Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Really bad really good films
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Films that are universally acclaimed and have won shedloads of awards and whatnot that you watched  and  thought were just a lot of boring old rubbish…….

Last night’s effort – The Revenant.

The guy playing the bear should have won the oscar. That was an amazing scene.

The rest of it was just mostly chilly mumbling.

funkmasterp

Avatar, Titanic and The Last Jedi

Dickyboy

+1 for The Revenant and raise you

Lost in Translation for truly dire drivel

richmtb

The Revenant was okay.

Birdman though, christ, gave up half way through.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye, Birdman, Star Wars 1-3, The 2 last Alien related ones (Prometheus, can’t even remember the 2nd ones name)

Ronin (great chase tho) – pish

Wolf of Wall St – massively overated (DiCrapio’s only good film is The Departed IMO)

Anything with Tom Cruise (apart from Collateral).

I’ll stop there for a breather.

edhornby

I saw the revenant at the cinema and remember thinking ‘I enjoyed it but I’d have been bored watching it at home, it needed the big screen’

Avatar was real derivative nonsense

convert

The Godfather. I found it slow and dull.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Shawshazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, nodded off for a moment there.

rene59
    Free Member

Titanic and the original Star Wars (never watched any new ones). Tried watching that Birdman film but quit early into it.

teethgrinder

No Country for Old Men.

nickc

Another vote for Godfather, I think I’ve seen about 10mins of it over the years and every time I think it’s still pish and turn it over/off

The Exorcist is pretty dull as well.

RustySpanner

Close Encounters.

Aliens.

A Nightmare on Elm St.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Another vote for Godfather, I think I’ve seen about 10mins of it over the years and every time I think it’s still pish and turn it over/off

yeah cause 10 mins of a film like that is perfect to review it 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

Apocalypse Now – what utter crap

funkmasterp

The 2 last Alien related ones (Prometheus, can’t even remember the 2nd ones name)

Didn’t they both get pretty shit reviews all round? Alien You blow and I’ll do the fingering is a terrible film IMO.

superstu
    Free Member

Some of my favourite films up there people!

titanic, avatar, Star Wars prequels all absolutely horrendous though

lotto
    Free Member

Natural Born Killers

Blair Witch Project

Schindler’s List

Drac

The Revenant definitely utter garbage.

Interstellar

The Arrival

There Will be Blood.

superstu
    Free Member

Drac – there will be blood is immense! And the arrival or arrival (Amy Adams?)

honestly I’m reading this remembering loads of great films I want to watch again 😂

MrPottatoHead

Aliens

WTF?  How can anyone think that is a bad movie? Granted the sequels were bad, but Aliens is a superb film.

gauss1777
    Free Member

All Star Wars and Star Treks. Grease.

hols2
    Free Member

Crash

Eyes Wide Shut

Dead Poets’ Society

Synecdoche, New York

120 Days of Sodom

hols2
    Free Member

There Will be Blood

There was blood. What else did you want?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

12 years a slave. Went to cinema to watch it, wish I hadn’t gone.

+1 Prometheus

Jurassic Park, Lost World. Ridiculous film.

bigdean

We watched “The greatest showman” at the weekend. Aparrently everyone raves about it, the nephew has seen it 6 times (though i suspect some female member of the cast to be the reason).

It’s rubbish the mrs summed it up as Hugh Jackman trying to be 20, failing and not taking his top off.

willard

<div>Rubber_Buccaneer
    Apocalypse Now – what utter crap
    </div>

GTFO NOW! How in the hell can you say that??? It is an amazing film! It nearly bankrupted a film studio, drove its director to a breakdown, gave the lead actor a heart attack, gave the world the love of the smell of napalm in the morning! You, sir, have no taste.

Gangs of New York on the other hand…

Also, Tom Cruise has been in a noteworthy film, just that it deserves in the other thread of films that are so bad they are good: Top Gun. A classic.

racefaceec90

anything by gus van sant

cheese@4p

Sicario

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wow some people really didn’t get some awesome films, I feel sad for you all!!

nickc

yeah cause 10 mins of a film like that is perfect to review it

I wasn’t reviewing its just personal observation. I understand its a “great” film it’s just not something I’m that keen on.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Another vote for -> There Will be Blood

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

There are some terrific films mentioned up there. I have this “debate” with my brother regularly.

There is a thread in this I suspect – a film which is slow paced and based around character development and conflicting motivations seems to be getting a bad rap IMO. Some stories are not just about a basic 1-2-3 plot line. But each to their own.

IHN

Widely appreciated films that I thought were rubbish:

– Apocalypse Yawn

– Birdman (I actually walked out of the cinema, it was dreadful)

– Alien (singular)

– Withnail and I (I genuinely don’t get it. It’s awful)

– Bladerunner (although I’m willing to give that another go, I was about 16 when I watched it)

– Kill Bill (typical pretentious Tarantino w@*k)

IHN

a film which is slow paced and based around character development and conflicting motivations seems to be getting a bad rap IMO.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I, generally, like slower paced, longer films, that have the time to develop character and plot. However, slow pace need not mean no pace (like Apocalypse When)</span>

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t really think that’s the type of “bad film” the thread is about IHN, but hey-ho.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bladerunner (although I’m willing to give that another go, I was about 16 when I watched it)

Do yourself a favour and get the Final Cut, it’s the only version that is truly awesome, the rest are in the unfinished/studio meddled end of things

TBH when people dismiss something that many people have appriciated as top quality examples of films as being Dreadful or Awful it seems like the point has been missed and really you didn’t enjoy it or get it or appreciate what it was doing.

there are plenty of actually really bad films out there that are nothing but derivative cliche to lame gag to obvious set up twist to take to task before most of this lot in here.

trail_rat
    Free Member

napoleon dynamite.

it has no real story , no real ending , utterly shit visuals.

rather funny – but only once.

IHN

I don’t <em class=”bbcode-em”>really think that’s the type of “bad film” the thread is about IHN, but hey-ho.

Eh? What have I missed? I though this was the “films that people say are good but you think are rubbish” thread, as opposed to the other “films that you think are great that mopst people say are rubbish” thread.

TBH when people dismiss something that many people have appriciated as top quality examples of films as being Dreadful or Awful it seems like the point has been missed and really you didn’t enjoy it or get it or appreciate what it was doing.

Careful now, this is where the pretension often kicks in. It’s perfectly possible to ‘get’ a film and still not like it (for me, Apocalypse Now falls into that camp). Or, indeed, realise that there’s nothing to ‘get’, and there’s a strong whiff of Emperor’s New Clothes (I’m looking at you, Tarantino)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Careful now, this is where the pretension often kicks in. It’s perfectly possible to ‘get’ a film and still not like it

Hence I added not enjoy also, you don’t have to like everything and not everything good will be liked

DezB
    Free Member

Shit, sorry IHN, I thought I was reading a different thread. I do beg your pardon. does 😳 still work?

I shall think of something proper to add 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Really bad really good films’ is closed to new replies.