Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rockshox latest Debonair C1 ‘upgrade’ vs. mid stroke support?
  • Premier Icon james
    Free Member

I’m sure this must have been done before but the forum search has majorly gone downhill since I used it last

I’ve a 2018 Pike RC B1. (Boost, Debonair, Charger 2)(1 volume spacer, 160mm, 650b)
    I flip flop around 95kg, so on the heavy side.

I’ve a trade off between general suppleness and mid stroke support in steeper front brake scenarios, losing most of the general suppleness to gain very little in support
    The LScompression adjustment doesn’t seem to make a massive difference either, aside from throttling the supplety/feel

Is the new C1 ‘upgrade’ debonair spring any cop? The one with the extended footnut marketed to eliminate the ‘suck down’ off the top. How does its mid stroke support and ride height compare?

So far the £300+ ‘upgrade’ to Charger 2.1 has put me off, how does that compare to the Charger 2?

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

*trade off between suppleness and mid stroke support being trying (sometimes a lot) more air

Premier Icon kula72
    Free Member

I’m selling my 2018 rev with charger 2.1 with 2021 and 2020 debonair shafts. I probably should have got the rc2 rather than rct3, as I keep comparing with my old pike which isn’t helpful. But even so I’ve struggled with the same balance (I’m 90kg+ too), and when I have found a setting that’s acceptable, it doesn’t seem to stick and I’m back fiddling with tokens etc again in a ride or two. No air is being lost and it’s serviced on the button. It just feels sensitive to small changes in my weight (riding with or without pack) or temps or something else and isn’t consistent.

The best I got was 30% sag (as accurate as I can, being really careful) and 4 tokens in a 120mm fork. I agree the LSC does not have much of an affect. The 2021 shaft doesn’t help or particularly hinder much IME.

I’ve ordered a Z2 for simplicity and I can put any inconsistency down to it being a cheap fork then 😀

Premier Icon Pyro

I’ve just upgraded by 2018 140mm Revelation to the new Debonair C1. I can’t comment on anything hugely technical because they’re not things I dwell on too much, but it does feel ‘better’ to me. Haven’t hit anything massively rocky and technical on it, only had one ride out since the upgrade, but on the basis of last night’s pretty rooty couple of hours out I like the way it feels more.

Definitely stands higher by about 10-12mm, it was close to the 130mm 10% Sag marker lines previously and now at least looks like it’s sat pretty much where it should be at least. I dropped the pressure a little to get it to 25% sag, but I added tokens in at the same time (previous owner ran none, I added two). I’m 83kg-ish and running 80psi in it, seems as supply as I want it to be (which it didn’t before) and isn’t blowing through the travel so I’m happy.

For £40 and an hour or so of footling around, it seemed like it was worthwhile, especially since I got the fork at a decent price second hand.

Premier Icon sofaboy73
    Free Member

following with interest as there seems to be really mixed reports out there on the C1 air shaft.

i’m looking to extend my forks to 170 and C1 air shaft is all that appears to be available now.

most reports seem to say firmer off the top but that’s about all the consensus i could find, some saying the initial stroke is too firm & wooden, other saying it more like a fox fork off the top – firm, but not overly harsh.

seems to be no consensus about mid stroke support with some saying it’s great and solves the wallow and other saying that it dives straight through the travel as the piston head has been designed to achieve full travel more often.

i is confused, but interested to hear more real world experience

Premier Icon pembo6

I’m also interested in other people’s experience with this. I’ve made the change to the C1 air spring on my Lyrik. To be honest, I haven’t noticed any difference other than the definite higher ride height. I’m also considering installing one in my Pike, but I’ve read very mixed reviews online. From what I’ve seen, the general consensus seems to be, great upgrade for Lyrik. Not so great for Pike.

Premier Icon jbn84
    Free Member

I installed the new C1 head on a 2020 Pike Select (RC damper) 140mm 29er, I’m around 75kg. Took a while to dial in, I’ve dropped the air pressure a decent amount and gone from 3 to 0 tokens to get it feeling right. Is it better? Hard to say, especially as it took a while to realise I had to change settings a significant amount with the new spring, so I can’t say I rode it back-to-back with the old spring in a comparable manner. I was pretty happy with the old air spring, tried the new one out of curiosity, I’m pretty happy with this one now too. Worth a go if you’re curious, especially if you feel your current fork is lacking something, it’s relatively cheap and easy to try. Just be prepared to spend some time setting the fork up again.

Premier Icon chakaping

i’m looking to extend my forks to 170 and C1 air shaft is all that appears to be available now.

Which fork?

I’m about to go 170 to 180mm on my 29er Lyrik, so will have the 170mm B1 shaft to sell.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’re looking for supple initial movement but decent midstroke support, that seems to be pretty much the intention and feedback with the AWK from Chickadeehill. Might be worth a look.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

The new vorsprung add on would be the best addition to the fork but not cheap.

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

Vorsprung secus looks fairly extreme an add on. Cost aside I’m thinking its a bit vulnerable stuck out next to the brake caliper like that ..

Had a bit of a read into the luftkappe, not compatible with the B1 2019 or 2021 C1 air pistons. I presume it’d still be worthwhile given I’d have to get another 160mm spring?

(Didn’t realise my original 150mm 2018 spring isn’t a ‘proper’ debonair either compared to my 2019 160mm spring. I could see they’re different but never realised the original is only sort of a half debonair)

Premier Icon chakaping

Had a bit of a read into the luftkappe, not compatible with the B1 2019 or 2021 C1 air pistons

The Debonair air shafts effectively do the same thing as the Luftkappe, increasing the negative air chamber size, so you wouldn’t want both anyway. I prefer the feel of them to the Luftkappe as well (bit more plush).

Would really like to try the Secus, as Vorsprung Steve doesn’t usually tend to make outlandish claims – so it must be quite good.

Premier Icon oikeith

Not sure what model Lyriks I have, they came on a complete I picked up in 2017 and are a RC version, last year when getting them serviced I put last years new air shaft in and went from 3 tokens and 75PSI to 1 token and 95 PSI and it felt a lot better. Forks are booked in for next week and the new C1 airshaft will be going in so will report back.

Premier Icon mudfish

How about the RUNT

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Runt is a good idea, but just the American version of the German AWK. Depends where the OP is based I guess.

Premier Icon james
    Free Member

Based in UK
    Would want to spend loads on them as they’ve had a bit of riding through them now and keep having ideas of swapping the bike for something with stiffer frame/fork/wheels. My general aversion to pedalling even more weight uphill has stopped me so far

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.