• This topic has 145 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by csb.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • PSA – Montane Extreme (like Buffalo) 50% off
  • benp1

@dorset_knob, I have a black special 6 in size 42 if you’re interested? It’s too big for me, I have a 40 instead now

csb

Sizing on the hydrogen jacket seems on the small size. I have Montane stuff in L that is perfect, but fortuitously got XL this time and wouldn’t want any smaller.

saxabar
    Free Member

I succumbed too: the medium ‘Extreme’ is mahoosive though. Will be returned for a small.

bob_summers

^ ^ this. I am M in almost everything but the M Extreme won’t work on me as intended. Too baggy.
    I kept it in the end as it’s still incredibly warm for standing around in, but might be tempted to order an S.

jeffl

Got mine today. Being 6’5″ I ordered an XL but as per the above comments comes up pretty big. It’s not often that the arms of clothes are too long.

I’ll probably keep it and wear a thin fleece underneath as I’m too lazy to return it and order a L.

Other than that I really like it. Wore it on the dog walk this evening with only a t-shirt underneath. Was toasty warm and it was was allegedly 3°C

RustyNissanPrairie

I did say – I’m Xl in usual Montane stuff but large in the Extreme.

ElShalimo

Oops my XL arrived today and it’s too big.

I’ve got a lot of Montane kit all size XL and it fits fine 🤦

mrchrist

Wore mine today. Loved it.

Usually a M but ordered a S. Gold fit when standing but slightly baggy when riding. Guess it is not designed for cycling.

nickewen
    Free Member

Mine arrived today.. Aye, they’re farkin massive. I’m 6ft pushing 16 clem and the Large looks like I’m a child wearing my dads coat.. the arms are a good half a foot too long. Annoyingly it fits well across the chest so I’m worried the Medium will be too tight but it’s a lovey jacket so will probably return for a medium and hope that’s a better fit

plus-one

I’m a small in all my other jackets so ordered a small in this. Fits well(on roomy side)with room for layer or two underneath 🙂

sofaboy73
    Free Member

my XL turned up yesterday and impressed with it. Montane’s stuff tends to be on the smaller side of sizing so always had to go for an XL when other brands a large would fit. this appears to be a fairly true to size XL so maybe that’s why people are finding them too big? luckily i’m probably bordering XXL in normal montane these days! it’s also montane’s ‘classic mountain’ which is meant to be roomier compared to their active cut which much of their stuff is. i think montane design this a ice climbing / mountaineering belay type jacket – ie roomy to whack over other layers and longer arms and skirts to maintain coverage when when contorting yourself into uncomfortable positions.

impressed with how well made and thought out it is. a step up form the simplicity of the buffalo, whether that’s a good thing or not time will tell. looks like it will last a life time. my only criticism would be the waist cinch cord runs more along your belt line and could do with being a little higher to help heat retention

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Got mine today. Being 6’5″ I ordered an XL but as per the above comments comes up pretty big.

Is that the extreme?

Also; those that have bought recently – is the extreme too warm to just wear to the shops etc? I’ve read mixed things about it..

Ta

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m 6’2” and 3/4 and 14.5 to 15.5 st (subject to curry intake).

I’m wondering what size oxygen I would need? XL seems sensible but the sizing issues are confusing me…

Also, extreme too er extreme for sprog walking / school run etc?

surfer
    Free Member

I have absolutely no need for any more jackets…. so obvs bought 2

jimmy

is the extreme too warm to just wear to the shops etc?

lolz. Depends how hard you’re shopping.

plus-one

Just had mine on walking dogs for an hour. Only t-shirt underneath my dogs are sniffers so mostly standing about/slow walking. Temps here are 4 feeling -1 with wind. Felt comfortably warm 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

lolz. Depends how hard you’re shopping.

I mean, I really do want to wear something up a mountain occasionally but have to acknowledge that most of it’s use will be taking sprogs to school, trips to the shop, walks etc

Has anyone found their extreme too hot for normal use?

luv2ride
    Free Member

I’ve had the Extreme in my basket off and on since seeing the PSA. However, I’ve decided it’s likely too warm for me for any kind of activity as I’m a sweater, and I don’t tend to stand outside doing nowt. Couple of thin layers under my Marmot Polartec Alpha jacket when walking the dog this morning convinced me I don’t need a mega warm jacket to be worn over a tshirt. Looks a great deal though 😉

big_scot_nanny

Sounds perfect for Cubs evenings. Ordered. Bastards.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Ordered the female medium version for my youngest daughter and it came today.
    Sizing is perfect for a 5 foot 8 slightly built 16 year old.
    Thanks for the PSA OP!

BadlyWiredDog

i think montane design this a ice climbing / mountaineering belay type jacket – ie roomy to whack over other layers and longer arms and skirts to maintain coverage when when contorting yourself into uncomfortable positions.

Really not because if it were a belay jacket you’d be carrying it around in your pack and, in all honesty, there are far better solutions for this. What’s it’s designed for is relatively low tempo activity in very cold, damp conditions, eg: Scottish winter. It’s also carefully targeted at folk who have a curious nostalgic longing to be transported back in time to the 1980s when climbers would blunder back into bunkhouses at midnight after spending 36 hours strugging up some moderate Scottish route in horrendous conditions and spebd hours explaining that without their Buffalo smock/salopette combo they’d assuredly be dead. Anyway, it’s good for what it is. Tends to be poor for mobility generally. And if you want something that does the same job in a more effective, 21st Century way, Polartec Alpha is the way to go. Not as warm, but much lighter, better for active use and not designed like a sack with a zip up the front 😉

jeffl

@RopeyReignRider

It’s the extreme. I’m a bit tubby at the moment at 15 stone but I’d imagine the large would be a better fit. But as I say I’ll just bung a thin fleece on underneath and use it in the extreme cold. Too lazy to return it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

@jeffl

Thanks, I’m about the same weight ish , but a bit shorter so have ordered the extreme in Large.

We shall see tomorrow…

househusband

6’2″ and 16st… XL just arrived and it’ll be going back as it is indeed massive, I’m an impatient bugger so I’ll just order a Large and return it.

@RopeyReignRider
    Hope this helps.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’m also in the don’t need one but ordered one anyway camp. Ordered yesterday and delivered today.

I’ve got an older Extreme Smock, this is slightly different (obviously excluding the big zip up the middle). Old one has a zip on hood, new one is Velcro, old hood face flaps popper back/open, this one doesn’t. Older one has Pertex branding on it, this doesn’t and the shell is pretty crinkly. The label says it’s a “special”. Nothing huge, but little differences that might explain why they’re cheaper. Wonder if they’re a batch for Mountain Rescue or a similar group?

It was about £80 with a discount code so no complaints. I really like them, wouldn’t want to carry one round as an active layer or a belay jacket. But for cold outdoor stuff where you put it on, don’t take it off and don’t have to worry about nursing an ultralight jacket they’re hard to beat.

supernova

Ordered the Hydrogen version.

No more useful PSA’s till after Xmas please!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

My Hydrogen has arrived… and it’s too small. If anyone wants a Large Hydrogen in grey and wants to save the postage cost, let me know before I send it back on Monday.

csb

My Hydrogen has arrived… and it’s too small.

So glad you’ve said this. I thought i was alone in thinking the sizing is smaller than I’d expect.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

So glad you’ve said this. I thought i was alone in thinking the sizing is smaller than I’d expect.

No, I’ve got several montane items and this is a size smaller than everything else.

csb

Either that or we’ve both put a bit of timber on 😀

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Re sizing – I’m 6’2” and 3/4 , 15st 5, 46” chest and my Large extreme arrived… the large is definitely big enough but a slightly strange shape (snug on my back, arms perfect but the jacket is quite long). The XL would have been mahoosive.

It’s a heavy jacket and doesn’t pack down very small but looks pretty decent although it does make me look like I’m wearing a duvet (not the curries or owt)

I’ve yet to test it outside the living room…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Sooo….. Oxygen owners, how warm are they?

The extreme is super chunky and I’m now wondering whether I’d ever wear in anything apart from freezing conditions and it’s so warm.

Is the oxygen still fairly well insulated?

And the sizing is on the small side?

bob_summers

The Extreme is too warm for most stuff. I’m near the Pyrenees and it’s great for making a morning brew outside the tent or van in December but for actually going up the hills I prefer layers (because I’m running) or if it’s really bad weather the 90s Buffalo Mountain Shirt gets an outing as it’s lighter and the sides unzip.

csb

Oxygen owners, how warm are they?

Do you mean the hydrogen one? I can’t imagine needing anything warmer for any kind of activity short of skiing in really cold conditions. Too warm for running or cycling above freezing.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Sorry yes, the Hydrogen.

Is it now discontinued, I can’t see it on the montane site?

I think I’m going to have to return the Extreme as I can’t justify two jackets and it seems like it’s going to be too much for 80% of the time…

😐

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Personally, I went for the Prism. Seems more practical

matt_outandabout

Has anyone found their extreme too hot for normal use?

The name “Extreme” give us a clue.

I missed the Montane while my son faffed over colour choice, so there’s an Alpkit Morphosis on the way for cold paper rounds and days out.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

The name “Extreme” gives us a clue”

Ha, yes indeed…. I thought it might be marketing “eXtreme”

benp1

Wore my buffalo smock for the first time since last winter, yesterday. Combo of being reminded by this thread and it being cold enough. What a cracking top. Hand warmer pocket really is ace

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Got my Montane extreme this morning
    Thanks for the PSA. I sized down for a close fit. Seems very warm. Perfect for standing around waiting for the old dog to catch up and the spaniel to finish sniffing every inch of ground in a 2 mile radius.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.