• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend me a 4g sim router mains powered for home use
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Hi,

After a previous (iPad cellular) thread, I’m looking for an always on 4g router, mains powered, wireless router to replace my battery operated one (as it keeps overheating and failing) for home use.

WFH means it’s on for 14-15 hours a day…

I’m on EE and a nano sim slot would be preferred.

Amazon shows D-Link and TP-Link units for 80-145£…

Can anybody recommend me a decent one tat doesn’t cost the earth?

I’d be grateful 🙂

poly
    Free Member

We have a tplink in the office (sorry I can’t tell you the model no) as a backup for when the office Wifi goes down. Works well. Obviously performance will be determined by the quality / speed of your 4g signal (and no of people trying to share it)

jeffl

Do you have an old/spare phone? If so just set that up as a wireless hotspot and keep it plugged in. I don’t know how well a phone would handle multiple connections but if it’s just you for WFH then it should be fine. 14-15 hours is a long working day!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    metalheart
    Free Member

14-15 hours is a long working day!

There’s network issues and only critical/key workers currently allowed on it between 8-12 due to system designed for 1000 users is now being accessed by up to 6000 users… new capacity is being trialled but… so I logon sometime between 6 and 7, download what I need then work off line the rest of the morning. I should go take a shower at 8.00, but usually I’m into the thick of it by then. I usually run until 6, 7pm (with some breaks) and then there’s casual internet use for an hour or two so that how it’s on 6.00 to 22.00 worst case.

The problem with WFH is there’s no transition period that travel helps reset your head that ‘walk away from the keyboard’ thing…

cp

As suggested above, I just used an old phone when I needed this – just kept it plugged in. Works a treat even with multiple users.

metalheart
    Free Member

To be clear, it’s a permanent always on solution I’m after as Skype calls cause overheat in the battery operated version. Don’t want the same but different solution that requires charging, etc (charging heats up the battery and the battery is already overheating… well you can see that’s adding to the problem…). Fit and forget is what I’m after, I’ve just done a social distancing layout exercise and I can only fit 8-9 people out of 24 occupants with sufficient separation/general circulation (not looked at the welfare side yet!) so this is going to be the new normal for a while to come!

Don’t mind spending the money if it works and ends my problem. It’s only me and whilst running a works laptop, a personal laptop (for OWA off network for mail) and an iPad I’m only running 2 simultaneously (laptop for Skype/laptop for network pms only).

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d look for something with an external antenna. Means you can position it for the best signal.

Flaperon

Netgear Nighthawk? It’s portable (as in it has a battery backup) but is normally plugged in. Worked reliably for a year for me.

Alternatively, most decent third party routers (Netgear, ASUS) will recognise a 4G dongle as an internet source and then work as normal.

oldtennisshoes

What a great idea.

RUT240 – Teltonika Compact cost-effective and powerful 4G LTE router
    https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-routers-rut240.html

This is worth a read too. https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/broadband-internet-a-thrilling-update-including-a-picture-of-a-man-on-a-roof/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My reply on the TP-Link is here 🙂 . Specifically, the TPlink stays on as long as a device is linked to it otherwise is goes into sleep mode and has to activated by pressing the button on top.
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/4g-mobile-broadband-for-the-house-experiences/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

BTW I’m referring to the TP-link M7350 which was well recommended at the time. And yes I had it permanently plugged into the wall socket without issues (other than what I said above about it going into sleep mode if there wasn’t a device on it).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

And unfortunately I can’t recall whether having a mobile phone permanently connected to it would keep it active.

breadcrumb

Our ee branded 4g router has been fine for us.

Tiboy

We have the last generation 4G router from Huawei from three and it’s been great for us, including me WFH with constant teams VC meetings. Its the B315 I think. It can take external antenna

avdave2

I’m using a Huawei B525 and it’s been great. Will take external aerials though I’m not using them. I can see the local mast from where it’s sitting though. I’ve also added an AirPort Extreme upstairs via the power as a repeater as an rsj in the house means no router alone has so far been able to cover the whole house

cp

To be clear, it’s a permanent always on solution I’m after as Skype calls cause overheat in the battery operated version.

to be clear – 😉 – the phone solution works fine for me permanently plugged in (if you have an old phone to dedicate to the task. Had mine set up/switched on for 3 months solid providing internet for the house when we first moved here.

Alex

RUT240 – Teltonika Compact cost-effective and powerful 4G LTE router
    https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-routers-rut240.html

This is worth a read too. https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/broadband-internet-a-thrilling-update-including-a-picture-of-a-man-on-a-roof/

That was my thread.. yes recommend the Teltonika (or Tonka as it’s known in our house). It’s a proper industrial device. Sits in our loft where the temp goes from below zero to 30+ degrees.

Three is a bit variable but when service is good we’re getting between 15/50 an 25/80 mbps. That’s obviously with an external antenna. Inside with the crappy three supplied POS, we were getting about 3/14 which is what i got off my phone.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Just to chime in as I’ve done something similar, the RUT240 is a Cat4 modem and doesn’t do Carrier Aggragation which can limit speeds, theoretical max is 150mbps but I’d think that at 80 you are likely hitting the limits of the modem rather than the connection.

I got a RUTX09 which is Cat6 and with an EE sim I can see almost 100Mbps from the single mast I connect to 3.5kms away (using the same external antenna you used, although it is only mounted inside the roof rather than outside for now).

Oooh another thing, the RUTX09 supports passive PoE, I’m not sure the RUT240 does but it might, which means you can get a PoE injector and plug it in near your router in the house and just run the Cat5e cable into the loft or wherever you have your 4G modem.

chomp
    Free Member

We use the TP Link (ARCHER MR200) ones in loads of our project offices where we’re only on site for a few weeks at a time.

They work on all SIM’s (we’ve tried voda/three/EE/O2 with no issues) and have the bonus of a few ethernet potrs as well if you need them. We leave ours on 24/7 and haven’t had any problems with them at all.

Paired with a 3 all you eat SIM they have proven to be indespensible for our needs (we usually have 5 – 10 consultants connected to them at any given time)

durhambiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a TP Link TR-MR6400 that I use for timing jobs when I’ve got access to mains. It coped well running for 14 days constantly at Deca UK last year, keeping a couple of computers and a timing box online 24/7.

Alex

RUT240 is a Cat4 modem and doesn’t do Carrier Aggragation which can limit speeds, theoretical max is 150mbps but I’d think that at 80 you are likely hitting the limits of the modem rather than the connection.

Could well be. I asked Solwise what they recommended and we did have a chat about the higher spec one. I may upgrade at some point as I get 100 meg on my phone 5 mins from the house. But at that point I have line of sight whereas from the house we don’t.

I’m pretty happy with 80 at the mo 🙂

oldtennisshoes

RUT240 is a Cat4 modem and doesn’t do Carrier Aggregation

Presumably you’d need 2 sims in it for that to work ie twice the monthly cost?

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

UT240 is a Cat4 modem and doesn’t do Carrier Aggregation

Presumably you’d need 2 sims in it for that to work ie twice the monthly cost?

No, Carrier aggregation is part of the LTE-A spec that allows a device to form a pair of connections on seperate wavelength bands for higher thoughput and better reliability. It all works on a single 4G SIM.  Phones have been doing it for years, as I said the router I got is Cat6, I think current iPhone’s and Android phones are Cat11 which is why you can get faster speeds on your phone if you are in a strong signal area than a 4G router. As far as I know there are only 1 or 2 Huawei LTE routers that are classed as Cat11, no idea why it’s taking so long for fixed devices to catch up to phones but there you are.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for their comments, advice and general assistance.

I’ve ordered a MR200 AC750 (my ICT department also recommended it me, but I already had it my basket). Apparently it’s due to be delivered between 9-12th May (someone must be walking personally from Birmingham with it as it’s been done dispatched and picked up by courier already 🤣).

Today I had the new router die on me and the old one despite a charge died 45 mins into a Teams voice only meeting, just as I was being asked to contribute, excellent timing!).

Fortunately only one 1 hour skype call tomorrow and one Teams 1/2 call Friday… might see the weekend yet. I hope delivery is over estimated as I’ve a full day on Wednesday…

ETA: I tried both tethering and local hotspot but first impressions weren’t exactly inspiring. Both ways lost connection when inactive for a minute or two…

oldtennisshoes

No, Carrier aggregation is part of the LTE-A spec that allows a device to form a pair of connections on separate wavelength bands for higher thoughput and better reliability. It all works on a single 4G SIM. Phones have been doing it for years, as I said the router I got is Cat6, I think current iPhone’s and Android phones are Cat11 which is why you can get faster speeds on your phone if you are in a strong signal area than a 4G router. As far as I know there are only 1 or 2 Huawei LTE routers that are classed as Cat11, no idea why it’s taking so long for fixed devices to catch up to phones but there you are.

Thanks, I was confused where the aggregation was happening 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, my Archer MR200 arrived yesterday. A full 9 days ahead of scheduled delivery date, thankfully.

It was as a piece of piss to set up (the most onerous part was applying the sticker to the nano to mini sim converter, yup dropped it on the floor sticky side down). It did just plug and play, and easy to log in and change the passwords, personalise, etc.

Haven’t had the chance to test it in an hour plus skype or teams meeting yet but I do like having an always on internet again for the first time in over three years 😁 I won’t miss the continual on/off charging of the mobile router(s) and their failure during calls…

Thanks everyone for their advice.

nixie

When I spoke to EE about a house move last year they did tell me that they were working on a converged ADSL/4g router that’s was nearly ready. One plan, two connections with both being used. Think the idea was that when you don’t need the capacity the ADSL can handle it but when you do the 4g is there to seemlessly take over.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 4g sim router mains powered for home use’ is closed to new replies.