• This topic has 78 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by tomd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Reducing pre and post-ride faff
  • bikesandboots

Apart from commuting and rides purely for fitness, I always drive to ride. This adds quite a bit of faff, in stark contrast when I go and stay with friends where we can go for an MTB ride from the door. I timed myself once from finishing a muddy ride at the car, to being ready to drive off – it was 45 minutes!

I’ve done some things to reduce faff – but what faff-reducing tips does the STW collective have?

Few of mine below. Interested regardless of whether it applies to riding from the door.

1. Car bike transport that doesn’t require any wheels (or at least not the rear) to be removed from the bike.
    2. Car bike transport that isn’t on the roof, so you don’t need to get the bike very clean.
    3. Largest possible front and rear mudguards.
    4. Trousers.
    5. Trousers and jacket made of waterproof or other rinsable material that doesn’t absorb mud.
    6. Put the rain cover on your rucksack even when it’s not raining, so it can be rinsed off easily.
    7. Battery powered pressure washer and water container, for your bike and yourself.
    8. Zip-off knee pads.
    9. Over-pump tubeless tyres the night before, let them down to pressure pre-ride.

el_boufador

For driving, being a bit time crunched I usually want to minimise the amount of time I am driving / faffing, to maximise riding time.
    So I tend to be well prepped in advance. Also when coming back home I’ll aim to make a minimal mess, but usually I drop the proper cleaning and catch up it at a convenient time rather than trying to sort it all out straight away.

So

Gear and bike all set up the night before, bagged up ready to put in the car
    Put clean riding gear on before driving
    Change of clothes packed for the way home

After riding, builders tub to just dump muddy gear into.
    Sod cleaning the bike before coming back. Way easier to sort it with proper cleaning stuff when back Bike outside car helps for this / not creating a massive mess in the car.

reeksy

Different conditions here – the mud doesn’t stick too much, and even in the depths of winter I’d never wear trousers or waterproof, but…

I have a car seat cover that slips over the headrest. It’s made from toweling with a waterproof backing. When I finish a ride I can sit on that in my wet and muddy gear and drive to work/home and not have to deal with it. After work the cover comes off so i can drive home and wash the cover (at some point)

Car has a vertical rear rack. It takes 30 seconds to put the bike on.

Hip pack lives outside so i let it dry and mud dusts off.

Swapped the carpet mats for rubber mats in the car.

Finish ride. 5 minutes later i’m out of the car park.

jamesoz

If driving.
    1. Get bike in/on car, whilst still wearing gloves/muddy clothes.

2. Car mat or rubble sack next to passenger side door.

3. If deserted place chenge on mat /rubble sack.

4. If busy place, change to a point it’s not indecent exposure, put towell on passenger seat and change the rest in the car into a drybag.

5. Drive off. Should be no more than ten mins.

6. Get home, deal with bike and dirty kit

StuE
    Free Member

I’ve pretty much stopped cleaning the bike (apart from the drive train) I let it dry and brush the worst of the crap off

5lab

Old dressing gown over messy clothes then throw it all in the wash when you get home.

Thule Xpress rack, can get a bike on that and strapped down in about 20 seconds

Total time from finish to driving 1 min? 2 if you need to change shoes

jamesoz

Old dressing gown over messy clothes

That’s genius!

continuity
    Free Member

I’d appreciate ideas on doing this in a rented flat. We have cream carpets throughout, so the second bedroom / home office is partially covered in plastic tarp and has all the bikes on.

If in the lakes there’s an awesome £1 jetwash in Keswick to get bikes gleaming, but otherwise I either leave bike in car to dry and then brush down later (but this still deposits lots of mud which gets dragged around) or I have to put the bike in the shower and clean it there (then clean the shower).

Means I generally go for a lot more road riding in winter!

mashr

it was 45 minutes!

What are you actually doing in that 45 mins?

After a ride (lets assume full mud and soaked) for me its just;
    – Back to car, load bike straight onto rack (about 1 min)
    – Changing robe on so no indecent exposure anywhere.
    – Peel off muddy kit and add dry kit.
    – Pile stuff in muddy kit bag
    – Everything in car and drive off

If I’m needing to get going it’s around 5 mins. Ideally I’d wash the bike, but not really much point in doing that then driving home via manky roads.

ahsat

When living in a rented flat we put the bikes in these before carrying them upstairs so all the mud is self contained: http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/johnnys/bike-johnny

Re washing – bucket and brush outside.

lardman
    Free Member

Firstly, get the bike up onto roof rack, while still wet/muddy (don’t know when people are so precious about muddy bikes on roof??? )

Then, stand in one of those big plastic laundry buckets to strip outer layers of muddy gear into. Get into fresh clean shoes/sliders, put spare hoody/sweatshirt on to stay warm.

Drive home and deal with bucket/bike when convienient.

Having said this, 90% of muddy rides are from the house. Still use the stand-in-bucket technique though.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

I bought some waterproof car seat covers from Aldi to cut down on time.
    Usually I get changed after a ride but if the weather is wet or too cold I’ll just put the bike on the rack and get in the car and drive home.

cp

45 minutes??!!

Back to car, bike straight back on roof.
    Take filthy clothes off, clean clothes on.
    Drive home.

It’s 10 minutes tops.

stand in one of those big plastic laundry buckets to strip outer layers of muddy gear into

This is excellent, thanks!

a11y

You obviously need the attraction of a cosy post-ride pub to speed up your post-ride faff routine!

I drive to almost all MTB rides – post-ride for me, 5mins absolute max:

– squirt of FS365 on drivetrain to prevent corrosion

– front wheel off, bike into van (still wearing muddy clothes/gloves while handling muddy bike)

– shoes off, into back of van

– change clothes (muddiness dictates how much gets changed but always my top half as I’m a sweaty git)

– into van, heated seat and heated ramped to max, drive

Bike and kit cleaning happens as required at home but even adding that to the immediate post-ride faff I’m still a long way off 45mins!

BigJohn

I’m sorry to break it to the OP, or I may just be confirming a suspicion, but based on personal experience (ask anybody I know) once a faffer, always a faffer.

matt_outandabout

I timed myself once from finishing a muddy ride at the car, to being ready to drive off – it was 45 minutes!

I don’t think a few changes to your kit or bags will solve all of this.

I am maybe 10 mins from end of ride to driving off, if I am not that muddy and use seat cover it can be under 5 mins.

nickc

In my experience it’s not the tasks that take the time. It’s the person doing them. My back to car routine (like others) is about ten minutes to stow bike on the roof and get changed. I could, no doubt, make that longer if i was inclined

hooli

I’m another that doesn’t see the issue. Bike on roof with gloves still on. Take off gloves, shoes, trousers and jacket and put in waterproof bag. Pop a hoody, joggers and crocs on and be on your way before getting cold.

When home, empty car, stick bike in shed (possibly gets some GT85 on chain if its been really wet) and jump in the shower. Clothes get washed at some point and bike gets the moving bits checked before the next ride. It only gets washed when its had a good few rides and is absolutely caked.

didnthurt

My method does mean that your car can (according to my pal) smell of arse but it is the least faff IMO.

Pre pack everything the night before so you are as ready as possible in the morning, even laying out your clothes and prepacking your backpack/hip bag.

Wear your bike clothes whilst driving to the trails.

Bike goes on the roof rack.

After the ride, I don’t bother cleaning the bike unless there is a handy washer or hose free. Just put it back on the roof.

I then put my waterproof jacket (even if it’s filthy) inside out on my car seat and sit in it. I drive home in my dirty kit and shoes with the heaters on full. When you get home, the dirt will mostly just brush off you.

Quickly wash the bike if it needs it before putting it away.

All my clothes then go into the washing machine on a rinse before washing, I then head to the shower.

I actually think that road cycling in wet weather is more filthy than mountain biking. The dirt is finer and manages to penetrate your clothes. But in general cycling in the UK means you will be wearing your most expensive clothing whilst it’s been slowly destroyed by wet and filth. Wouldn’t have it any other way. 🤙

VanHalen

builders bucket is great for wet kit. y

i rarely wash the bike – just scrape teh worst off. if you need to wash it to bring it inside then that definately adds significant faff time – whether its post ride faff at the car park or post ride faff at home.

didnthurt

Check out a Rob Warner video to see some proper faffing, he’d drive me mad if I was riding with him.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

45 mins ?!?!

I have my bike either in the boot or on the roof. Maybe a quick brush off with a stiff brush where it clamps on the frame and thats it. Just lift up with all your muddy kit still on.

Ikea blue bag thing for dirty kit.

Someone on another thread linked to these bags that look brilliant for £14 for taking a bike in the house..

Hippo Bag – Mega | Wickes.co.uk

IMO better than a bike specific one which I can only imagine get mud everywhere when putting the bike in.

Oh take up running, much less faff involved, but then if you are a faffer you will still faff 😉

bikesandboots

What are you actually doing in that 45 mins?

It’ll have been something like the below. I’ll have forgotten something but you get the idea.

This is about the worst it ever was. I progressed to a roof rack which was better (less wheels faff but mud on roof unless washed well), and then a bigger car. Actually until one point before I got the Hydroshot it was even worse as I was using a garden sprayer and brush. For context, I live in a small flat and had a near 2 hour drive home after this ride.

Stop Garmin and turn it off, put it in my bag.
    Get car key and phone out of my riding bag and put in car.
    Take off helmet and glasses, put them in gear bag, the glasses in their hard case.
    Stand the bike up in small stand.
    Get out the Hydroshot and water container, put the hose and lance together.
    Wash down the biggest mud quickly.
    Take bottle out of cage and rinse it off.
    Spray muc-off around.
    Rinse it all down.
    Bounce the bike to get remaining water off.
    Lube and wipe the chain.
    Take front wheel off, put pad spacer in brake caliper.
    Put front wheel and axle in wheel bag.
    Shift into top gear to make removing rear wheel easier.
    Remove rear wheel, with hex key due to stealth axle, put pad spacer in brake caliper.
    Put rear wheel and axle in other wheel bag.

Take gear bag, clothes, jacket etc. out of rear of car.
    Lower dropper post.
    Take parcel shelf out of the car.
    Put the bike in.
    Return and refit the parcel shelf.
    Return the gear into rear of car around the bike.
    Put the wheel bags in.
    Put away the stand.

Rinse myself down with Hydroshot.
    Rinse my backpack down with Hydroshot.
    Wash down waterproof shoes with Hydroshot, including tread.
    Shoes off into Ikea bag that I’m standing in.
    Strip off jacket, trousers, and socks, into the Ikea bag.
    Knee pads off into gear bag.
    Clean trousers on.
    Clean socks and shoes on.
    Jersey off, elbow pads off.
    Clean t-shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket on.
    Put the Hydroshot away.
    Put gear bags away.

Wet wipe my face and hands.

jimmy748

Get to car, take front wheel out put bike and front wheel in car, take off riding top, put on hoody, open front and rear door and stand between take off riding trousers, put on jeans or joggers (don’t care if anyone sees my bare arse) get in car drive home. 2-10 minutes maximum.

Saccades
    Free Member

Guess in my case it depends how much you like your car.

It’s an estate with leather seats that’s only used by me (pretty much).

Back seats down and titan cover in boot.

Finish spin, bolt thru front wheel off, bike in car. 2 mins on a bad day.

Strip down to Bib shorts, use top (under thermal in winter) to remove mud. 2 mins on a bad day.

Put boiler suit on, about 60 seconds.

Pick tunes (Nathan Kelsey, circle on SoundCloud), drive off.

That’s it.

supernova

I feel like a filthy peasant now – I just put the bike on the roof, get in the car and drive away.

Alex

I have a two box system.

Box 1: towel, old Fox trousers, Hoodie, old 5-10s, wet wipes, seat cover

Box 2: empty

Bike on trailer using helmet light, strip kit off until I can find a clean bit or I’m down to lycra shorts. Dirty kit in Box 2. Helmet, lights, etc in Box 2.  Dress from Box 1. Drive home.

Bike goes into heated shed, might get a wipe down but probably not. Remove lights from Box 2 and stick on charge so I know they’re done.  Box 2 then comes inside ready for washing machine or pre-rinse. Never bother removing trailer unless I’n driving in the morning, sort bike out when it’s light and not dark/cold/wet.

I reckon 3-5 mins either end. I do get all my stuff ready tho before the ride.

Come spring/summer – leave MTB at mates, ebike in on my Vibe, ride, go to pub, drop bike back at mates, ebike 10 km home up the big hill. Very much looking forward to that!

nickfrog
    Free Member

I massively sympathise with you OP. After 25 years of MTB I had enough of the faff a couple of years ago. Not worth it anymore. So my solution was to become a fair weather rider. At the same time I moved to the South Downs so I rarely take the car to ride. A bit drastic but I enjoy cycling much more now by cutting all the crap. And I filled the vacuum with tennis which is far simpler in terms of faff…

5lab

If you do want to get changed by your car, the most comfortable option is https://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/northcore-grass-change-mat-wetsuit-bag.html

tall_martin

A mate left me a large duffle bag when he emigrated.

Loads of faffy bits live in it along with a towel. There is a pocket for manky shoes and a large waterproof pocket for manky clothes.

Pre ride.
    all kit in bag including clean kit for the drive home. Bike kit on, bike on roof.

Post ride.
    Manky bike on roof rack.
    Old car mat on ground.
    Change using towel
    Drive home.
    Perhaps wash bike at home.

I used to wash my mountain bike every ride without fail. Since my son has been born it becomes if it needs it/ if I have time.

Nothing has worn out any faster.

DickBarton

Get a tarp that covers the rear of the car (if bike goes inside) and make sure it is large enough to cover sides as well.

After ride, knock whatever loose mud is possible off the bike and get it in the car – tarp catches all the dirt. If you want to be fancy, once of those plastic flexi bin things to drop your manky riding kit in – along with something to hold the clean clothes.

Get home, get kit out of car and clean bike and wash gear.

Pre ride – make sure your ride kit is gathered and ready to go (or even better, in car!), bike is inside car or close enough to mean getting it in the car very quick – so tarp ready and bike next to it. Make sure the dirty riding kit collector is also handy.

All of that stuff doesn’t remove the faff, but just makes it less faff.

joshvegas
    Free Member

All these people not washing their bike…

Please wash your bike if you go all over the place. What we don’t need is the spread of non native stuff and biological nasties.

halifaxpete

I love having a van for this reason, bike gets lobbed straight in the back and I’ve got heavy duty seat covers so dont care about getting in muddy (unless its quite a long drive then I’ll try myself clean up a little)

weeksy

I love having a van for this reason, bike gets lobbed straight in the back and I’ve got heavy duty seat covers so dont care about getting in muddy (unless its quite a long drive then I’ll try myself clean up a little)

I have the van, but it’s still mobi-washed after the ride and all muddy/anything kit removed and dry stuff put on. Even today, we’re riding 4 miles from home (in van as it’s 30 mins to ride over and will be dark by the time we get there) for only a 45 mins/60 mins ride.

andeh

Wheel bags and pad spacers?! Jesus. I don’t think I’ve ever used a pad spacer, and I currently have to wiggle the bike through the back of our stupid saloon.

Old duvet cover in the back of the car, chuck bike on it, get in and drive home…maybe get changed if caked in crap. If not too bad, sit on a bag for life. I do have a powershot thingy, but really for 95% of rides it’s easier to do it at home where the water can be warm.

I keep usual bike clobber permanently in a trug (bumbag, helmet, pads, gloves, some tools, etc), so can just sling that in with the bike, add water/consumables/clothes, good to go.

I think BigJohn has it:

…once a faffer, always a faffer.

dc1988

Surely it partly depends on the length of the ride and journey time home. If I’ve travelled 3 hours to BPW to ride the entire day then I don’t mind spending longer to get properly dry and clean. If I’m doing my local ride then being a bit soggy for a 40 minute drive is less of an issue.

mjsmke

Pretty much lost all motivation to go for a muddy ride at the moment. So just jump on the turbo instead. 2 Min prep.

a11y

Surely it partly depends on the length of the ride and journey time home.

It’s a bit of that for me. ‘Proper’ local MTB trails I ride with mates are a 25-min drive away. Night rides are typically ~2hrs duration which is great, but in minging weather the route is often STP (straight to pub). Brilliant if you stay local and enjoy a drink, not great when you’re spending 50mins driving plus the faffing either end. Yep, its my own fault for not moving more local to the trails…

I’ve got tame stuff from my front door which serves a purpose in manky conditions. It’s not the same but its still 100x more fun than a turbo. Pre/post-ride faff minimised – and excitement maximised – by using a rigid flat-barred gravel bike with full length guards.

fooman

Pretty much as above, mucky bikes on roof clothes in bag and off. Cleanup at home, hose and oil ready to ride next time so no pre ride faff.

Often four of us will return to our car while some is in the car park dismantling their bike. Usually we’ve got our bikes on the roof and gone before they’ve got their frame in their car.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Bike on roof
    Plastic bag on seat
    Drive off

Honestly, takes me seconds.

At home bike goes in garage, me in shower

I don’t clean the bike. Just dose the chain in line if it seizes up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.