Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a CX Commuter
  • bluedynamo
    Free Member

Looking to get a CX bike (preferably race geometry) that I can commute on. Any recommendations?

Looking for proper mudguard eyelets on the frame and fork, flat mount hydro discs, thru axles and internal routing – 1x would be a bonus.

Only thing I’ve found that comes anywhere close are the cheaper Vitus aluminium models but these don’t look like CX race geometry.

Have I missed something obvious?

jeffl

Silly question why do you want a CX bike for commuting, surely just get a commuter. I guess the anwer is you want to use it for both. You may struggle to find a CX bike that also has mudguard mounts, hopefully the SW collective will prove me wrong.

fasthaggis

GT Grade Carbon (2017 Tiagra) ,search around.

Work colleague brought his in yesterday (Rutland cycles) ,very sorted out bike .

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry too much about CX “race geo” as once you’re ion that muddy rut its the will to live that matters most.

You’re going to be pushing it to find flat mount hyrdos, guard eylets, race geo and internal routing as they don’t exactly go together.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not race geometry, same as Attains, but the new Cube Nuroad range might work..

sandwicheater

@ fasthaggis, don’t think the carbon has mount for rack/guards.

dafoxster
    Free Member

I have a Whyte Glencoe. But I believe the Whyte Friston or Gisburn might be nearer to what you want.

fasthaggis

Sandwichmuncher..aye it does.

GT mounts

TiRed

Boardman CX Team has decent road bike geometry (73 degree parallel), think it has mudguard eyelets, comes with 1×11. Can’t speak for the brake or axle options.

My older one is a joy to ride on the road and I have even raced it in an E123 circuit race.

fasthaggis

Oh,and the Grade I saw had cable hy-rd fitted,so lever/bars swap would be a quick change.

sandwicheater

@Fasthaggis, cheers for that, had discounted this but now back in the running and near Rutland this weekend.

Hope that 58cm fits.

robz400
    Free Member

I had that same list and just bought an On One Space Chicken and am over the moon with it.

“Looking for proper mudguard eyelets on the frame and fork, flat mount hydro discs, thru axles and internal routing – 1x would be a bonus.”

Has all this plus is light and has external BB

bluedynamo
    Free Member

Thanks all for the responses.

Yes I’m wanting to commute on it and then use it for cross races at the weekend so that’s why I’m not considering a traditional commuter.

I’d forgot about the On One Space Chicken. It does seem pretty expensive for Planet X when compared with some of their similar specced bikes but I guess it’s a new model so they aren’t going to be reducing it straight away.

robz400
    Free Member

It does seem to drop by £200 or so fairly often…. i went for the rival build when the discount was there

parkesie
    Free Member

Boardman cx team is a good shout but it’s qr wheels are abit lardy. The cxr gains bolt though axles and can often be bought with mudguards fitted .

senorj

Have a look at the kinesis options.

redmist
    Free Member

I recently had a similar dilemma and ended up buying a Merida cyclo cross 500, mostly because it ticked enough of the boxes and was a really good price. Has through axles, internal cable routing, rack mounts. Unfortunately I’ve not ridden it yet so can’t offer more than that.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I have a Genesis vapour for commuting and mudguards fit great but as said above if you want a proper CX bike then you wont get mudguards on them I have a Trek crockett no chance of getting guards on that also if you have very steep hills on your commute then the gearing on a race CX bike is not great I took my CX bike out to 11/32 as I use it for leisure off roading still not as good gearing as a road or gravel bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a CX Commuter’ is closed to new replies.