Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Relentless 24
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Anyone going? I was a quads reserve but i may not be needed so just going along to watch/maybe marshal.not been before so should be fun

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Yup, 1st time doing a 24 and first time doing it solo. At least the weather looks like it’ll be decent.

terrahawk
    Free Member

yep – me and Twinklydave both soloing plus a couple of Team JMC lads in the pairs.

one of the best 24 hour courses in the country, this one. even if it rains.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep – ill be there. Signed up for this when I was living in South Wales, then decided that we’d move to Perthshire – so it’s only a couple of hours drive, instead of 10 🙂

It’s cold and bright here at the moment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

give me the puffer anyday jase.

oldmanbreezer
    Free Member

Yes, i’ll be riding.

Weather looks great but why so few entries? as Terrahawk says……. one of the best 24hour courses so why only 114 riders??

Hope this number rises before Saturday for Frazer and his team.

rickon
    Free Member

Entries for races have been falling in recent years – money being the main issue I believe we discovered, and lack of interest in riding the same courses….

Plus for Relentless24 it’s a double whammy, as it’s miles from the majority of population – and even more so, it’s not in the South West / Wales area – which has most of the endurance races.

terrahawk
    Free Member

give me the puffer anyday jase.

later, darling ;0)

LoCo
    Free Member

Mark and Gareth from Loco Racing will be there with Rickon and Mrs R too and the dogs 😀

That battery turned up yet Ricks?

huw
    Free Member

Entries for races have been falling in recent years – money being the main issue I believe we discovered, and lack of interest in riding the same courses….

I wouldn’t say they’re falling, or lack of interest just that there are more events to choose from and increasingly more clashes with dates.

Both the Dyfi and Coed y Brenin marathons sold out this year with over 600 entries per event I believe. The Dyfi sells out in minutes. All the CRC Marathons are well attended, Mayhem mostly full despite the appalling conditions, as was 24/12. Then you’ve got the events in the East and South East (Brighton Big Dog, Torq12, Dusk til Dawn etc), all seem popular?

As for Relentless it’s a great course, one of the best 24 hour courses out there and Frazer and his team put on a great event. Unfortunately can’t make it this year, so good luck to everyone who’s up there

JAG

Location!

I live in the Midlands and it’s 418 miles!!

Just a thought 😀

huw
    Free Member

Location!

I live in the Midlands and it’s 418 miles!!

But people living in Scotland can say the exact same thing for Twentyfour12 for example. So location has nothing to do with it really, it’s just that some events are going to be further to travel than others for everybody.

rickon
    Free Member

location has nothing to do with it really

It shouldn’t do really, but the main populous are not that close to Fort William as other races, unfortunately. Looks like it’s gonna be a pretty quiet weekend, unless other people fancy coming to sunny Scotland for some riding on what, at least two other people have already said is the best 24 hour course around 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

it’s also looking like the weather’s going to be good and the Highlands are simply stunning, even if you have to drive a long way to get there.

rickon
    Free Member

^^ 🙂

Yep – long weekend up in the highlands, do a race that’s based around having a laugh, on a lovely course. Then either do some sightseeing at some castles, or go out for one of the amazing rides locally you can do.

In fact, that’s what I’m doing for the next week or so 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

*sadface* Pulled the plug as I’ve run out of PhD funding and cant afford the petrol and my insurance is up. Injury that was my excuse has healed up so facing the reality that its simply monetary.

But, I will spend the weekend on a bike in solidarity 🙂 Then sponge food off my girlfriend.

terrahawk
    Free Member

my ride’s dedicated to you, Greg.
    🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

Yup, I’ll be there.

I initially didn’t want to do it at all.
    I then got persuaded into doing it as a pair, grudgingly.

Now I’ve just signed up to do it solo, as my team mate bust his ankle the other night…

I’ve not trained at all, never raced before, and don’t really do that much XC anyway. Should be fun…

Look out for the guy with the HeliTape banner by the tent, and riding around on a borrowed RockHopper with flat shoes and knackered on lap 1…

GregMay
    Free Member

my ride’s dedicated to you, Greg.

That means you’ll have to adopt my chirpy attitude all the way round 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

How did everyone find it then? Great weather and I really enjoyed the course. Well, really enjoyed it until every single bump and rock made every single joint in my body hurt. Never thought I’d look forward to fire road sections so much. I bailed after 12 laps at about 3am ish, unable to put the bike where I wanted it and my knees and wrists screaming. Credit to everyone who kept going through the night.

Brilliant event though, even if there numbers were down a lot on past years, I had a chat with most riders who went past me/I went past and the marshals were all super friendly and offering encouragement too. Great stuff. Might even do it again next year. Hopefully on a lighter/comfier bike!

oldmanbreezer
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the course and what a setting when you stop and take it all in. Good weather. Marshals doing a great job with plenty of encouragement and banter ( although the race itself seemed to be lacking it’s usual atmosphere – probably due to the low turnout?).

Felt sorry for the timing team having to make sure riders were all counted in (must of been hell in the dark with all those bright lights shining into their faces). JMC boys on another level and dominating the solo race. Finding out one of my club members was riding with a Guy Martin and then finding out it was “thee” Guy Martin!

What else……….

Falling off three times. Having to use a stone to straighten my front mech. Loosing my spare front light and then finding it again on the next lap (big smile time). Cycling through the night with the moon illuminating the trail. At times feeling I had the whole of the course to myself.

Suffering today with pins and needles. Sore throat. Chapped lips. having to strip the bike and rebuild it……….. i could go on, but deep down I always enjoy the No Fuss events.

Looking forward to “10 Under The Ben” 2013.

kcal

you can’t keep away from these events, Phil 🙂

did you do it solo??

– Callum

oldmanbreezer
    Free Member

Hi Callum, yes.

Been off the mtb for a while but was good to get back on it. Plan on doing more next year off road and less on the road.

Hope life is treating you well.

terrahawk
    Free Member

it’s my favourite 24 hour course of all of them in the UK. Others should emulate what the No Fuss guys are doing rather than persisting with the regular courses that fall to bits at the first sign of rain.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

A great event…and an awesome course. I rode solo till around 7 in the morning, then pulled the plug at 16 laps, with the likes of terrahawk and twinklydave firing past me like they’d just got on their bikes. Really had to rein myself in on the fast ST after the teenagers encampment, bet there were a few nighttime spills on that bit! The only section I hated was the bit by the car park, probably because I minced along with everyone watching 😀
    Great banter along the way, particularly from the other solo guys in the early hours of the morning, cheers!

rickon
    Free Member

Great event, credit to Fraser, he’s such a lovely chap. We watched him take down the shelter at the end of the day and he still had a smile on his face.

We managed to win our category and bring home some hats 🙂 tough tough course indeed, we did 26 laps between myself, my missus, and our mate on a singlespeed, who sang aloud on every lap – even gaining a standing ovation from the marshalls.

I have to say though pinch flatting a tubeless tyre, and then flatting the spare tube in one lap sucks balls. I had to cyclocross run my bike down the cobbled descents.

Thats my last endurance race for the foreseeable future, but will be popping along to the No Fuss enduro in November, which should be real good fun, and well worth having a look at

devs
    Free Member

My only race this year was TdBN because of a hectic work and social schedule. Our club ordinarily attends all the No Fuss events but Relentless is just too close to TdBN. The legs, the wallet and the “timeawayridingbikesmeter” have not had sufficient recovery time. Puffer next then.

rickon
    Free Member

Devs, have a look at the Kinlochleven enduro from No fuss, its a newone this year and may fill that gap.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Relentless 24’ is closed to new replies.