scene 🙁

darrell
    Free Member

although to be fair, and I applaud everyone’s efforts, individual contributions like these have a very small impact. And if anyone flies abroad on vacation then that totally trashes any “saving” you may have made on anything else. Real impact must be forced by government on business and consumers

but I still try cause it makes me feel better about myself

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 290 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.