Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Robbie Williams
  • redmex
    Free Member

What a naff cover of Tears for Fears record, I’m not their greatest fan but the original is so much better

DezB
    Free Member

Everything he does is shit so why is this a surprise?

5plusn8
    Free Member

EWTRTW is a brilliant song, for me one of THE songs of the 80’s. Why wouldn’t any arse with a modicum of talent hang on to its coat tails.

the-muffin-man

In his defence this a Trevor Horn thing rather than a Robbie thing.

TREVOR HORN Announces new album ‘Trevor Horn Reimagines The 80s’ – Listen to track

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d agree, and I don’t really like his music, but annoyingly I was there for the 2000 Glastonbury set, it was annoyingly amazing and for that alone, I can’t hate him.

binners

I dread to think what this sounds like. Luckily I’m unlikely to hear it

The original vinyl has the bonus of featuring surely one of the best B sides ever…

Drac

I’d agree, and I don’t really like his music, but annoyingly I was there for the 2000 Glastonbury set, it was annoyingly amazing and for that alone, I can’t hate him.

He’s a good performer but he’s not the a great singer.

DezB
    Free Member

He’s a truly awful singer. I was round my brother’s once and there was this horrendous sound coming out of their speakers.. like, a really offensively bad cover of a Frank Sinatra song. It offended my ears so much I had to ask what it was. (Sorry, I really could rant for hours about this bloke!)
    Sis-in-law says its the swing covers album Williams did. I can’t for the life of me fathom out wh anyone would listen to that when you could listen to Frank, or any of the others and hear a really gorgeous voice singing the songs (I’m going on a bit aren’t I) . Then there was that time I was in a shop and this song came on with the ner-ner-na-ner-ner (think child wagging fingers with their thumbs in their ears) melody. WTF? I had to leave the shop it was soooo bad!
    Trevor Horn has gone way down in my estimations (I’m sure he’s gutted). What a bastard inflicting this shite on the world. (I’ve finished now)

tjagain

It may not be fashionable amongst the demographic here to like Williams but objectively a decent singer, a good performer and responsible for a couple of songs that really will stand the test of time

bikebouy
    Free Member

Agree.

I was “devastated” when I heard this on the radio, the good thing about the song is it’s so shite that it resembles nothing like the start of the original.. so you have time to turn the radio off 🤣🥴

DezB
    Free Member

Agree.

Yay! At last 😀

kayak23

Terrible.

The way he sings the line ‘acting on your best behaviour’ but in the manner of the next line, ‘turn your back on mother nature’ is completely irritating beyond belief.

nbt

I’m with TJ on this. This particular cover is not great, and he’s done some crap, but equally he’s not a bad singer ( I wish I was as “bad” as him – there’s a reason I play drums) and he’s done some good stuff – Let Me Entertain You is a pretty good pop rock song

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I just had to Google it, that’s beyond awful

bikebouy
    Free Member

Agree.

Yay! At last

We agree on a lot of things my friend 😳😜

DezB
    Free Member

Nothing to do with “demographic” – he’s just a money making shit machine.

Drac

That is pretty terrible.

verses

The way that the words appear in the video makes it seem like he’s singing it karaoke, which is quite fitting really…

sirromj

Absolulely terrible. So bad I’m not even going to listen to it, or the original.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

oh I thought he was dead

chakaping
    Free Member

he’s just a money making shit machine.

I hear he has some very nice stuff to say about you as well.

It’s quite cute that you get so angry about mainstream pop stars at your age Dez.

FWIW he stole the show at Live 8 (only time I saw him), but it didn’t make me wanna join the fanclub or buy his swing albums.

TiRed

I agree with tj. Gasp. There I’ve said it. Won’t listen to the remake, but some of his songs will be around for. Long long time. He’s an entertainer. Who sings.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s quite cute that you get so angry about mainstream pop stars at your age Dez

Thanks. I’m interested in music and care about it. Has ****-all to do with age.

And anyway! I didn’t care enough to start a thread about it! Have a go at the person who did whydon’tcha!!

ransos
    Free Member

I thought I wouldn’t like the song, but Dezb’s disapproval has persuaded me to give it a try.

DezB
    Free Member

You’re just too cool ransos

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m interested in music and care about it. Has ****-all to do with age.

To be fair dez you are usually down with watching some one eyed pirate who’s got his dog on bass and his mother in law on lead which in itself is fine by me, I remember seeing slaves for the first time and thinking wtf, I’m sure you had mentioned them somewhere in the past and after several more times seeing them I “get them” so you were never going to be a fan of Mr williams.
    You quite often berate people for going to a gig of over 27 people also, I get a buzz from a big crowd and was there when Mr Williams played knebworth, he was to be fair in his prime back then and it must be 10 years since I’ve paid any interest in him.
    Calling him what you did seems a tad harsh.
    Wrightyson veteran of everything from Slayer to Michael flately live 😂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

He’s always said he’s not a great singer.

For someone who is ‘shit’ he’s been pretty successful

RustySpanner

I saw RW at the MEN Arena ages ago.

He was very entertaining.

Am happy to listen to the new one if it annoys Dez. 🙂

uselesshippy
    Free Member

To me, he’ll always be ” the fat backing dancer from take that”

chakaping
    Free Member

Hey, I used to be a music fascist myself.

Looking back I cringe a bit, but I still have a few red lines I must admit.

Cougar

I’m not a Robbie Williams hater or anything, but by the gods that’s poor. He’s got totally the wrong voice for that song, and the arrangement, well, for the first 10 seconds I thought it was some typical random YouTube video intro rather than the actual song.

senorj

It offends all my sensibilities but not as much as the cover of FrankieGTH’s “power Of love” I heard butchered before Christmas.

Bunnyhop

Robbie Williams ruined Freedom by George Michael, he’s now ruined EWTRTW by tears for fears.
    But I’m still a fan.

martinhutch

It offends all my sensibilities but not as much as the cover of FrankieGTH’s “power Of love” I heard butchered before Christmas.

Maybe this is Trevor Horn’s revenge for whoever did that? It’s hard to believe that the producer of Two Tribes and the Lexicon of Love can turn out dross like this.

geex
    Free Member

Only watched the first 20 seconds. Does the sperm make it to the egg in th end?

martinhutch

It does look like the intro to a 1990s ITV quiz show. And sounds like something Ronnie Hazlehurst would write to introduce Eurovision with the BBC Concert Orchestra.

chakaping
    Free Member

Always thought Tears for Fears were a bit dreary myself, used to fast forward them on Now That’s What I Call Music.

Maybe that’s why RW cover seems perfectly pleasant to me.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Go beyond (just) the singles ..and Tears For Fears are an amazing band ..the album ” Elemental ” high up in my favourite albums list ..
    Robbie Williams is a clown ..( end of )

Gunz
    Free Member

For a bit of balance, I have a good friend who has worked with him on tour and he says RW is one of the nicest, most genuine people in the business (although he accepts that his drug years weren’t his finest). Out of all the major stars my friend works with, RW is the only one who flies the whole crew Business Class and pays for the difference out his own pocket (I except this has no bearing on the quality of his music).

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Robbie Williams has always had a likeability factor but that’s wained recently along with his music .
    He made one vital cock up
    Early after leaving take that he was riding a crest of a wave
    Not been able to write or read music without Gary Barlow he was relying on those few people out there who write but don’t like to perform them or them all he hadd the mighty music genius guy chambers behind him ,like he has the talent to write angels lol .
    They worked together hit after hit until the big 92 million 5 album deal with Sony when upto that point had been a 50/50 split with Robbie and guy .
    Robbie wanted to pay guy 1million per album .

They haven’t worked together since and Robbie fobbed off Sony with a best of album a swing album and similar dross.

Guy since had several No1,hits with songs originally written for Robbie
    Crying for no reason for eg was given to katy b but was written for Robbie years earlier
    Sorry for any grammar hiccups written whilst crossing the Chanel

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Robbie Williams’ is closed to new replies.