Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Recommend me some pedals. (Yes, you guessed it, Eggbeater content again)
  • jimification
    Free Member

I think you’re pretty unlucky there, MTG….I have two pairs of those (I think…Time ATAC XS carbon?) and they’ve been awesome. On muddy winter rides I hear friends with Shimano’s complaining when the Time’s just work with no fuss.

The time ATAC XS carbons are about 320g and £100ish – quite a bit heavier than the eggbeater ti and the like, I guess. The extra weight is well worth it to me for the functionality / reliability, though.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I got fed up of eggies self destructing in the middle of nowhere. Switched to Time and they’ve been faultless

I’m in a bit of a dilemma now about what to do next.
    I was going to buy a second pair of Times for the spare bike.
    Should I accept that the failure was a one off and in future they will last me for years, like they seem to do for everyone else.

Should I get Looks as all the bad reviews seem to be about the pre 2009 model.

Should I get the new Egg beaters with the 5 year warranty. I’d need some reassurance that the bearings and springs are covered as I can’t imagine them lasting me more than 6 months going by previous experience.

I can’t understand why the Time bearing failed. It looks about the same size as an Egg beater bearing and they last me a few months as long as I ignore 2pure’s advice about not removing the seals and regreasing them.

ontor
    Free Member

I bought some speedplay frogs off here & I’m in love.

nick3216
    Free Member

Just get Shimano. If you’re an equipment destroyer it really is your best bet. I’m impressed at that Time. I know singlespeeder gear mashers who used them for years with no problem. even they use Shimano now though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

shimano.

ononeorange

I’m with TJ on this – don’t particularly like Shimano stuff generally, but the pedals are superb – I bought second hand 520s from ebay for a few quid (they looked to have had a hard life) a few years back and have hammered them hard and just used and used them on my singlespeed. I’m not a light rider. Finally replaced them with some new XTs (extravagance for me) a couple of weeks ago as the slop in the driveside bearing was getting really bad. The new ones seem incredibly good, give me another 10 years and I’ll let you know if they last well too!

Are you not getting cleat-confusion with all this Eggbeater / Time swapping around that you’re doing?

z1ppy

WTF? You broke time pedals? New ones? 😯

Good god…

sambob
    Free Member

Just get Shimano and stop being so niche, they really do last for ever. I took the cages off my M424’s about a year ago, lasted until now in the Peak District and still perfect, even with a little gap for stuff to get in. M520 for cheapy cheapness, m540 are a bit more swanky, XTR have gold bits on them.

A quick bit of advice before I buy please.

There appears to be two types of Look pedal with different bars/springs.

I take it these are the pre 2009 model and these are the 2009 on model. Is that right ?

The strange thing is that CRC are showing the older type in grey, but when you click on the 360 view, it shows the newer type in red.

njee20
    Free Member

They changed pretty soon after their introduction. Hopefully it was for the better, as I had the original ones and they were totally shit. Really really shit. You had to spend ages shimming them to your shoes, and then if you used soft soled shoes (as most top end ones tend to be) you’d then have all sorts of fun with accidental releases after a few rides and you got a minute change in the tread depth! Not to mention if you got mud on the soles and you couldn’t then clip in.

About the only component that I would never ever use again, even if you paid me.

Shimano FTW.

michaelbowden

Graham

I’ll take the broken Time’s off you if your not going to continue with them

My email’s in my profile

Mike

jimification
    Free Member

For Sale: Pair Time pedals (1 broken) would suit cyclist with 1 leg (preferably the right one)

Mike, they’re only 3 days old. I’m sending them back for a warranty claim.

michaelbowden

Fair enough Graham ;o)

Aidan
    Free Member

Hate to say I told you so, but lots of people did tell you so.

I got my M520s with the refund Wiggle gave me on a £100 pair of Time pedals and pocketed the £80 difference.

Those M520s of mine have outlasted 2 frames, a Stans rim, a crankset, 6 tyres, 2 stem faceplates, 2 Ti frames, 2 sets of BB bearings, countless freehub springs and bearings. Believe me, they just last.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I buy a pair of 520s when I need a new pair of cleats 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I would buy Shimano than put some bleeding Look stickers on them. Everyone will still think you’re a dedicated niche-twit and they won’t break every 30 seconds. Sorted.

While waiting for the Time pedals to be returned, I bought some Look pedals.
    They lasted about three months.
    I put the replacement Time pedals back on and they seem to be doing OK this time.
    I still needed some pedals for my spare bike though, so I’ve just ordered some M520s for £19, which is not much more than a pair of Look, Time or Crank Brothers cleats and cheap enough to treat them as a disposable item once the bearing get rough or the cleats wear out.

njee20
    Free Member

If only someone had made that suggestion 🙄

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some pedals. (Yes, you guessed it, Eggbeater content again)’ is closed to new replies.