Home Forums Chat Forum PSA – Montane Extreme (like Buffalo) 50% off

• This topic has 145 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by csb.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • PSA – Montane Extreme (like Buffalo) 50% off
  • singlespeedstu

Hydrogen just turned up.
    Already have a Large Prism so ordered a Large Hydrogen.
    Very slightly tighter which it needs to be to work but still a good fit.
    Thanks OP for posting this up.
    I also wore my Buffalo yesterday, toasty warm walking back from the brewery.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve lived in my Extreme these last few days – when you have a dog from Finland that loves being out in Storm Arwen is when the Extreme works best. Nothing underneath and nice and snuggly warm with a little bit of venting when wading through waist deep drifts.

supernova

XL Hydrogen turned up today – too small around the back and shoulders, but fits around my not slim belly. Sending it back and trying the Decathlon version.

Also, I want a dog from Finland!

Bunnyhop

Thanks OP.
    My Christmas present from hubby arrived and it’s great.

spacemonkey

Ta for the PSA.

Ground Control ordered for the missus (via LD as they were £40 cheaper) and an Extreme for me. Not sure I really need the latter, but I do seem to have N+1 of lots of outdoor kit these days.

bearnecessities

Received my Hydrogen.

I hate it. I look like an immersion heater.

Lesson 1: Don’t get dragged into hype and properly understand what you’re buying.

Lesson 2: I will do this again.

surfer
    Free Member

Sending mine back. Excellent quality but the colour is a bit too much for me but mainly the Pertex outer is a bit noisy… Bit like the early Alpkit Filo’s. Absolutely worth 80ish quid and a real bargain but just not for me.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So …. Extreme ordered and was like wearing a sleeping bag. It’s ridiculously warm but I’m not sure I can justify keeping it when it’d be used so little.
    FYI size Large fitted fine

Hydrogen direct turned up but was black not Navy as ordered. That combined with the glossy coating gave it an expensive bin bag look. The fit was great though (size XL) so I’m awaiting the slightly less bin linery Navy to turn up.. I hope it looks ok because it feels like a great jacket.

I suppose most down jackets are quite shiny too?

Vortexracing

Just tried my Extreme on and its mmaaassiiivvveee!!!

more like a medium than a small :-(

Not sure I like the finish as others have said its a bit noisy.

Think its going back unless somebody on here is interested, its the red one BTW.

I got 10% off thanks to having a student in the family ;-)

spacemonkey

Hmm, my red M Extreme has gone missing in transit. Might not be a bad thing if it’s as in yer face as some of you peeps think. A matt finish I can handle, anything too glossy I think not.

Superficial
    Free Member

I think I’m going to send mine back. It’s heavier / thicker than I was expecting. No bad thing I suppose but too much for me I think. Feels good quality, though.

If anyone needs a M in Turqoise, PM me.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Loving mine so far. I’m slim, 6ft 2 and bought the medium – ideally it’d be a bit slimmer round the middle but sleeves are a good length and it’s long enough keep my derriere warm. Lovely, warm jacket though – even when stood still for a couple of hours. Really pleased with it.

I also have an Icarus (m) and a Prism (l) – the medium Extreme is sized like my large Prism.

RustyNissanPrairie

Dont know if the Pertex has changed – I bought mine at full price last year in the olive green, its silent non rustle matt finish pertex. I presumed the ones in the PSA were the same.

For the peeps who are finding them too warm – make sure you are wearing nothing underneath them and use the zips to ventilate. They will be too warm at the moment but were perfect for Storm Arwen.

My Hydrogen is a deep green colour, its slightly shinier than the Extreme but not full on bin bag.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Ok, I succumbed too…Red Extreme arrived today, in small and medium. I’ve an old Prism in small, and the small Extreme seems OK to me. Fits fairly snug but think that’s the point given the lack of layers that are supposed to be worn with it, but not too tight. Wouldn’t describe the outer as particularly shiny either, a bit crinkly but certainly not a deal breaker (for me). Wouldn’t normally go for red either but I reckon it looks fine.

Will send the medium back, and try to work out out whether the Extreme is really too niche for me. Shame its so mild out!!

matt_outandabout

I missed the Montane offer – so ordered an Alpkit Morphosis, expecting it to be like mrs_oab’s Montane Hydrogen.

It really is thin and not much insulation at all. Not what we were after at all.

I may have found the replacement for my Montane Krypton though. 😁

BadlyWiredDog

I missed the Montane offer – so ordered an Alpkit Morphosis, expecting it to be like mrs_oab’s Montane Hydrogen.

I’d say the Morphosis is more like budget VR Lite or whatever Rab is calling it these days, but with zoned areas which aren’t lined. As far as I can gather, the Hydrogen uses a relatively heavy weight version of Polartec Alpha? The closest I’ve seen to that is an old model Outdoor Research jacket called the Alpenice, same weight insulation but zoned and with waterproof shoulders / forearms I think. Really niche, really expensive, no longer made. Or a Rab Alpha Direct, again no longer made, but a really good jacket that’s sort of a modern take on pile / Pertex.

Poor old Montane, sounds like about 80 per-cent of the Extremes they’ve sold here are being sent back :-(

winston
    Free Member

Does anyone know how the super terra pants size?   I’m 33 waist and was going for a large but if everything is mashoosive then medium perhaps?

There are about 10 pages of reviews on the montane site and none of them mention sizing!!!!!

BadlyWiredDog

Does anyone know how the super terra pants size? I’m 33 waist and was going for a large but if everything is mashoosive then medium perhaps?

I’ve always found Montane legwear true to size. I’m a 32″ waist and the medium generally fits me well, though I’ve never used the Super Terras. The Montane fit charts sits you between medium and large, so I guess it’s going to depend on where you fall between 32 and 34 – ie: are you really 33″ or more a sort of ‘slim 34″ and whether you like your trousers on the snug or loose side. Sorry, I know that’s a bit useless, but short of trying them on, it’s hard to know. But medium Montane has always fitted me.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Does anyone know how the super terra pants size?

as above, pretty true to size. i’m an XL in there trousers which according to their chart is a 36″ waist which is what i take in everything else. they’re snug but not obscenely tight on the thighs or arse and i prefer my winter trousers a bit snugger

househusband

The large Montane Extreme arrived yesterday and I’ve already received a refund for the XL that I returned to SportsShoes only on Monday – efficient returns dept.

Perfect size and kept me fine and dandy when I buried our seventeen year old cat this evening in a windy, damp and near zero back garden!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My Medium Prism showed up today.
    Seems like a good jacket, lightweight and small packsize, similar to my down jacket. No weird fabrics, though fit isn’t quite as snug as I’d like at 5′ 11″, 80kg, might have got away with a small.

Will go for a 5am walk round the loch tomorrow to test the insulation, forecast is 0c

csb
    Free Member

Sorry about the cat @househusband but a fine innings.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

For the peeps who are finding them too warm – make sure you are wearing nothing underneath them and use the zips to ventilate.

I sometimes wonder if you are just saying this to see how gullible people are for the old Buffalo mantra

Perfect size and kept me fine and dandy when I buried our seventeen year old cat this evening in a windy, damp and near zero back garden!

T-shirt on for this or off?

househusband

@csb Thanks, and he had indeed!

@big_n_daft
    It was as soon as I got home after work and before the ground started to freeze so had a long sleeve brushed cotton shirt on.

RustyNissanPrairie

I sometimes wonder if you are just saying this to see how gullible people are for the old Buffalo mantra

🤷🏼‍♂️ it’s Buffalo’s blurb and it works best for me and my Extreme (as worn again this morning without any under layers)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Went for a stroll round the loch in my Prism at 5 this morning. Was ~0c outside (no clouds/this time of year/central Scotland etc). Was comfortable just wearing a t-shirt underneath.

Saw a shooting star too which was pleasant.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

This also might be a good shout for folk looking for a warm jacket: https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-dte-men-s-hybrid-jacket-varcl002 – synthetic insulation and £40

roverpig

Thanks for the PSA. I’m another who doesn’t really need another jacket, but can’t resist a bargain. After a fair bit of swithering my Extreme arrived yesterday. At 6′ and 12 and a half stone I usually go for a large jacket, but went for a medium here. It’s plenty long enough in the sleeves and body, but quite snug, which I guess is the idea.

I’ve been wearing it with a t-shirt and fleece hoody underneath and it’s fine like that. I know some people are saying it’s too warm, but I guess we are all different and I rarely get too warm. Aberdeenshire is not known for its tropical weather either to be fair.

I went for the red which is nice and cheerful without being overpowering in my opinion, but then I do like bright colours.

The shell is thicker than some other pertex stuff I’ve had, but again I think that’s the point. The warmth comes from the fact that it is extremely waterproof. That and the excellent hood.

I bought it as a jacket to put on after a ride to warm up, but can see it being used for a lot more than that. Hiking, dog walks and just as a general warm jacket. Overall I’m pretty happy with it although mine only has a glove loop on one sleeve for some reason. Can’t see me ever using it though.

plus-one

I’m selling my size small montane Extreme(just too big :( )

Only worn it twice it’s as new. I’ll list it on classifieds once glitch sorted !!

It’s blue one £75 posted Uk

jeffl

Had mine for a couple of weeks. Great for walking the dog in the recent crappy weather. Water seems to bead off it pretty well.

frogstomp

Hmm, must resist..

For anyone else wavering use code EAA10 for an extra 10% off and Quidco for 5%+ cashback.

roverpig

I’ve used my extreme in all weathers and it seems to live up to the name.

spacemonkey

My Extreme (and other SS items) finally arrived on Fri after going walkabout in a Hermes depot for 9 days.

I was expected the red to be pretty garish, but TBH is’s a soft matt finish and not at all in yer face. Fit is M which I’d say is close to spot on for someone who often takes a L.

Haven’t worn it in anger yet.

FTR my missus’ Ground Control turned up earlier in the week and she seems very chuffed with the extra face protection offered by the hood. It’s also very light and packable.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So I eventually got my hydrogen direct in a blue (Antarctic blue) and it’s a lot less bin linery than the black one. It’s still a little shiny but no more than most down jackets.

FYI the “navy” colour with blue piping is actually black. I returned mine and was sent another black one , and then was told they don’t sell them in black.
    The label even says black.. anyway listing error apparently.

So, the navy one is black and looks like a bin liner
    The Antarctic blue actually is blue and is less bin linery.
    The jacket is pretty warm, can’t imagine I’d need much more ever really, fits well, very windproof and pretty shower proof

jkomo

I’m thinking I have a gap in my jacket collection that needs ones of these jackets to fill it, but if you wear it next to the skin, doesn’t it need washing really often? Then what happens to the waterproofing?

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m thinking I have a gap in my jacket collection that needs ones of these jackets to fill it, but if you wear it next to the skin, doesn’t it need washing really often? Then what happens to the waterproofing?

they get a bit stinky after awhile – but nowhere near as bad as a smelly Helly baselayer. They launder well.

It doesn’t matter about the DWR waterproofing – they are still warm and snuggly even when absolutely drenched through.

StirlingCrispin

FWIW: I always wear a thin merino t-shirt under my Buffalo.
    Then wash it only when it’s really minging.

They aren’t meant to smell nice and Halo does the job OK.

sparksmcguff

Cheers to the op. I got the Icarus in orange. Nice an warm. Good fit. I’m a big fan of montane – my first bit of Montane kit is now nearly 14 years old!

northshoreniall

How are these on chest/ back? I have 49″chest so lot of jackets feel will pop across back. Thinking of one for dog wanders and toddler wrangling so nothing too intense. I’m XL or XXL in most other jackets, wondering if have go that big in this will I get the benefit of close fit? Also arms not the longest so from some description above will thry be too long?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

How are these on chest/ back?

The extreme or Hydrogen Direct?

I’m 6’2” and 3/4 , 15.5 stone and have a 46” chest.

The Large Extreme was a good fit but wouldn’t want anything smaller across the back.

The Hydrogen Direct is a fantastic fit but in XL.

The extreme doesn’t pack down at all but the Hydrogen can be rolled up easily. I tried the extreme and decided I wouldn’t wear it enough – super warm and great for standing around in the snow but too much for any other time (for me).

The hydrogen seems more than warm enough (almost too warm)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.