Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA – nice bar camera £30
  • DezB
    Free Member

Anyone looking for a bike cam to catch those pesky close passes…
    Took a punt on a Vupoint camera from SportPursuit (pm me for referral code 😀 ) as they were £30 and the battery life on my Polaroid Cube could be better. The Vupoint one is very decent. Nice build quality and has built in connector for iphone/Android (choose when ordering), so you can plug directly into phone and view/delete with the Vupoint app. Cam is about the size of a golf ball.
    Best thing is the mounting – Attach the camera mount to a bar clamp (I have this one ) and the cam just clips in place.
    Takes one long video, rather than chopping into 2 min segments like some do. Sound recording’s not as good as the Cube, but means less wind noise.
    Link – https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=vupoint

Will put up sample vid if anyone interested.
    PSA ends.

malv173
    Free Member

Cheers Dez! I’ve been a bit underwhelmed with the chilli tech cam, so I’ve ordered one of these. Like the way you can plug it in to your phone to view footage.

Superficial
    Free Member

Hmm, interesting. Any comment on low light quality / ability to read number plates?

mcnultycop

Ordered; there’s a 10% discount in the members section on here too.
    Cheers DezB

Conan257
    Free Member

Was tempted by these to supplement MTB recording… Maybe mount one facing rearwards to capture other riders, or for those arty shots of suspension action while riding….

But the reviews for MTB are underwhelming…

Edit: not that I can find any non-youtube reviews just now, so might take a punt!

DezB
    Free Member

They seem to have a smoothing action on the video, good for commuting, maybe not so much for MTBing.

I’ll stick it on my hardtail’s bars and go for a little spin at lunchtime, see how it looks.

Conan257
    Free Member

As someone who lives at least 45 minutes (driving) from the nearest trail, i’m instantly jealous….

franksinatra

Sound recording’s not as good as the Cube, but means less wind noise.

How well will it work though for the permanently furious commuter who is screaming number plates out loud as they film everyone trying to kill them? That certainly seems to be the standard position of some of the you tube videos I have seen. They always look like the health benefits of cycling will be zeroed out by imminent stress induced heart attack.

DezB
    Free Member

As someone who lives at least 45 minutes (driving) from the nearest trail, i’m instantly jealous…

The local stuff is utter shite 😆 and the surface is clay, which meant after a 10 min spin I still had to wash the bike! Nothing to be envious of I can assure you. Unless you have a trail dog, then it’s brilliant cos there’s no-one around 🙂 Unfortunately, I don’t have one anymore 🙁 er, where were we..

will it work though for the permanently furious commuter who is screaming number plates out loud as they film everyone trying to kill them?

You do realise they only post up the bits where they are screaming number plates? That isn’t their whole commute? But yes, I think it would work well for them.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, that took ages.
    2 samples, it definitely does some smoothing of the video, looks a bit weird offroad. Might be able to turn that off with the app, I’ll check
    Here you can see the depth of my “local trails” 😆
    See nettles!
    https://youtu.be/3I4Zyp_8hno

Clears nettles!

Gotta love the forum and it’s magic randomness (ah, it was cos it was private)

geomickb
    Free Member

Is it just me, or is that footage rubbish quality?

DezB
    Free Member

Few things –
    1/ I was showing that the cam isn’t great for offroad. Which it appears not to be. I was recommending as a road/commting cam, which it works perfectly for
    2. As said, it has a smoothing processor, and I think, in shadow, offroad, it can’t process quick enough so loses quality.
    c) Have you selected HD? Youtube doesn’t automatically play in HD
    iv.. Don’t buy one then!

geomickb
    Free Member

Just watched it on my phone and it did look better.

Anyone else care to comment?

Good enough for submitting close passes?

greeny30
    Free Member

What’s with the huge sportpursuit pop up taking up half my phone screen, can’t have a look without becoming a member.

DezB
    Free Member

Good enough for submitting close passes?

Well, yes, I mean, thats why i psa’ed the £30 camera! (Less with STW discount)… Not like its me thats selling them! I’ll upload some road footage for you.

DezB
    Free Member

Checked settings – has a Stabilisation setting 30fps (my samples filmed in that mode)
    Also has a Standard setting 60fps… probably better quality but more jumpyabouty.

Samples didn’t work cos the editing software reduced the quality! Anyway, take a punt or not 😛

Conan257
    Free Member

Few things –
    1/
    c)
    iv

I approve on your paragraph notation. Many thanks!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA – nice bar camera £30’ is closed to new replies.