Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Pulp fiction.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I forgot how good it was!
    I reckon this may only be the second time I’ve watched it start to finish.
    And yes I’m sure it will have huge haters on here but I’ve sat and watched and it’s brought back so many memories of uni days.

mattyfez

One of the best films I’ve ever seen.

It was so different at the time..

Reservoir dogs is also a cinematic master piece.

But my favourite film of all time will always be true romance. It’s just beautiful.

colournoise

A truly great film.

From back when Tarantino was being properly brave as a film maker…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Used to think it was awesome, and saw it loads before even it got so popular.

Then it’s just been over hyped and I’ve watched it way too much. Not seen it in 10 years maybe. I probably need another 10 before I’m ready to watch it again having erased all the quotes from my mind (assuming dementia has set it).

It’s still a great film, but I’ve OD’d on it. Got the same way with Star Wars.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I don’t ever remember Bruce looking so young. We went in looking for die hard and came up witg this!
    I’m no film buff but some of the cinematography and direction even to my ludite mind is just sublime.

mattyfez

Tarrtanino has lost his form of late, but that’s not a criticism.

How the hell to you get better that the best?

Also desperado, what a film.

[video]https://youtu.be/moAZ3AsyhLU[/video]

perditus
    Free Member

Nah, ……

mattyfez

I never rated Jackie brown, I found it a bit boring.

RobHilton
    Free Member

saw it loads before even it got so popular.

Hipster!!! It was popular as soon as it came out – one of those films EVERYONE was talking about.

OP: How have you *only* seen it twice?? Maybe I’m a bit Rainman, but the films I like get played to death. I’ve easily seen PF 40 times.

Jackie Brown OTOH I’ve seen all of once :mrgreen:

mikey74
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction is utter genius, and a film Tarantino hasn’t got close to since. Nor have many others, for that matter.

colournoise

Actually think Jackie Brown IS a better piece of film making, and possibly Tarantino’s best work (heresy!). More considered and restrained, just not as ‘Tarantino’ as some of his other stuff, so often gets overlooked.

Don’t think he’s ever made a duff film (although admittedly I haven’t seen Deathproof yet), and thought The Hateful Eight was a proper return to form.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

If your gonna watch Deathproof you really should watch Planet Terror the same night as well.

jekkyl

Bring out the gimp!
    Gimp’s sleeping
    Well I guess you’ll have to go wake him up now won’t you

codybrennan
    Free Member

Excellent film.

Did you know he’s called Brett, and not Brad?

Drac

Excellent film.

It was popular from almost day one?

Swelper
    Free Member

Awesome movie.
    Two polar apart characters drawn together for one cause who have nothing in common. Compelling story telling and fantastic directorship

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

saw it loads before even it got so popular.

Hipster!!!It was popular as soon as it came out – one of those films EVERYONE was talking about.

Must admit, I went “Eh???” on reading that. I remember it being instantly the must see film, everywhere. I even seem to recall it being hyped and eagerly anticipated beforehand, off the back of Reservoir dogs.

kerley
    Free Member

It was popular from almost day one?

Guess they were part of the production team or something….

mooman
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction is one of the very few films I have watched more than once. It was so very different from anything before.

Reservoir Dogs just pips it for me though.

Jackie Brown signalled the end of Tarantino’s magic.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Popular from the start maybe though I was watching it in mostly empty cinema at the time it came out. Took a few weeks and people were really going nuts about it. Still though the mainstream endless overquoting hype took a bit more time. When songs started sampling quotes from it etc.

jonnyrockymountain

I agree with mattyfez True romance is Tarantino’s best, it’s 10/10 fantastic film

jimjam
    Free Member

Wrightyson was obviously at the Cannes Film Festival for the midnight premier.

jonny rocky mountain – Member
    I agree with mattyfez True romance is Tarantino’s best, it’s 10/10 fantastic film

Not even a Tarantino film to begin with nevermind his best.

deadkenny
    Free Member

His script and it shows, but yeah a Tony Scott (RIP 🙁 ) film.

jonnyrockymountain

So you don’t class someone who wrote the film as not being there’s ?

holmes81
    Free Member

Watched it again recently and agree that it’s great. Not only a great bit if cinema.

Only just realised why Mia Wallace overdosed because she mistook Vicente stash.

One of the best soundtracks for a film

Didn’t rate JB, really really like True Romance. Gary Oldman is brill Brad Pitts first film iirc.

clevertrevor
    Free Member

On a semi related theme back in uni days had heard all the hype about Resevoir Dogs, went along but couldn’t get tickets.

Bad Lieutenant on also and Harvey K in it so we think let’s see that instead. Oh Jesus. Half empty cinema at least half of those walk out at some point during it. I came close to leave too. A tough watch doesnt come close to describing it.

jimjam
    Free Member

jonny rocky mountain – Member

So you don’t class someone who wrote the film as not being there’s ?

Something of a grey area obviously, but you wouldn’t call Apocalypse Now a John Millius film would you? Would you call Lethal Weapon a Shane Black film? Is Alien Ressurection a Joss Whedon film? Is Jurrasic Park a Michael Crichton film….and so on. and on. and on. I would answer no to most of the above (Apocalypse now is a maybe) but it begs the question why is True Romance reffered to as a Tarantino film at all?

Answer is that’s how it was marketed – Tarantino had only released one film at that point so True Romance was heavily and deliberately portrayed as the next Tarantino film, something I don’t think Tarantino was too thrilled about at the time. Nor was he happy with the changes made to his script. He’s changed his tune since Tony Scott’s death mind.

clevertrevor

Bad Lieutenant on also and Harvey K in it so we think let’s see that instead. Oh Jesus. Half empty cinema at least half of those walk out at some point during it. I came close to leave too. A tough watch doesnt come close to describing it.

Brilliant film. Abel Ferrara’s best. King of New York and The Addiction are two of Christopher Walken’s best films and well worth a look. Probably very dated now mind.

clevertrevor
    Free Member

Remember KoNY and it was v.good. BL just too dark don’t remember that much other than the nun rape scene was what caused most walk outs.

perditus
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction is more in your face with big set pieces for sure but when you’ve seen it once or twice its a bit meh but JB is a much more considered piece of filmmaking – Pam Grier and Robert Forster just great. SL Jackson’s favourite Tarantino film as well.

Drac

Answer is that’s how it was marketed

Was it?

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6DW0HtpT-0[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Answer is that’s how it was marketed

Was it?[/quote]

Yes, if I recall correctly that trailer was a result of legal action threatened by either Tarantino or his then production partners because the marketing material had been so Tarantino heavy.
    Remember this was immediately after Reservoir Dogs and the huge controversy surrounding it. Tarantino was a household name.

Magazines and newspapers were full of articles revelling in the extreme sex and violence that would be in Tarantino’s next film.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction for thrills, Jackie Brown for style. The others I can take or leave. Didn’t think much of Reservoir Dogs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He is somebody doing his own thing, sometimes it works, sometimes it’s amazing. Pulp fiction and reservoir dogs were iconic and ground breaking, films that are part of a generational change. The rest of his output stands very well too.

Drac

Yes, if I recall correctly that trailer was a result of legal action threatened by either Tarantino or his then production partners because the marketing material had been so Tarantino heavy.

That’s the original trailer I’m not sure you’re recalling it correctly.

Anyway True Romance is a also a brilliant film.

mariner
    Free Member

I found a recording of Pulp Fiction on my recorder so watched it again and it was different to how I remembered it. Are there different versions?

Go to film would be Usual Suspects until I can figure out what is going on.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I remember saying the PF was the best film I’d ever seen when it came out, such a rollercoaster of a ride from beginning to end. Haven’t seen it for years, but some of the scenes are etched in my memory!

mogrim

Dull, with overwrought and overwritten set-pieces. Saw it once, and that was once too much.

Not a Tarantino fan, must be said.

angeldust
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member

🙄

Over what time frame are you talking here?
    Critically acclaimed almost as soon as it was released was it not? Pulp fiction was ‘popular’ at the time of release, so unless you saw it multiple times on the first few days of release back in 1994, I’m not sure what you are getting it?

theotherjonv

My favourite film. Some of the dialogue is just brilliant.

Would you give me a foot massage?

**** you!

deadkenny
    Free Member

angeldust – Member
    Over what time frame are you talking here?
    Critically acclaimed almost as soon as it was released was it not? Pulp fiction was ‘popular’ at the time of release, so unless you saw it multiple times on the first few days of release back in 1994, I’m not sure what you are getting it?

Sheesh, was just a throw away, slightly joking comment. Simply how I observed it amongst the student population I was with at the time and general community.

And also, I’m not talking about immediate success but how it was still treated as a (yes successful) indie film for a quite a while, but then after some months or year or more it was over saturated with everyone endlessly quoting it. Kind of got annoying really. Like a meme that’s been way over done. It was at that point that had became hugely popular and very much mainstream, instead of a cult film that was very popular with cult audiences. IMO.

Anyway, moving on 😀

True Romance I believe Tarantino had sold the script early on to raise money for whatever it was (Res Dogs or Pulp Fiction, not sure). Regardless of his feelings, it was out of his hands then. I actually think it was better as filmed than the original script called for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Pulp fiction.’ is closed to new replies.