Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a child car seat please
  • daveells
    Free Member

from age 10 months up .thanks

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Recaro are nice and the material is much better than others , I have had one for a year or so now and its all good

This one
    https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/5687693035718697158?q=recaro%20child%20seat&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari&sa=X&ei=-qTdUPbUMcyEhQf7mYGABQ&ved=0CEgQ8wIwAw#hsec:overview

YoKaiser
    Free Member

We’ve had loads and I’d say the Maxi Cosi one has been the best, decent buckles, easy adjustment, easy wipe material and well padded. Just feels a notch above the rest.

bigG
    Free Member

Whatever you buy, make sure to try it in your car before handing over your money. Also, think about ease of fitting and removing if you’re swapping it between cars.

Don’t be distracted by the flash names, or the swivel seats.

We have a maxicosi one, its great.

jam-bo

Just bought a maxi cosi from halfords. £110 down to £80 and then 10% extra in the sale I think.

Junior seemed to like it, slept all the way to grandmas and back

properbikeco
    Free Member

maxi cosi are good – priori xp if you need a bigish one, cabriofix for the wee ones

Garry_Lager

Think we have a hamax one which is good, but the fastening mechanism is only OK – a bit fiddly when you really want something chunky and dead simple.
    Putting a kicking and screaming kid into the child seat is an ordeal if it’s hard to get them fitted into it, so really pay attention to the straps and buckles.

freeagent
    Free Member

Maxi-Cosi – have been passed down from older duaghter to younger daughter and holding up well… you can also get replacement bits/covers fairly easily.

ivantate
    Free Member

BeSafe rear facer. Read the literature, then wonder why more people dont have them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure it matters that much tbh but you think it does at the time.

I remember buying a really expensive ones for safety etc and tutting at someone buying the cheapest

They now sit on a LIDL booster seat – its not even a new one

unovolo
    Free Member

Maxi Cosi are a pretty good call,well made and the most have a recline function,some are pretty bulky though.

We decided on a Cosatto Moova,its a bit slimmer than the Maxi cosi but is still nicely made with a decent recline function plus a free 4yr warranty,plus it looks funky.

steve_b77
    Free Member

We’ve just got the Halfords own make isofix one for 9-48 months.

Proper comfy if junior is anything to go by, it’s like a magic sleep machine

transapp
    Free Member

maxi cosi originally, but also have a non isofix recaro young sport. Both seem very good.

johndoh
    Free Member

Whatever you chose, buy from Mothercare and use their price match policy.

crankboy
    Free Member

From mother care and pricematch . We have a swivel seat which id a godsend in a small car .

gray

I read somewhere that the law is changing to make rear facing compulsory up to 15 months. Haven’t checked if that’s right yet – ours hasn’t quite grown out of his group 0 yet (he’s 9 months).

sgn23
    Free Member

We used a rear facing BeSafe until he was 4. It gives them a better chance of survival than forward facing in a crash.

Rearfacing.co.uk

I did a fair amount of research about this and it’s amazed me that rear facing until 4 hasn’t been made law in the UK like in the Scandinavian countries.

OP, you’ll also find that your existing seat is still fine for another 6 months or so. Check out the maximum weight as it’s this that determines how long you can use it for not the age of the child.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

My little un went into front facing seat from about 14 months, maybe earlier. With the rear facing seat his feet were pressing against the rear seatback and his legs/knees were bowed out. Was just not comfortable for him! Up to 4 seems a bit much.

ivantate
    Free Member

Aphex, if its a proper child rear facer then they are good till way over 3. We are just running into comfort issues at 1m tall for journeys over 1.5hrs.

nixie

BeSafe rear facer. Read the literature, then wonder why more people dont have them.

This. Our daughter just moved from infant seat into rear facing besafe. She loves the better view and its easy to get here into (easier than the infant seat and easier the forward facing seats). The literature makes a compelling read!

madhouse

Britain eclipses in our household. Little ‘un doesn’t seem to have any complaints and the covers come off for washing.

jfletch
    Free Member

Maxi Cosi in the wife’s and a Britain in mine. Much of a muchness when fitted but maxi cosi is easier to fit properly if you planning to move it between cars.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Have got a maxi cosi that swivels to help putting child in. Seems like a bit of a gimmic until you have done your back in and don’t have to reach right into the car.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Aphex, if its a proper child rear facer then they are good till way over 3. We are just running into comfort issues at 1m tall for journeys over 1.5hrs.

Not to knock your choice of car seat, as I have no idea if they’re good or not, but if you’re hitting ‘comfort issuses’ at 1m tall, then it surely wouldn’t last till way over 3 for a lot of kids – our 2 and 8 month year old is about that tall already.

jamj1974

Maxi Cosi Priori XP or Tobi.

ivantate
    Free Member

That must be well up the percentiles. it is really only on yorkshire to somerset style trips its a problem.

Whichever way I think its still going to be about 2 years in a far safer seat for most kids.

None isofix for us so a pain to swap cars!

jamj1974

The Maxi Cosi XP models have a great tensioning system so swapping is not too painful! Takes about 30 seconds to install safely – with practice.

jfletch
    Free Member

The Maxi Cosi XP models have a great tensioning system so swapping is not too painful! Takes about 30 seconds to install safely – with practice.

This

shifter
    Free Member

We have a Britax in one car and a Baby Weaver in the other, both Isofix. Britax is better.

Nobby

It always seems funny to me that folk judge a child seat on comfort rather than safety.

Back in the day, one of the kids at Jr’s nursery was injured in a relatively minor accident due to the maxi cosi seat he was in breaking from the (side) impact. After some investigating at the time it transpired that Which were the only people that had done any crash testing on them and that test rated the Bebe Confort Iseos way above everything else.

I would presume this has been updated since at it was 8/9 years ago.

gixer.john
    Free Member

We have just bought the Besafe IZI combi as we had decided to get a rearfacing seat for GixerJnr. We needed it to fit in two cars and found this was the only one which was compatible with a 2006 Picasso with floor storage compartments in front of the rear passenger seats.The Besafe was the only one which we could extend the leg far enough to reach to the chasis floor once the lid of the storage compartment was opened.
    Make sure you try any seat while the drivers seat is in it’s normal position – the Besafe takes up a lot of room and i can’t slide my seat any further back in my Insignia, so might be a problem if you are tall.
    MOTHERCARE service was absoulute SH**E, wouldn’t come outside because it was wet!!!
    We had bought a seat from one store and drove an 90 mile round trip for the other store to fit and they didn’t want’t ot come out – the woman did reluctantly, had a cursory look over then effed off. So on the following Saturday we had a 200 mile round trip to Milton Keynes to the In Car Safety Centre. There the ladies spent loads of time with us, and showed us how the Mothercare woman had wrongly installed the seat – bloody worrying.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a child car seat please’ is closed to new replies.