• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • ripped waterproof
  • bsims
    Free Member

I ripped my fox attack jacket on a bramble. I fixed it with a Park tools tube patch which stayed stuck until I washed the jacket. Any suggestions for further repair?

duir
    Free Member

Iron on goretex patches seem to wear well.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks duir, I didn’t know they existed.

nealglover
    Free Member

Iron on goretex patches are great, they last years.

But if you want a fast and free repair, and your not massively fussed about looks…. a square of decent quality duct tape, and iron it in place (under a tea towel so it doesn’t melt)

I have a jacket that was repaired this way more than 20 years ago, and the patch is still there after dozens and dozens of washes 👍

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks neil, a role of tape is certainly cheaper and will repair a lot of rips. I think this jacket will get a lot of rips.

ratherbeintobago

Lancashire Sports Repair fixed my Gore Alp-X a couple of times.

bsims
    Free Member

That’s worth a look, thanks ratherbeintobago. I could send it off to them during the dry season.

mark90
    Free Member

I could send it off to them during the dry season.

I hope they have quick turn around 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve got a down jacket with a spinnaker tape patch on that has lasted ages

bsims
    Free Member

I could send it off to them during the dry season.

I hope they have quick turn around

I doubt it would have left the PO before the wet season returns!

I’ve got a down jacket with a spinnaker tape patch on that has lasted ages

It’s looking like tape is the thinking mans repair medium.

Pyro

McNett Tenacious Tape patches, get them on Amazon. Excellent stuff for repairing jackets, sleeping mats, etc etc. Better than duct tape, doesn’t disintegrate and leave a sticky mess.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks Pyro , i’ll check them out.

pothead
    Free Member

+1 for Tenacious Repair Tape for around £8 a roll, used it on a Montane softshell and must admit I didn’t expect it to work but does, just remember to cut the ends in a radius and not square as the corners will start to lift after a while. I also used gorilla tape on the inside as it’s a fleece lined jacket and while both will need replacing after a while it’s saved an expensive jacket from being a write off

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks all – I got some tenacious repair tape.

mccraque

Tenacious tape was pretty rubbish on my ski pants. But was transparent hence why I went for it.

best I have found is mcnetts goretex repair. Works on anything similar really. Extended my mt500 waterproof shorts by two winters after I holed the arse area.

sweepy
    Free Member

That tenacious tape looks pretty thick from what I remember,

Spinnaker tape cut in an oval honest, just look at what it’s made for!

Northwind

I used the McNett goretex patches on a waterproof, worked a charm.

Northwind

Also, why not just buy a crateful of those £80 ones that STW says are so cheap you can just throw them away when you tear them?

bsims
    Free Member

It was £80, I waited for the sales and I still thought it was £40 too expensive. I was suckered in to the thinking I needed a proper cycling jacket otherwise I would get wet wrists or something! My last Jacket was a £25 regatta hydrotex jacket, it lasted nearly 3 years. However it has no rips – the water proofing doesn’t work on the shoulders anymore so needed replacement.

bsims
    Free Member

I have used the tenacious tape and so far (6 weeks has stuck fast, letting no water in). You can see the patch where it lifts the fabric up from the inside, but that is better than a leaking jacket or having to replace it. So far, I would recommend.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ripped waterproof’ is closed to new replies.