• This topic has 86 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • PSA: new Luther tomorrow 9pm
  • Kryton57

4 part new series, and Alice is back – whoop!

colournoise

Trailer looks good / intriguing (have always liked the way Luther plays on horror/weird/almost supernatural imagery). Looking forward to it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Can’t wait! It’s New Years Day yeah?

psling
    Free Member

Gotcha

Kryton57

Can’t wait! It’s New Years Day yeah?

Yep, 9:00pm BBC New Years day – clashes with the Inbetweeners reunion on the other side…

P-Jay
    Free Member

clashes with the Inbetweeners reunion on the other side…

I don’t know how good that’s going to be, the promo I read online made it sound like it was a special one-off episode of them 10 years later, but really it’s a chip show with them sat around talking about old times, I’ll stream it down the road – Luther is the only thing on my Radar for tomorrow!

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I enjoyed that – but what programs has her house been used in before (Hermoine Whatserface)

Pook

Cold Feet

Kryton57

Yep not bad. I didn’t realise it was on daily. Spoiler Alert – Alice returns tonight.

I’m still not sure who the faux killer was though?

DezB
    Free Member

Well, I wish I’d watched the Inbetweeners. Luther was pretty crap. Why does Dermott Crowley look like he’s permanently got dog shit up his nostrils? What an annoying face. And the new woman can’t act.

househusband

Struggled to get into Luther last night… but then the final few seconds changed that!

tails
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve not managed to figure out much, too complicated these murder mystery now.

Don’t know which sworded mind comes up with these characters though. Terrifying.

jim25

Normally love watching Luther, but last night’s one didn’t really take me. Just seemed all about rushed.
    Will watch the rest some hopefully it sorts itself out

Kryton57

And the new woman can’t act.

Halliday? She’s supposed to be acting about acting for Luther’s behalf – playing the junior detective and hiding her talent whilst likely about to transcend Luther in a plot switch somewhere.

Double bluff a bit too much for her perhaps…

psling
    Free Member

Isn’t that kind of the point, it’s not Columbo you know!

johndoh
    Free Member

^ Surprised at the above – I really liked how they have thrown in several stories that are seemingly not connected but I think the story arc will start to bring them all together. And I have never really liked Hermoine Whatserface but I thought she played a great character and, dare I say it, a tiny bit sexy.

colournoise

+1. I assume the 4 part arc will become clearer at some point. Guessing that somehow Alice ties it all together?

Enjoyed it even though it was a bit rushed in seeing everything up for the other episodes. Did feel a bit like a last throw of the dice too – ‘how much weird stuff can we throw at one episode /series?’. Felt a bit too Silence Of The Lambs / X-Files at times.

I also assume that at some point Luther and Halliday will switch roles (permanently if Elba is done with the character?).

DezB
    Free Member

Halliday?

No, the ‘actress’ who plays Halliday.

Kryton57

I also assume that at some point Luther and Halliday will switch roles (permanently if Elba is done with the character?).

Its possible, but not. Idris Elba is Luther, without him it needs another name and probably becomes yet another BBC dectective show. Is their room for another Silent Witness without Luther/Elba as the quirky differentiator?

retro83
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it and am slightly puzzled by the posts above tbh, it didn’t seem any different in terms of pacing or having parallel storylines to any of the previous series to me.

anagallis_arvensis

I enjoyed it, although it does seem rushed. Its very Scandi in its look and feel but the pacing is too quick imo. Compared to say The Bridge it just goes a bit too quick. I expect its budget issues.

Pook

I was really annoyed about them stomping all over the sandpit/evidence, but other than that it was quite good i thought.

retro83
    Free Member

Pook

Subscriber
    I was really annoyed about them stomping all over the sandpit/evidence, but other than that it was quite good i thought.

Yes and the continuity error with his tie in the kitchen, but it didn’t really matter. It’s not a serious procedural drama, it’s almost a comic book with over the top characters made into a live action show. Sorta like Batman I suppose, except the Luthermobile probably won’t pass its next MOT without a backhander to the garage.

johndoh
    Free Member

it just goes a bit too quick.

Perhaps they are trying to fit in 6 hours worth of story into the four hours Idris and Ruth can spare these days given they have moved on since the early days?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tie continuity error.

Obvious, let’s call them “homages” to Hannibal Lecter movies – Red Dragon posing in front of the projected images, eyeballs and tongue in the jar. Benjamin Raspail’s head from “Silence…”.

Would anybody really be that stupid to not simply call the cops after seeing a murder and also really find it difficult to avoid being caught by the murderer when they’re both on foot? Banging on the teachers’ door instead of just calling it in and hiding quietly in the dark?

Luther amazingly able to jump his quarry in the maze of containers when the guy is on foot in the narrow bits but he’s in a car charging along the wide bit?

Turning on the tap after he’s switched on the kettle.

The police at HQ claiming the difficulty of pinpointing the suspect in “Hampstead Wood” whilst they’re actually looking at the pinpoint location of his phone whilst listening to him using it.

Suddenly being completely well just after he’s been punched in the ribs hard enough to at least fracture them.

Quite fancy the psychiatrist, though. Maximum quirk, there… 😳😉😜

Pook

Benny also had a video footage of the psychiatrist wandering through the woods while they were struggling to find her

DezB
    Free Member

And that ain’t the half of it Mr W.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hard-bitten gangster who doesn’t know how to fire a growler.

mahalo

its all good fun but i did notice the errors too… not really convinced with the whole Cornelius crew thing, its all a bit too ‘Guy Ritchie’ for me.

also theres a full squad of armed police in the park yet Loofa ends up tracking the fella himself through the woods on his own! no dogs or thermal imagery either…? cant let that stuff spoil the enjoyment tho

psling
    Free Member

Of course, we the viewers already know more than Luther and Halliday so they’ve got a bit of catching up to do tonight’
    Hopefully if they raid an address with a dozen armed police in attendance again Luther and Halliday won’t suddenly appear alone wondering around the house room by room, not an armed cop to be seen…

shinton
    Free Member

Isn’t the house this one that was on Grand Designs – https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jan/03/house-architecure-highgate-cemetery

johndoh
    Free Member

also theres a full squad of armed police in the park

And stomping around like elephants with dyspraxia with gun spots lighting their way when in stealth tracking mode. That was the bit which irked me most.

jimmy

All these things I sat there humphing at – glad it’s not just me.

e.g. takes a proper beating, manages to undo a bolt with fingers, outsmarts half-a-dozen armed gangsters, gets home without so much a bleeding lip.

Luther is nails.

DezB
    Free Member

outsmarts half-a-dozen armed gangsters

Well, be fair, he did have a broken chair that had just completely collapsed under him and then was whole again..

johndoh
    Free Member

^ He fixed it when you weren’t looking. He is Luther after all.

fingerbang
    Free Member

It’s all complete bollox but great fun to watch. What about the henchman not having a gun between them in the chair tazer scene but more guns than Clarence boddicker’s crew when they were sat in balon greyjoys front room looking at a phone?

anagallis_arvensis

Perhaps they are trying to fit in 6 hours worth of story into the four hours Idris and Ruth can spare these days given they have moved on since the early days?

I think this is exactly it, they cost more now.

jim25

Still not convinced!
    Seems really low budget and bad acting from Luther and halliday. As if Luther isn’t really wanting to be there

rOcKeTdOg

I thought he threw his coat in the Thames, then tonight he was wearing it again?

mahalo

we saw his wardrobe in an earlier episode; lots of coats!

thought last nights was great! although i wish id done a refresher viewing of the last series…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘PSA: new Luther tomorrow 9pm’ is closed to new replies.