Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Recommend me a Bean to cup coffee machine
  • bigyim
    Free Member

I have just got back from holiday and they had a bean to cup coffee machine. Now I want one!
    This was a full sized built in job but I don’t have room for one of those in my kitchen.
    Can anyone recommend me a small one that won’t cost half a million pounds.

jam-bo

Delonghi magnifica. Usually on sale somewhere.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got a DeLonghi Magnifica and it is great. You can effectively control all the various parameters you need to get a decent brew, not too big and cost well under £300 as I caught it on a sale and a couple of years on has been completely reliable. Only the coffee snobs could want more.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alex

Third hand up for the Delonghi magnifica. Ours is 3 years old and we drink A LOT of coffee. It’s had one service that cost about £40. Turns out fantastic coffee (assuming you buy proper fresh beans) every time and is easy to clean.

Two of my friends have them now as well. Can’t remember what we paid for ours, but if it ever dies, I’ll just buy another one.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Number 4 for the DeLonghi Magnifica, perfect coffee, really easy to use and £298 on Amazon at the mo. You won’t regret it

johnnystorm

I have a Delonghi something or other. As I live in a hard water area it needs descaling quite frequently but that’s not really its fault! So simple to bash out a half-decent it’s less hassle making a coffee than having a glass of water. 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ll go 6 on the Delonghi. had ours 3 years and been faultless and makes a very passable brew.

Murray

De Longhi Magnifica. Had mine for 5 years. Works really well, cost about £250 then. I was looking at this or a Jura but the number of bad reviews for cheaper Juras pushed me this way and I’ve been happy.

Jamze

Delonghi here too, same Amazon deal 👆🏻

I like you can swap between beans and ground (assume all bean to cups do this?) Makes switching to decaf easy without emptying the bean hopper (doctor’s orders!)

Seems to ask for a descale quite frequently, but that’s only the milk frother that we rarely use as we drink black.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Magnafica here also. Had it three months. I adore it!

nickc

I hate threads like these, there never seems to be any consensus, just people recommending what they have bought….

BillMC

Magnifica, the most important tool in the kitchen. Good source of beans: https://hormozi.co.uk/

derek_starship
    Free Member

Nickc. Can I suggest you avoid “recommend me a” threads?

It may be a list of what people have bought but it’s fair to assume the purchase was researched and considered. Therefore the list is very useful.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I’m being whooshed or not. Please clarify, Derek.

mattbee

Had my Delonghi Perfecta for over 8 years now. Wouldn’t be without it although I do rarely use the milk jug/frother it is nice to be able to make a latte or cappuccino should someone want one.

LeeW

Blimey Derek, even I got Nick’s joke and I’m thick as!

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ll fetch my noose.

Gulp.

LeeW

Here you go.

oldtennisshoes

Our magnifica is 6 years old and refuses to die.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

We are also in a hard water area so just use 5L bottled water from Aldi 👍

Inbred456
    Free Member

We have the Magnifica at work. It’s OK but you need to heat the milk and the cup or it will be cold before you drink it. Also at full strength it’s still not that strong in my opinion. If you look at the grounds they are still quite coarse. It is cheap though and as others have said it goes on and on.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s OK but you need to heat the milk and the cup or it will be cold before you drink it.

Have you got the temp setting at max? It is adjustable.

feed

Also Delonghi Magnifica for 2+ years, no complaints at all. Well my wife complains about the racket it makes when making a coffee but a minor issue.

nickc

Sorry Derek, I was gently taking the piss. It was clearly a better joke in my head than on the page…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Karma for my RNLI thread…

Jamze

If you look at the grounds they are still quite coarse.

You can adjust the grinder too…

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

MrsDH only likes coffee muy caliente, and if you turn up the heat setting she is v happy. We did also make the grind finer to make the coffee stronger. It is easily adjustable, just not digitally. If you want one of those then get more readys out

boomerlives
    Free Member

I have had a Magnifica for 4 years, and this year it packed up.

I was going to get it serviced at Delonghi but it cost £180 (parts extra) and I would be without it for 3 weeks.

I got a Recon model direct from Delonghi’s store on eBay for £180. I think it might have been new, but a return.

It might be a sad indictment of the disposable society, or an indication that Delonghi’s service prices are way too high.

Look there; there was quite a choice.

bigyim
    Free Member

Well after much deliberation. Guess what I ordered

derek_starship
    Free Member

TiRed

Have a Jura Ena 7. It’s not bad, makes passable strength espresso. It’s had one service. I don’t use the milk frothwr and would generally avoid them. I bought it used for £75 five years ago. I’d replace it with another that didn’t have milk frothing if it died.

alanw2007

+1 (what are we up to now) for the Delonghi Magnifica. Wham the cup/mug in the microwave for 45 sec while the machine runs through its startup to keep the coffee hot.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Or lord it up like us by warming the cup with the Quooker whilst it turns on. Ooooo get us.

jam-bo

Or just stick the cup under to catch the rinse water, then throw it away. Warms the cup and means you don’t have to empty the tray as often.

Inbred456
    Free Member

To be fair I know we are talking about bean to cup but a burr grinder and stove top espresso maker will make a much superior cup of coffee every time.
    Just saying!

johndoh
    Free Member

We have a DeLongi at work and it’s great – made a shit load of coffees – but the seals are now starting to fail after four years and it slowly drips into the worktop. Not a big deal but my (not bean to cup) at home has worked for three times that time without a single fault or leak.

jam-bo

has worked for three times that time without a single fault or leak.

Has it made ‘A shit load of coffees’?

johndoh
    Free Member

No

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We have a DeLongi at work and it’s great – made a shit load of coffees – but the seals are now starting to fail after four years and it slowly drips into the worktop. Not a big deal but my (not bean to cup) at home has worked for three times that time without a single fault or leak.

The reality is this things need servicing. If you spend more money on more expensive machines then there is a service interval. And similarly with commercial machines. And I’m sure the De Longhi ones require servicing too, but not maybe for normal home use. Put it in an office getting hammered many times a day then clearly it’s not going to last forever without some attention and probably too much to ask for a machine that costs a couple or so hundred quid.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Has anyone tried cleaned the plastic bits of their DeLonghi Magnifica in the dishwasher (not the actual head part though)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Bean to cup coffee machine’ is closed to new replies.