Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a messenger type bag…
  • flyingmonkeycorps

As it says really… I’m after a biggish messenger type bag, preferably with room for a (small) DSLR and possibly spare lens as well as lunch, couple of books, maybe a jumper… You get the idea. I’ve had a look at Crumpler, but their website is, in places, quite spectacularly unhelpful.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Visconti for leather

rOcKeTdOg

timbuk 2 bags are excellent, mine is 8 years old and still going strong, in use everyday

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mrs deadly just got a North Face (small one). I expected it to be overpriced but it actually seems to work very well. They do a larger size (maybe even two) for boys I think. She Ioves it anyway.

geoffj

Patagonia Halfmass ftw

flyingmonkeycorps

That Patagonia looks pretty decent… Anyone have any experience of Pakuma bags?

mieszko
    Free Member

Patagonia bags are pretty good, lots of useful pockets on mine. It was too big for me (Critical Mass) and as I had the older model the strap had a sewn in padding, shame it was so long that after adjusting the strap the bag was still hanging behind my ar5e when on the bike. North Face bags are good as well, had the small version and it’s too small, lots of storage and organizer pockets etc but not enough space, had a Large for couple of days and I have to say that medium would be probably perfect. I now have an Osprey Elroy bag and although it’s not a “proper” messenger bag it has all the pockets I need, stabilizer strap, adjustable strap that is wide and a padding pad there as well. What I like as well is the back of the bag is slightly padded and stiffened so the u-lock doesn’t hit my back and if I put some folders inside they won’t be folded and still be nice and straight.

[edit] check Knog bags as well, looked pretty good when I was after one, Wiggle sold out the good looking ones but they are still available in other shops. I remember that Dakine was doing a nice messenger type bag, similar to TNF Base Camp model. TNF has other bags available if You don’t like the shininess of the Base Camp. [edit]

geoffj

I had the pakuma messenger bag. It was OK, but not in the same league as the Patagonia one, which I got to replace it.

The critical mass is humungous, the half mass is a decent size. There’s also a minimass, which looks good for a netbook etc.

PS I don’t work for patagonia 😆

flyingmonkeycorps

Brilliant, lots to check out there! I should probably add I’m a dirty Mac user, so whilst I forgot to mention laptop space it would be handy, but only needed for a 13″ Macbook 🙂

one_bad_mofo

Just do the sensible thing and get a Bagaboo – http://bagaboo.hu/

binners

This is all you need:

http://www.howies.co.uk/product.php/1798/92

Had mine for years, use it daily to transport a macbook and a load of gear. It stubbornly refuses to show any signs of falling apart. Absolutely outstanding value for money

ourmaninthenorth

+1 for the Howise bag. Got mine in one of their sales back in the summer. Excellent.

Several years ago, I went through the process of trying to design one for Bagaboo to make and then, when I went back to Tamas, the prices had doubled, so I didn’t bother.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’ve currently got the Twin Six edition of the Crumpler in, very good bag. Still looks brand new after 6 months of daily use and I’ve even done the odd cheeky offroad commute home in it with tree/bramble scrapes and all.

flyingmonkeycorps

I think my favourite so far is the Osprey Elroy, closely followed by the Patagonia Halfmass and TNF Messenger. I kinda like the Howies one, but boy is it fugly 😉

simon_g

Another one for the Howies bag. I’ve got the older design, must be 5+ years old and still in great shape.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Is that howies one waterproof?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned Crumpler my Wonder Weenie is 11 years old now and still looks brand new. When I mean brand new the only difference is that it has an odd smell inside now from all the stuff I have spilt in it.

I use it every weekday and it has survived crashes better than I have 🙂

Clong
    Free Member

Bagaboo, if you want a bit of art work done. I have the large workhorse messenger, used daly for the last 2-3 years carrying probably too much weight with no worries.

I think the howies one are made by Timbuk2

IA

Chrome are ace:
    http://www.chromebagsstore.com/

I have a timbuk2, it’s ace, got my GF a chrome, and it’s better. Not cheap, but ace.

I got mine from Charlie:
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/userimages/procart32.htm

sharki
    Free Member

I got one of theseand for the monies aint bad, very waterproof, durable.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 for Timbuk2

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Timbuk2 here too, bought mine from the state, bulletproof, been inservice two years and carried all sorts of nonsense

sas
    Free Member

Howies once sold some custom designed Timbuk2 bags, but I think the current one is made by someone else. The only label on mine just says “Black Chevron Bag, NYLON, MADE IN CHINA”.

flyingmonkeycorps

Dammit… Was sold on the Osprey, but I can’t find anywhere in the UK that sells them!

mieszko
    Free Member

I bought mine on eBay but maybe try emailing Osprey UK and see what they can do. Very good customer service when I was sorting out some spares for my Kestrel rucksack.

[edit] Here’s one: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=292144 [edit]

tragically1969
    Free Member

Another +1 for Howies, had mine for years, bomproof bit of kit.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a messenger type bag…’ is closed to new replies.