Home Forums Chat Forum PSA – Montane Extreme (like Buffalo) 50% off

• This topic has 145 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by csb.
Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • PSA – Montane Extreme (like Buffalo) 50% off
  • csb
    Free Member

For a bit of useage feedback, hydrogen in XL here. 5’10 42 inch chest but I’d call myself a chunky lad. Fit perfect for activity needing a lot of movement.

Using it to play tennis with a wicking tee under and it’s perfect for single figure evenings.

northshoreniall

Thanks @ropeyreignrider – sorry meant the Extreme in post but had looked at the other one too. I am considerably shorter but similar weight and large shoulders/ chest.
    Thanks @csb, that’s helpful. think will ask Santa to order an XL hydrogen then.
    Cheers guys,

northshoreniall

Well hydrogen XL and XXL arrived and going back. XL couldn’t even get zip up, XXL can close but is bit tight armpits / front chest so worried if reach too far will pop stitching.
    Any recommendations of similar type jacket fit for someone with stupid large chest and shoulders? I fit XXL in mtn equipment gore coat and xl/ XXL the North face stuff. Really like the hydrogen type jacket, not sure if want down. It’s to wear dog walking and mooching about so nothing too tech I think. Going have look in sales after next week.

longdog
    Free Member

I have the same issue with any smock tops. To easily put them on and off they need to be far too big for when worn. I just avoid smocks now.

supernova

I bought the Alpkit Jura that’s reduced at the moment as an alternative after the Hydrogen didn’t fit and it’s now my (current) favourite jacket. Very cosy, and able to dump heat quickly with side zips etc.

northshoreniall

Cheers @supernova – nice looking bit of kit, may try one on when get back to Newcastle, though I find smocks give me neck ache, cut seems to not work with my stupid shoulders.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Was wondering how people were getting on with their Montane Hydrogen Direct jackets (those that went that route rather than the Extreme jacket in the original PSA)?

I’m coming round to thinking the Extreme is a bit warm for me as I tend to run hot. Didn’t go for the Hydrogen at the time as already have a Marmot Alpha 60 jacket, & thought the Hydrogen would be too similar. However I’ve since learned the Hydrogen has double the Alpha Direct insulation at 120g vs the 60g in my Marmot. It could be my goldilocks jacket between my lightweight Marmot and the more full-on Extreme….

How are people finding the Hydrogen in the current ‘just below zero’ temps? And what about breathability? Was originally a little put off that the Sportshoes version wasn’t made with the Pertex Quantum Air outer, but probably less of an issue for me as won’t be doing strenuous mountain sports in it!

csb
    Free Member

See my post above.

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s perfect Montane Extreme weather for those people who bought them last year! Another season of being snuggly warm in mine

iainc

^^^^ yep, had mine on for the first time this winter for a dog walk the other night 👌

luv2ride
    Free Member

Yep, same here. Its way too hot for me when above freezing though, but great in the current temps. Mine’s in a rather shouty “Mountain Rescue red” as I procrastinated over the PSA and the more subdued colours had all sold out, but a great buy nonetheless…

frogstomp

Likewise, loving my Hydrogen jacket at the moment.. great for chilly walks with just a t-shirt underneath.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Same here, used for the first time this winter this week. Great for when it’s cold & damp too

Also bought the hydrogen direct jacket as well which I’ve lived in this year when it’s been cool. Regret not buying a second one and none left other than a hoping teal colour. Wonder why they stopped making them. If anyone wants to sell a 2xl one, let me know

roverpig

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I keep meaning to come on here and post some longer term thoughts on this but I don’t have the patience to deal with the search function :)

I bought one after the PSA (thanks OP) originally as something to slip on after a ride to warm up. In fact it has been my go to winter coat, replacing a succession of very expensive, quite warm but rather fragile down jackets. It’s my first pertex and pile jacket. I’d heard people rave about buffalo shirts but always ignored it. Now I’m a total convert. It seems to work by having an almost totally windproof outer that traps air in the pile lining. Up here (NE Scotland) it does tend to be the wind that gets you, so this actually works better than the baffled down jackets. Plus it still keeps you warm when it’s wet and when it gets grubby I can just chuck it in the washing machine.

Don’t get me wrong, if you care about packed weight or size you still can’t beat down. But for day-to-day wear this pertex and pile design suits me much better.

It’s not waterproof in a strict sense and wouldn’t be a good choice for standing around all day in the rain. But if you are going to remain active then it works fine. I’m just back from walking the dogs for an hour in the rain and it was fine for that. I’ve also hiked all day in grotty Scottish mountain weather with just a base layer underneath.

luv2ride
    Free Member

^not conviced the PSA version sold by Sportshoes were actually a Pertex shell though, (a more generic nylon outer, with “special” on the sale tag) but still…great sub zero coat. I do kick myself for not picking up the Polartec Alpha Hydrogen at the time too, as the Alpha stuff does seem to work well for me. Did pick up a Columbia non-hooded version with a deeper pile Alpha lining in a TKMaxx sale of all places for less than £50, so all good!

avdave2

I love mine which I’ve had for a good few years and would really like a longer version of it for the more standing around, general use.

Mounty_73

I have ordered quite a few items from this site, nothing has turned up so far, just unlucky with the shit delivery company!!

Superficial
    Free Member

Like others I wore mine for the first time this winter. I’m quite impressed with it – at least for now the DWR is great and it’s lovely and warm.

Mugboo

Mines back out now its cold and its as lovely and toasty as I remember, still slightly too big though!

Postage wise, I’ve ordered plenty from Sportshoes and had no problems.

mudfish

Hmm. Why did this pop up today. Sale over. Saved me a few quid! Love my Buffalo Soecisl 6 shirt. 35 years on it’s still fab – for post ride warmup and bike wash duties. FAR too hot to ride in.
    Pertex – pile for the win.

MadBillMcMad

I’ve always wanted but never got as far as buying a buffalo 6.

Surprised the extreme does not have side vents. Does that not make the buffalo or maybe the alpkit a better buy (if the alpkit has side vents)

roverpig

I’ve got a paramo velez smock with side zips and I pretty much never use them. We are all different though and some people might find the lack of side (or pit) zips on the Montane an issue. It’s a jacket though rather than a smock you you can just undo it.

Good point above about the shell material. Not sure if it really is pertex. There is no pertex branding. But then, to be honest, I don’t know what makes pertex different to any other nylon shell. The one on the Montane is hard wearing and very wind resistant.

spacemonkey

Got the missus a Montane Ground Control Jacket (from the original PSA) and the zip has already broken after being worn maybe 20 times. The zip on my Extreme (bought at the same time) has been clunky for a few weeks too, and that’s not been warn much more. Jackets very nice, but shit zips. Warranty claim started.

BadlyWiredDog

Good point above about the shell material. Not sure if it really is pertex. There is no pertex branding. But then, to be honest, I don’t know what makes pertex different to any other nylon shell. The one on the Montane is hard wearing and very wind resistant.

It is Pertex – originally based on parachute fabric, very closely woven, calendared fabric. I guess the advantage for a brand over a lesser known fabric is that they know exactly what they’re getting and for some buyers the Pertex name has cachet.

The zip on the Ground Control is a YKK Vislon I think, there are millions of the things out there and they have a pretty reputation tbf,

Montane Extreme Jacket

Construction

PERTEX® QUANTUM outer
    DRYACTIV 3000 deep pile lining
    POLARDRI® Mini-Rip elbow reinforcements

alpineharry
    Free Member

I’m selling one of these in a size large if anyone’s interested – £70 incl post.

csb
    Free Member

Just got a Montane Extreme Special (albeit in a weird purple colour but I like weird) from TKChav for 58 quid. Bargainous. My god it is warm.

Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.