Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Route from iPhone to Garmin ~ Help!!
  • Premier Icon P20

In theory you can create a route on your phone or download a gpx file and then export it via the garmin connect app to the edge 810. In practice, I haven’t managed it…..

any advice on how to get it working? Or if it does even work?

Set up:

IPhone se. Various apps to create route. Garmin connect. Edge 810 on latest update. Connected to WiFi or 4g

Premier Icon TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Only way I’ve found is create or import a route on connect.garmin.com. This then appears in the training/courses folder in connect app and can be transferred to my 820.

However the connect website is not mobile friendly!

Premier Icon alanw2007

The latest connect app (ios) has a course builder. It’s hidden away on the More tab / Training / Courses. You can then choose “Create Course”.
    Once you have made the course and saved it, you need to click the three dots on the top right and choose “Send to Device”. Next time you sync the 810, the course should be transferred.

Alternatively, you can go to the Strava mobile website (not the app) and click on the GPX link for an activity. This will bring up an option to open the gpx in connect. Connect will ask for the course type, and will then import the GPX. Save it and mark it for transfer, then sync. I assume this also works for the likes of RidewithGPS.

Premier Icon zilog6128

If you’ve created the course on Strava there are a couple of ConnectIQ apps on the Garmin that can load them (Strava Routes or RouteCourse)

Premier Icon alanw2007

If you’ve created the course on Strava there are a couple of ConnectIQ apps on the Garmin that can load them (Strava Routes or RouteCourse)

That should work for the 820 but the 810 doesn’t have ConnectIQ; you have to go through the Connect app and sync.

Premier Icon nickdavies

Its terrible on the app. How i do it, is i create the course or view the course on an ipad or laptop etc, you cant get to the courses properly from your phone or the app. Goto connect.garmin.com, sign in then go to your courses, and create one or view one. If on an ipad you cant browse to the course from connect as it wants to use the app, if you login first then google garmin connect courses and click the riht link it gets you in that way. Then look at the url for the course you are viewing, and type that into your phone browser. It should load the course page up, click send to device and it should open the app and send the course to your device if its connected. Its hit and miss though.

Premier Icon DavidB

There is another way but I cannot get it to work

1) install Firefox browser
    2) download a GPX using Firefox from your favourite route site
    3) in downloads click the GPX and select “Send to Garmin Connect”

I get an error message for 3) saying Oops we could not load your courses. I believe this is down to a corrupt cache on my phone or something.

TBH I’m well pissed off with Garmin as my Oregon has Bluetooth and it should therefore be a doddle getting a route to it from my phone.

Premier Icon zilog6128

^^^ I have done something similar in the past. You don’t need to use Firefox (at least I didn’t) as you can now download stuff into your Files area from Safari.

I didn’t do “send to Garmin Connect” (assume you’re talking about the app?) I manually imported the file through the GC website (on my iPhone). However often it doesn’t work, depending on what you used to create the GPX. I ran it through another website first (Gpsies?) to “fix” it so GC would accept it. Yes, it was a massive ball ache!!

Premier Icon P20

Thank you all. The web page does seem to allow a little more progress, but getting connection errors in app. Will keep trying and come back

Premier Icon nickdavies

Try connecting the phone to the app, then force close the app and click the link without having the app open, it shoudl launch itself and then connect.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.