• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pubs and restaurants in Barmouth/Llanber/Tal-y-Bont
  • lunge

Have the pleasure of a few days in this area and am looking for some suggestions for good places to eat and drink.
    Thinking cosy, dog friendly pubs and open to ideas on the food front.
    Thanks all.

IHN

This place is in a cracking spot by the estuary, handy for refreshments after a walk along the Mawdach Trail

https://georgethethird.pub/

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Ysgethin Inn Talybont, my local. Nineteen 57 on Islawrffordd caravan park Talybont, very plush great food. Victoria Inn Llanbedr.

johnnystorm

https://www.myrddinsbrewery.com/

Well worth a visit. 🙂

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Not entirely sure about dog friendly inside at Nineteen57, we usually sit outside under cover, yes dark glasses incognito.

matt_outandabout

Does the Sand Dancer nightclub still exist?
    “Where Reality Ends, And Fantasy Begins”
    (ooft, I can smell the place now, 29 years on…)

ElShalimo

About 15 years ago there used to be a pub opposite the Bonttdu campsite run by some stressed out Manc. He always complained when he had customers as he had to do work and was too stressed to pour pints

His assistant looked like Peoples Hernandez from the awful Shaft film  (before he was Felix Liter). It was a very strange place

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Can’t personally vouch for it, but I’m told this place is good:
    https://www.thebankrestaurantbarmouth.co.uk/

Gribs

As mentioned above the Ysgethin Inn does honest pub food and is very dog friendly. There’s decent walks and riding in the woods above it too. There used to be an Italian in Talybont which was shut when I last visited in May but did have signs saying it was planning to reopen.

BigJohn

A few months before the first lockdown we had a weekend in Barmouth. We went to the Bank restaurant and it was a laugh – for the wrong reasons. Airs and graces of a Mayfair 3star just succeeded in trying to suck the fun out of it and the staff looked down on the clientele.
    The menu was pretentious but the food didn’t meet the high standards they had set. Not by a long way.
    I think I left a review on Tripadvisor saying it was proper up itself.
    The other 2 nights there we went to far less glamorous places and had a good time and a good meal. The crowded pub restaurant by the harbour was a belter.

dti

The mermaid in Barmouth

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I went to Barmouth 300 years ago and it was shit, blah, blah, blah, yawn. 🤣

lunge

Thanks all.

Pieface

Mawddach Pizza is good, though moe Dolgellau. Probably not Dog friendly but they do have outside seating.. We got an amazing upstairs seat in the window looking up to Cadair Idris.

z1ppy

Err will being there last July be too new a view point?

Have the pleasure of a few days in this area

No need to be down about it, & you don’t have to spend your time at Las vega penny arcades in Barmouth, it’s a lovely area. Can’t recommend Harlech beach enough, glorious in the sun (it’s was too hot in July), the Blue lake at Fairbourne used to be great experience over, before it was shut due to lock down litter but assuming you like the outdoors, the area is fantastic.

Food wise, Norbar, between Barmouth and Tal-y-bont was good but only dog friendly on the patio
    The Victoria inn in Llanber is very good, great service on a very busy sunday, when we were there. We have popped in a couple of time previosuly while doing loops over Pont Scethin.
    Ate in The Tilman in Barmouth, great food & dog friendly but not a cosy pub.
    Otherwise Dolgellau has lots of good places to eat (Yr Unicorn, The Royal Ship, Tafarn Y Gader [tapas] but I couldn’t comment on their dog friendly status) & my friend said the Gatehouse Steakhouse was very good last month..

he mermaid in Barmouth

Was recommended by the place we stayed, but we didn’t try it.

There used to be an Italian in Talybont which was shut when I last visited in May but did have signs saying it was planning to reopen.

Still had signs up, think it was talking about opening in 2023.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This place is in a cracking spot by the estuary, handy for refreshments after a walk along the Mawdach Trail

Agree beautiful location. However they have gone a bit up market now, and it’s lost a bit of its charm. Still definitely worth a pint and some food though

lunge

In the vastly unlikely event anyone is interested in an outcome.
    Had a stunning few days down there, beautiful part of the world and I can highly recommend an AirBnB if anyone wants the link.
    Food wise, we loved Norbar, really nice and if you ask nicely they do allow dogs inside. We also ate at The Tillman, not as good as Norbar but perfectly good pub food.

IHN

I can highly recommend an AirBnB if anyone wants the link.

If it’s dog-friendly, I’m interested

z1ppy

actually so am I.. Mrs Z want to go the week after next, and I currently looking at an uninsulated cabin, with an electric fire and coin operated meter

PS. Nice heads up about Norbar and dog’s, I didn’t think to ask, just assumed… it was blazing hot, so we didn’t want to be indoors that day.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.