Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • PSA – track behind Nationwide Swindon conditions
  • dickyhepburn
    Free Member

All went past these twice today, was being driven so I was able to look over and see that the track looks to be in good condition despite the storms. So anyone coming from afar (say Marlborough or Tetbury), you won’t be disappointed 👍

hodgynd
    Free Member

I hope one day to visit that mtb mecca that is the track behind the Nationwide Swindon ..but tell me is it worth the 8 hr trip from deepest Northumberland ?

funkmasterp

I too dream of riding the sacred dirt of the track behind the Nationwide in Swindon. Perhaps one day when I have developed the necessary skills I will make the pilgrimage. If only to tell my children of it so that they can see that truly I lived a worthy life.

piemonster

I’d just like to know the back story tbh 🧐

darksideby182

And the Tesco Swindon story please.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

We should really organise a f*ck cancer group ride to the woods behind nationwide

matt_outandabout

Here is a picture of me riding it last week.

null

doomanic

I’d just like to know the back story tbh

Me too, perhaps it’s this; Croft Mountain Bike Trail
    https://www.moredirt.com/trail/United-Kingdom_South-West/Croft-Mountain-Bike-Trails/277

Caher

Could do that exalted track and then the Ridgeway back to Goring/Streatly and then onto Reading.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thought were joking, so had a look on Google Earth. Though probably changed by now

scotroutes

That must be an old image. It doesn’t show the uplift.

igm

We should really organise a f*ck cancer group ride to the woods behind nationwide

Probably should really.
    Everyone bring a few beers.
    And a barbecue maybe.

Thing is though, I was staying over in Swindon a couple of years ago and the locals refused to tell me where the trails were. Claimed there was no Nationwide.

roger_mellie

…Claimed there was no Nationwide.

First rule of Nationwide club…

AlexSimon

There’s a video of Brendog on them somewhere I think.

Found it – Here you go

I’ve invited some friends over from Vancouver Island to hit them in May. Should be epic!

Scapegoat

Mrs Scape was telling me that her friend’s son had just landed a job as an FA with Nationwide. She told me she wondered how far his salary would stretch as he’s to be based in Swindon. SHe was puzzled when I told her he wouldn’t be short of some epic MTB’ing, but I think the joke was lost on her.

hodgynd
    Free Member

What’s this joke then ..?

kayak23

I was there at the weekend actually. Trails were running mint. New gondola is dope. 👌

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty sure it was old Philconsequence (well, he’s young, but he’s old of this forum if you see what I mean) that mentioned the hallowed trails on here first. Long ago, much longer agoer than that Pinkbike article.

natrix
    Free Member

For the small amount of space they have, I think that the Swindon folk have done really well with their trail, especially the north shore. It’s easy to mock, but until you pick up a spade and build something better…………..

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty sure “mocking” isn’t the game here.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It’s even on Trailforks.

Nationwide

IHN

Snow forecast Thursday, in which case it’ll assume it’s dual-use role as the official training location of the UK bobsleigh team.

And that Trailforks thing up there doesn’t show the super-gnarly stuff in the woods ‘twixt Nationwide and Intel.

**In all seriousness even I, as a hardened anti-trailcentre-er, can quite happily do a few loops of the Croft Trail. It’s a natty piece of work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s even on Trailforks.

Has someone photoshopped in a differnt ride onto that image or is it just an old one? With the gondola running you should easily be doing 2-3x the vertical distance.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I thought the gondola was only being used by ebikes with flat batteries?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s the Gond-E-La

Easy mistake to make, the Gondola is between NatWest and Nationawide, the Gond-E-la is from outside the GUM Clinic, easy way to not get them mixed up, Gond-E-La sounds like Gonorrhea.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I thought I’d spotted some trails in the trees next to the motorway whilst driving back from the South West. Now I know it wasn’t boredom from driving imagining them. I might stop off for a ride one time.

colin9

Brilliant.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Pretty sure “mocking” isn’t the game here

Completely agree DezB it’s not! Have ridden the Croft-shore more than once, enjoyed it each time and like Mister P every time I’m on that part of the M4 I look over and think “must go again”

rickmeister

That’s the Gond-E-La

Careful, best not mix that up with the Gond–A–La behind the Nationwide on Lord Street near the Cavern club, Liverpool..

AdamT

I work for Intel at a different office. Will have to take the gnarpoon down there the next time I visit. Would a week’s visit be too short or is 10 days better? Is it worth getting a guide?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Check the weather before you arrive. Above Force 5 the helilift may not be flying.

senorj

I did a 100km trail break ride a few years ago that used the ACTUAL nationwide car park!
    The route used the Croft trail to get out to the ridgeway and some of it to finish.
    It was a great ride. Beautiful countryside on a dry sunny day.
    It would be hell now though.

CountZero

it’ll assume it’s dual-use role as the official training location of the UK bobsleigh team.

Nah, that’s at Bath University.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Is it worth getting a guide

Love it! 🤗 🤗

Scapegoat

What’s this joke then ..?

Well for a start he’s into Anime and rarely leaves his room, so the opportunity’s wasted.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘PSA – track behind Nationwide Swindon conditions’ is closed to new replies.