Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Results day …
  • matt_outandabout

…results day here in Scotland today, rest of UK shortly.

How has it gone for everyone?

I have a wait on – youngest_oab has opted for the posted results…

sillyoldman

Daughter opted for postal results too….

theotherjonv

(england) A-levels next Thursday with a definite mark needed (ABB) to get to first choice Uni, which after messing up the entrance procedure is now a highly desired outcome – she realised as a result how badly she wants to go to Warwick. So a bit nervous on those and the marking returning to pre-pandemic levels / Unis being strict on requirements because they have been overfull as a result of reduced gradings in the last couple.

And then my son’s GCSE’s next Thursday 25th. He’s had a really hard pandemic / year after of catching up, so just to have this chapter finished will be good. Hopefully results will be OK, definitely need the Maths and English to meet that 5 threshold as so important later on; and also the ones relevant to his future BTec choices, but the rest will be what they will be.

maccruiskeen

Like flying ant day or cicada season, ‘results day’ is an amazing natural phenomena where guided by the moon and the movement of the stars teenage girls all over the country instinctively gather in groups of four and simultaneously do a little jump in front of a local president photographer.

matt_outandabout

^ so true…..
    …and the following day the press go mad over 0.00000236% fall in results and deem the Educationm Minister incompetent, all while getting vox-pops off the aforementioned 4 girls and a couple of random parents who feel the education system failed to get Humphrey into Oxbridge…

SSS
    Free Member

I think the results drop is going to be more than 0.00000236% …..

The teachers arent liberally dishing out A* to everyone anymore are they?

matt_outandabout

Results are in here…
    3xA’s, a B and a D.
    😃

poly
    Free Member

…and the following day the press go mad over 0.00000236% fall in results and deem the Educationm Minister incompetent

or

…and the following day the press go mad over 0.00000236% rise in results and deem that standards are dropping and exams are getting easier!

Hopefully MOA_Jnr is pleased with that outcome and it gives him what he needs to do whatever is next.

oldtennisshoes

‘opted for postal results’

That’s what Junior 1 said 2 years ago when he’d forgot / couldn’t be arsed to sign up for the text service 🙂

esults are in here…
    3xA’s, a B and a D.
    😃

Well done mini OAB!

2 x sets of results in casa OTS today.

Junior 1 has what he needs in his Advanced Highers (2 A’s + a B in the Higher subject he took as well) to do what he wants at Glasgow.
    Junior 2 has beaten the house record for Nat 5 results (7 A’s)

euain

5As here at Higher. She’s very happy – and back to practising for her UCAT.

peajay

My youngest got straight A’s for her nat5s so happy days here.

fossy

Next week for daughter’s results, but she already know’s her Art result is Distinction (BTEC – 3 A level equiv)- just her Biology A level.

Uni place secure, but it all ‘pivots’ on the boyfriend whether he get’s in. Fortunately she’s picked a local Uni, and not one elsewhere in the UK (with boyfriend) as 1. His results aren’t predicted to be good enough and 2. He keeps changing his mind about which course). Our worry was he doesn’t get in, and she’s stuck at the other side of the country. At least if local, she’s not ‘stuck’ if he doesn’t get in.

Drives us potty as she followed him to 2 colleges too.

matt_outandabout

Nice one all.

@poly
    – a year working and travelling around Canada, Japan, Aus and NZ await mini_oab, so enough time to think about life and actually find what he is properly interested in.

He is already talking about dropping Music Advanced Higher to retake the D in Maths…but already has a Music Diploma so has no need to take the Advanced Higher. I think more frustrating he has to re-take…

He too is also facing the ‘go where you want to, not where your mate is going’ conundrum.

oldtennisshoes

He too is also facing the ‘go where you want to, not where your mate is going’ conundrum.

Junior 1’s mates all seem to be going to a Glasgow-based institution or Aberdeen. I pity those sharing the megabus between the two cities on Fridays and Sundays.

vintagewino
    Free Member

2x A* 1x A 2x B Highers here… very happy!

dantsw13
    Free Member

I hope everyone gets what they need 🤞🏻🤞🏻

My oldest is applying for unis this year and final year IB next.

sillyoldman

Same as Peajay here (- except that our youngest is also our oldest).

onehundredthidiot

The teachers arent liberally dishing out A* to everyone anymore are they?

Awfy broad brush that.

MoreCashThanDash

Having gone through the tension of the English A level results last year, good luck and congratulations to all those getting results in the couple of weeks.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well done/good luck to all stw forumite jnrs.

I’ll be in pieces in a decade when it’s my turn.

Northwind

Well done to all! Even if they didn’t get all they hoped for well done for what they did achieve. It’ll work out

fasgadh
    Free Member

Well done, I hope this is on target and all the best for next year and beyond. I remember the horror of the envelope opening

– (I suspect I may have taught mini MOaA at one time).

giant_scum
    Free Member

All highers for our youngest
    An A in PE.
    Bs in English, computing and biology
    Lastly a C in maths.

She might resit maths in 6th year.

But totally out of the blue she said that those results are good enough to do PE teaching!

matt_outandabout

😃

breninbeener
    Free Member

If anyone is off to Med School i have a lot of recent text books here in Chez Brenin.

I also have some books about writing a personal statement and passing CAT test.

onehundredthidiot

@breninbeener I have a pupil going into S6 hoping to do med but from a household that will struggle with textbook purchases. I’m sure she’d be grateful for any way to reduce costs.

DrP

I’ve got an eye test soon..
    Better get revising…

DrP

2tyred

Tyred Jr was too disorganised to sign up for the text alert, and left for his bike shop summer job about 10 minutes before the postman arrived yesterday with his Higher results so Mrs Tyred spent much of the day trying to stop herself steaming the envelope open.

6 As – now comes the difficult bit as he’s not got much of an idea what he might do with them, but for now he’s pretty happy. Maybe more relieved than anything!

matt_outandabout

Ace news 2tyred…

duckman

Nice dilemma to have 2tyred! My one has the results needed to take up an offered apprenticeship with a huge engineering company up here, but is now talking S6. I am biting my tongue as it isn’t my life! Results in my subjects are down a fair bit this year, the N5 exam was pretty brutal.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve got an eye test soon..
    Better get revising…

It’s OK, they show you the answers anyway

poah
    Free Member

A for higher Psychology and a C for Adv Higher physics. Also got a job in morrisons so boy is happy. He couldn’t care less about his results. School has put him off learning

theotherjonv

….. and the day arrives (well, the first of two, or second of three depending on your perspective)

results available at 8am online on her school account, and then UCAS live at 0815 confirming or denying places, insurance offers, and the great clearing rush.

The papers have been in the main rotten this year, I know it’s all selling stories and clicks but doom mongering headlines of tens of thousands not getting their places at Uni and sharp drops in pass rates has not made it an easy week for a cohort that’s already dealt with so much. We have had tears and sleepless nights and as scientist Dad i don’t do the ‘there there’ very well, all I can do is point out that even if there is a ‘sharp drop’ then still 30-odd % of students WILL get A*/A grades, and hundreds of thousands of students WILL get their first choice. I just hope we’re one of them.

Hopefully to lighten it a bit. I was the first of my extended family to go to University and we had not a clue about results day or clearing, we were so blase. And we were on a family holiday in Portugal in August 1987 when results came out. We latterly realised this may be an issue if I hadn’t got my grades so we tried to make arrangements and a family friend had collected my results from school (it was definitely a slip of paper in an envelope then). We then arranged to phone her up and get the results, and had given her a priority list of other Unis to try if it went shit shaped. God knows what they’d have made of the ‘can we speak to him – no – are you his Mum? – no – well wtf are you then?’ conversations.

And of course it was well before mobile phones, the villa we were staying in didn’t have a phone, so we had to traipse down to the 5* Penina hotel to use their public phone. Which was still the process of give the number to call to the receptionist who made the call and then directed you to a booth where she transferred it. Because it was a 5* hotel my mum insisted we dressed appropriately, even for 9 in the morning or so, and passing guests must have wondered what 4 overdressed oiks were trying to all get in one phone booth. Connection was made but we could hardly hear the line was so bad and all clustered around one receiver, so in the end the receptionist collated the info and I got my results handed to me, as the third person to find out!

I got the grades and the rest is history,

oldtennisshoes

@theotherjonv Excellent!

matt_outandabout

Nice one Poah. 👍

theotherjonv

A* media, A* eng lit, Distinction+ for BTec Performing Arts – so 3x A* equivs

Warwick confirmed. Very happy/relieved.

Thanks again to all who advised over the application debacle too!

binners

Nice one fella! Great results!

Binnerette number one has a B for for English, B for Politics and a C for Psychology and she’s happy enough with those, though she thought she might have pushed for an A for her English

She has zero interest in going to Uni, and I don’t blame her, so its taking the rest of the summer off having a think about what she does, then job-hunting

binners

The system now is now insane and the pressure placed on 18 year olds is absurd. I feel sorry for them

My mates daughter has just got A*, A & B, and the B means that she now won’t be accepted at any of her first choice Uni’s so is into clearing. It sounds like everyone is asking for 3 A’s

theotherjonv

excellent, well done Binnerette. To be able to look in the mirror and be happy with what you did and got is worth more than any grades themselves.

I agree on the other point. Have been following thestudentroom results thread, mainly for advice and protocols if we hadn’t got the grades and the offers being made nowadays are mad.

Sandwich

My mates daughter has just got A*, A & B, and the B means that she now won’t be accepted at any of her first choice Uni’s so is into clearing

It can be worrying but also the making of the young person as they have to be self-reliant and they make new friends. Sandwich Jr ended up in Bristol after clearing and never looked back, he’s currently doing a Speech and Language Masters at Birmingham. It was his first choice after A Levels but had to go via Learning Disability Nursing to get there 10 years later. He’s Bank Nursing to cover living expenses and keep the borrowing down.

A*, A & B isn’t shonky though, well done her.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.