Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Pushing your bike along a footpath clarification
  • kayak23

Can I just check with those who probably know better?

Am I allowed to walk along a footpath in England pushing my bike?

I think this might have come up before, but I’d like to know for sure.

Just had a massive row while walking and cycling the dog with a local farmer family who physically barged me and hit my bike with fencing pliers and generally lost their shit just because I was walking my bike and my dog through their land.

They had loads of angry signs on the gate saying no bikes ridden or pushed but are they actually allowed to say that?

Happy to be proved wrong but I thought that it was ok as long as I wasn’t riding?

It probably isn’t. This is England after all. ****** up to the last. 😠

I really hate stuff like this. I honestly can’t understand what harm they think I’m doing by walking along wheeling my bike. I just can’t understand how folks can summon up enough angst to go to the lengths they did when I’m literally doing no harm. I asked them this but they said it didn’t matter. I guess it doesn’t 🙄

Someone doing untold damage to a footpath recently…

nickc

It’s legal to push your bike along a footpath

kayak23

Can you possibly show me this for deffo in law? I feel like I want to go round with a print out.

It’s what I said to them but as I was saying it I realised that might just be my interpretation.

dyna-ti

Thats terrible Kayak, they shouldn’t have acted like that, there was no need and a simple explaining on their feelings would have been sufficient.

I’ve only had one run in with a landowner, who got a bit shirty, but i threatened to beat the shit out of him if he didn’t wind his neck in, and that pretty much settled that.

andrewh
    Free Member
    alan1977
    Free Member

I was taught, on my cycling proficiency test… that bikes should be pushed along the road while walking on the footpath
    this was some 35 years ago…
    so i guess if that’s true then it could you were in the wrong, but no one ever is going to confront you on it, so i you’d think at least

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Assault is definitely a criminal offence, so is criminal damage (to a mountain bike).

convert

When this comes up normally there is reference to it being a grey area. That whilst a pram is considered a ‘usual accompaniment’ to a pedestrian a bike isn’t. Neither is a horse. So both a cyclist walking a bike and a rider leading a horse are committing trespass. But as I say, such thoughts are normally accompanied by “it’s a grey area”. So….it’s a grey area.

More to the point – what’s going on in sad little life of people wanting to enforce/make a fuss about this? Baffling and very much says more about them than it does the law.

In other news, living in Scotland rocks!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Dont confuse pavements with footpaths, very different rules apply.

kayla1
    Free Member

Where is this? Can we organise a mass trespass walk along pushing our bikes?

funkrodent

I’m not an expert on this but I do have a modicum of understanding (a guy from cycling UK did a good report on it a year or so ago).

In brief though a footpath is a legally protected right of way. Cycling on it is only illegal per se if there is specific local legislation to that effect. Otherwise it is a matter for the landowner and you. And would be a civil matter at most (ie you can’t get nicked for it). As I understand it the landowner would have to prove trespass and that ultimately boils down to whether or not he/she can prove unreasonable use of the footpath on your part. Unreasonable use seems to be utilising the public right of way in a manner that isn’t in line with how such rights of way are normally used. In the past protesters on a verge and a lady pushing a pram have been found to be reasonable users.

The article in question is here – https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/campaigns-guide/cycling-on-footpath-trespass

In brief though, there is no way he could prove trespass in a civil court if you’re pushing a bike and very little chance if you’re riding it. On the other hand if he and his family pushed and threatened you and struck your bike, you’d probably have a case against him!

convert

edit to my above – this ‘briefing’ by cycle uk is their case for why what you did was fine.. page 7.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/migrated/info/public-footpaths5ebrf.pdf

funkrodent

I was taught, on my cycling proficiency test… that bikes should be pushed along the road while walking on the footpath
    this was some 35 years ago…

This is kind of a classic example of a common misunderstanding. You are kind of right – in that riding a bike on a footway is illegal – and I’m not sure about the pushing aspect; but the key thing is understanding the difference between a footway – a path running next to a road (usually, but not always, pavement) and a footpath. They are different and the rules governing each are very different. So that which was taught in the cycling proficiency has no relevance to the OP’s situation

crazy-legs

As @funkrodent says – a bike is technically (by the letter of the law) an “unnatural accompaniment” so pushing / carrying it isn’t allowed.

That said, trespass is a civil offence, not a criminal one and the most the landowner is allowed to do is ask you to leave via the “nearest appropriate way” which can include back the way you came. Any hint of threats or physical violence is a far more serious offence.

It’s worth reporting to the police but without witnesses or video footage, it’s unlikely that much will come of it. Even if the police just go round and have a word though, that might be helpful.

Where was this out of interest? Not the exact location if you don’t want to say that but a rough area?

kayak23

Where was this out of interest? Not the exact location if you don’t want to say that but a rough area?

Near Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.
    I was walking the footpath to get to the bridleway that goes back to ‘Radford Semele’.

Just to clarify, it’s a footpath as in off-road, not a paved pavement.

the most the landowner is allowed to do is ask you to leave via the “nearest appropriate way” which can include back the way you came. Any hint of threats or physical violence is a far more serious offence.

They did ask me to go back to the gate and leave my bike, then I could walk through without the bike.
    I declined. Not a great situation 😐

belugabob
    Free Member

It’s worth reporting to the police but without witnesses or video footage, it’s unlikely that much will come of it. Even if the police just go round and have a word though, that might be helpful.

I’d be tempted to suggest that a policeman borrows my bike and pushes it along the same footpath (in plain clothes, of course) so that they can witness the behaviour first hand

bsims
    Free Member

Turn his livestock into sausages and hammer them into his fields.

I shall take a ride down there in a couple of weeks.

kayak23

Also to clarify, it was 3 females.

Lady maybe in her 30s, her daughter and her mother. All of them barging me, trying to stop me passing.

I can confirm it’s fairly difficult to get a fatbike and a big dog over two large gates with 3 women jostling, pushing and shouting at you whilst blocking said gates. 😂

thepodge
    Free Member

As above, it’s a grey area. There could be a specific bylaw that bans bikes on footpaths regardless of if they are pedaled or pushed which overwrites basic English law but most likely the guy is just a nob.

sgn23
    Free Member

get your phone out and start video recording in those situations. You are perfectly within your rights to push a bike on a footpath. Did you turn around?

Sandwich

I’m up for a bolshy mass protest next weekend. Anyone else likely to be in the area, by coincidence?

MoreCashThanDash

They aren’t allowed to barge you or hit your bike. That’s assault, and you should be reporting it to the Police.

The rest is mere detail.

kayak23

You are perfectly within your rights to push a bike on a footpath.

Well this is the thing. Am I well within my rights? Some of the above doesn’t really suggest I am.

Did you turn around?

No. I was totally…

sgn23
    Free Member

Crank v Brooks was the case I was trying to recall. It’s mentioned on p7 of ^ that Cycling UK paper. Once I read this years ago I decided if ever I was challenged riding a bit of cheeky FP, i’d dismount and become a pedestrian (quoting Crank v Brooks if needed 😂). So, well within your rights, especially if you had dismounted. (ByeLaws aside)

STW has had this thread a few times before

RoW question – is pushing or carrying your bike on a footpath legal?

Wheeling your bike on a footpath

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time I read about this I seem to remember reading that there was a test case for someone pushing a bike along a footpath, and it was determined that a bike WAS in fact a normal accompaniment to walking in certain circumstances, so it’s ok.

But even if it wasn’t, it’d be a civil offence meaning that the landowner would have to sue you for the damages incurred by you doing it. Assault however is a criminal offence.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

My thoughts

First report the assault to the police, they shouldn’t be as aggressive as they are, getting a briefing from the local plod might calm them down

Second, put a bridleway claim in on the footpath with the local council, just to wind them up

Third report the incident to local rights of way people at the council

Let the ramblers association know (or other local walking group) know there may be history here

You could always state that “you believe higher rights exist on the PRoW and that you will continue to exercise them until settled at a public inquiry” perfectly legitimate

Finally go again and put the bike on your shoulder, film any reaction, tell them thanks for the YouTube income and don’t forget to like and subscribe

jekkyl

How are your raspberry powers? I finds a near constant rasp is preferable to talking in such a situation.

onewheelgood

Interestingly, the one and only time I’ve been harassed by a landowner was when I was riding the bridleway that goes from Radford Semele to the Fosse on your map. It was 30 years ago, mind you. Must be something in the water around there.

fazzini

Turn his livestock into sausages and hammer them into his fields.

As ever, STW never fails to lift the mood of the depressed. Thank you 😄

kayak23

Turn his livestock into sausages

During all the arguing, I said that I’d lived round here most of my life, ridden and walked all over the county and never had met such incredibly negative and aggressive landowners as they were. She asked where I lived and I told her Leamington Spa.

She then says, ‘oh a bloody townie. I bet you’re a bloody vegan too’
    😂😂😂

I’m a veggie, but I didn’t tell her that. 😉

grum
    Free Member

That said, trespass is a civil offence, not a criminal one

Isn’t that about to change?

remedyflyer
    Free Member

As said above this is a grey area I have done the same pushed my bike on National trust land in the past to get to a Bridleway and a member of staff went nuts at me for even doing that so you just cant win had the same issue the other year when I just parked my trail bike just of a byway in Wilts to have a stop and someone moaned about that so now I just cycle footpaths from time to time a lot of this anger has come from the first two months of lockout just look around at the signs up in places that have never been their in the last 20 years.Farmers are a strange bunch.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Possibly pushing a bike on the pavement is an offence:

S. 72 Highway Act 1835
    If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F2; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [F3level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.

The “lead or drive” bit. It doesn’t refer to bikes, but it was 1835…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Farmers are a strange bunch.

Red sky at night, gerroff my land

singletrackmind

La la la I cant hear you, ive been deaf from birth, yes its rather unfortunate,isnt it a lovely day, please stop touching my bike, i dont understand what your screaming.
    Why are ypu so angry? Maybe some therapy would help. Have a great day, bye.

dissonance

Red sky at night, gerroff my land

Red sky at morning, but keep handing over the subsidies you townie scum.

scuttler

Pavement != footpath

Pick it up, turn it into luggage and tell them to **** off.

Or keep riding and tell them to **** off.

Simple choice.

bails

She then says, ‘oh a bloody townie. I bet you’re a bloody vegan too’

Whereas she’s spent her whole life a full 1.5 miles from Leamington high street in the remote wilderness of Radford Semele 😂

jeffl

As others have said, they were bang out of order.

I used to be really diligent about not riding on footpaths. But during the first lockdown and riding local I just thought, bugger it and started riding footpaths.

I don’t ride like a tool and 99.9% of people are fine. Only time I’ve had grief was when riding a wide gravel footpath that’s effectively a road, for access to some old cottages. Woman drove up to me and said I shouldn’t be cycling here. Just laughed at her and carried on.

dyna-ti

Red sky at night

Hay bales alight 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Pushing your bike along a footpath clarification’ is closed to new replies.