Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend best cheap chain retention for 1×9?
  • sirromj

Was just about to get a KOM on slightly declined bit of farm track the other day when the chain came off on my well-used 1×9 26″ rigid mtb commuter. Don’t want to use the old front mech I took off, don’t want to spend more than £15 if I can help it, don’t want to bodge something with a bit of old plastic pipe (unless it’s the best option).

Anything recommended?

bigyan
    Free Member

Superstar do a frame mount upper guide and BB mount upper guide. CRC do an ISCG full guide, evans do a cheap frame mount chain guide, all are less than £20.

sirromj

Can’t see anything on Evans – and no ISG mount. Superstar XCR Chain Keeper looks about right though. Thanks.

stevextc
    Free Member

There are a couple BB mounted double’s going now for non ISCG fames… (only slightly a bodge to go to 1x*) and they are £15 as I remember.

*I’m hoping as just purchased one!

bigyan
    Free Member

Cheapest one I can see

https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-pinnacle-chain-device-EV199200?lsft=esvt:55222-GOUKE2379916,esvq:,esvadt:999999-0-1222088-1,esvcrea:189702013088,esvplace:,esvd:c,esvtg:pla-307346456549,esvo:EV199200-NA-NA,esvaid:50080&esvt=55222-GOUKE2379916&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1222088-1&esvcrea=189702013088&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=pla-307346456549&esvo=EV199200-NA-NA&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Nzw5pLi2gIV65XtCh1p6wQeEAQYAiABEgIhW_D_BwE

Not sure how secure it would be (but I am partial to DH style guides personally)

molgrips
    Free Member
    Bez

I’ve got three helpers on mine: a Clarks narrow-wide ring (~£15), an N-Gage Jump Stop (~£11), and a bashring (~£10). That RSP one linked above looks a decent choice, too, if you’re not going to get the drivetrain caked in turf.

stevextc
    Free Member

Someone Correct me if I’m wrong but modifying this for 1x shouldn’t be too much of a botch ???

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-thirteen-trs-dmb-dual-ring-chain-guide/rp-prod82800

sirromj

Should have said no ISG mount on bike.

Thanks bigyan (I hadn’t looked outside of “Chain Devices & Bash Rings”) – that looks to be exactly the same as the Superstar XCR chain keeper but £4 cheaper.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Cheap thick thin ring and 10 speed chain, job done ….may be a bit more than 15 I spose

Northwind

Has it got a narrow/wide? If not, do that first, it’s way more effective than a top-only chainguide.

mucker

I’ve got one of these, it’s been flaweless and does 2x and 1x.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Chain-Director-Chain-Guide_76633.htm

£13.75

mark90
    Free Member

I went narrow wide on my 1×9 and used to drop the chain when the rear took square edge hits on rocks etc. Not dropped a chain since fitting one of the Superstar top guides, and it does look exactly like that (cheaper) Hoy one.

sirromj

Yeah got the narrow-wide. Still long cage rear mech though, perhaps could remove a link or two from chain, it sometimes comes off down a not quite pot-holed but lumpy-bumpy road if I’m feeling particularly energetic or rushed on my morning commute.

marcgear
    Free Member

N-Gear Jump Stop.  £10.

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=chng-js

Had one for several years before narrow-wide came along and it worked flawlessly. You can also add a bash ring for extra confidence.

brassneck

Have NW and 9 speed on one of the boys bikes, they bash that around and it’s never dropped – I’d check the chain length first, free to drop a link or two.

stevextc
    Free Member

The NW should <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>probably</span> be enough on a 9sp … perhaps its the long cage adding to the leverage and a few links???

I rode my 10sp HT lots with the clutch-off* and not a (frequent) problem with long cage and clutch off NW… but with the long cage and no clutch and 40T expander it started to be a problem.

*Actually the clutch wore out… on another bike and this got relegated but …

I salvaged the med cage from another mech.. and stuck this on… and for other reasons around that hub and the expander and not needing it its running a 36T now and from memory hasn’t dropped a chain… and it gets ridden down some steps and a few drop offs… If it was I’d have got round to transferring the clutch from the donor rear mech!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend best cheap chain retention for 1×9?’ is closed to new replies.