Home Forums Chat Forum PSA – Montane Extreme (like Buffalo) 50% off

• This topic has 145 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by csb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • PSA – Montane Extreme (like Buffalo) 50% off
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Montane’s pile and pertex version of a Buffalo but in jacket form with hood included.
    I bought one at full price last year and it’s an awesome jacket – very warm!
    Size down though as you wear them closer and ideally with nothing underneath or a thin base layer.
    50% off at Sportshoes.com

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon2611/montane-extreme-jacket/#sku-mon2611

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon2651/montane-extreme-jacket/#sku-mon2651

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon2610/montane-extreme-jacket/#sku-mon2610

el_boufador

I do not need a new jacket

Great PSA though. Was thinking about getting one of these earlier in the year, but the above applies

RustyNissanPrairie

Seriously good jackets. I have an Extreme and a Montane Hydrogen which is the lighter pile and pertex version – also on 50% off at Sportshoe. I’ve sold most of my other jackets as these two cover 99% of conditions.

CountZero

As the owner of a Buffalo Special 6, that doesn’t work for me at all. I really like having a chest pocket along with a full-width hand-warmer pocket. Having worn mine through two winters, pretty much continuously from December to March, the only reason I won’t be wearing it for work now is that we’ve been issued decent breathable hi-viz jackets that I can layer easily underneath.
    It hasn’t been cold enough to start wearing the Buffalo yet, though.

matt_outandabout

Montane Hydrogen

Mrs_oab lives in hers. It’s meant the Montane down puffa jacket never gets worn now. The hydrogen is much more breathable, a wider range of temperatures and doesn’t feel clammy.

Spin
    Free Member

Great kit for sitting or standing around in in cold damp conditions.

househusband

That’s what I thought until I saw this post… just bought one; it was my 51st last month and I’d been struggling for something to buy and say it was from my wife – that struggle is now over!

Thanks for the PSA @RustyNissanPrairie

sandboy

Couldn’t resist, my old Rab is showing it’s age! great PSA, thanks OP.

RustyNissanPrairie

Montane Hydrogen
    Mrs_oab lives in hers. It’s meant the Montane down puffa jacket never gets worn now. The hydrogen is much more breathable, a wider range of temperatures and doesn’t feel clammy

Women’s
    https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon2637/montane-hydrogen-direct-women%27s-jacket/#sku-mon2637

Mens
    https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon2616/montane-hydrogen-direct-jacket/#sku-mon2616

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon2614/montane-hydrogen-direct-jacket/#sku-mon2614

These don’t feel as ‘good value’ as they are thinner/lighter than the Extreme but they work for more weather conditions as the Extreme is a really warm jacket. The sizing on the Hydrogen is a little smaller than the Extreme – I wear a XL in the Hydrogen in line with other Montane stuff and a large in the Extreme.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

How do these size up? Looking for a jacket which will predominantly be used hanging around at kids football etc through the winter. Therefore will be wearing a normal top underneath rather than a base layer – is there enough space or should I size up? I’m a medium in most tops – skinny chest/long torso/chimp arms.

RustyNissanPrairie

How do these size up? Looking for a jacket which will predominantly be used hanging around at kids football etc through the winter. Therefore will be wearing a normal top underneath rather than a base layer – is there enough space or should I size up? I’m a medium in most tops – skinny chest/long torso/chimp arms.

Not really how these jackets work – they need body heat to drive moisture out with capillary action so ideally are worn with nothing underneath. If you are stood still then they are not as warm as a down/puffa jacket. They are only water resistant and not like a membrane/goretex jacket – they do get wet but stay warm.

From what I googled before I bought mine last year pile and pertex is Marmite but for me it works far better than membrane/Goretex as they don’t need the faff of constant TX treatment to maintain the DWR.

stevious

I’d buy one but my current one that I bought in 2005 is still awesome.

It’s now my ‘getting around at toddler pace’ jacket for cold conditions.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers RNP.

ElShalimo

Thanks RNP. After some really windy and cold days out on the fells recently, I decided to buy one soon anyway. This is just very good timing for me.

I used to have the Extreme smock but sold it to someone on here many years ago as I lost weight. Sadly I’ve put that weight back on now. My excuse is Montane XL used to be 45″ chest but now it’s a svelte 44″..😎

jeffl

Didn’t need one but bought as an early Christmas present for myself. Thanks for the PSA.

RustyNissanPrairie

I used to have the Extreme smock

I bought the jacket after Googling it to death as it vents more than the smock – you can have the zipper fully open but close the jacket on the velcro tabs to let air in/heat out and also the 2main pockets are mesh lined ‘temperature regulators’. It’s also apparently easier to put on than the smock if you get the correct snug size.

plus-one

I’m a jacket whore :) Blue extreme for me !! Cheers

mrchrist

Thanks. Been thinking about one of these for a while.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

@shortbread- fanylion,
    I bought one several years ago, and i have chimp arms too, but am built a bit stockier than you describe. I had to send it back because ,from memory, it was plenty long enough in the arms but the body portion was way too tight around the chest and back, I couldnt make my hands touch in front of me without feeling that I was gonna pop the back seams, if that makes any sense to you.
    This is the extreme smock version Im talking about, I dont know if the fit is similar in the jacket version, sorry.
    My buffalo fits just fine though as you have plenty of adjustment built in to the design.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

damn you OP, you’re just feeding my habit, like a jacket dealer! green XL extreme on the way

for my self justification i’ve been thinking of replacing my buffalo special 6 for a while to the jacket version for better venting – never liked the short neck zip and event with side zips open i’d overheat doing anything other than a walking the dog.

at that price i can probably sell on my special 6 and end up pretty cost neutral on the new jacket!

i have however just been informed by sofagirl that we are having a jacket rationalisation / amnesty this evening and some have to go!

doris5000
    Free Member

Some good deals on that site- thanks RNP! That might be my Xmas present sorted…

benp1

Montane Prism also half price if anyone needs a warmish layer

avdave2

How do these size up? Looking for a jacket which will predominantly be used hanging around at kids football etc through the winter.

It’s what I bought one for years ago when they were reduced. I’m usually a small in anything but I went with a medium because I found when I bought my Montane Featherlite jacket that a small was much too tight across my shoulders.

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

Not really how these jackets work – they need body heat to drive moisture out with capillary action so ideally are worn with nothing underneath

I can’t get my head around this as it goes against how I have worn jackets my entire life! So you are bare chested under the jacket? So when you go inside and leave your jacket at the door..?

w00dster

I’ve had mine for about 2 years. Can’t help with size, mine is a small and I’m a small chap.
    I wear
    Mine with a long sleeve base layer for cold wet days walking the dogs. Also never wore them topless underneath….nor my Buffalo and I’ve been wearing them for over a decade.

RustyNissanPrairie

“”””””I can’t get my head around this as it goes against how I have worn jackets my entire life! So you are bare chested under the jacket? So when you go inside and leave your jacket at the door..?””””””

Yep – dump tshirt at door put Extreme jacket on. It works in a wider temperature range than if you wear a base layer as it allows quicker dumping of heat. You also dont get any feeling of being wet if its seriously hammering it down as there’s no base layer stuck to you – its the pile directly against your skin working to pull moisture away by capillary action.

I will however generally wear the Hydrogen with a base layer just because its not as thick/warm as the extreme.
    If you read the small print of Buffalo its how they recommend them worn.

I googled this subject to death as I was sick of membranes not working but couldn’t get my head round not wearing anything underneath Buffalo/Montane/Pile&Pertex

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/gear/wearing_buffalo-180754

iainc

I have had one for close to 2 years, great for gentle activity, dog walking, family stroll on a cold wintery day. I wear it with a regular top of some form under it – I think my family would be a bit horrified if i took my jacket off in pub/cafe/wherever and was bare chested beneath it !

I guess for proper ‘extreme’ use then the buff approach is efficient but for normal life…

sofaboy73
    Free Member

for day to day, mooching around, standing about in the cold and damp usage, buffalos (and i assume the montane extreme, as it’s effectively the same thing) work fine with a layer / layers underneath – so no fear of exposing yourself in the pub (at least not because of your jacket choice). it’s only when you’re doing higher intensity activity causing you to sweat (which you will in a buffalo) that your apparently not meant to wear anything underneath as it interferes the wicking of sweat away from your body. when i have used my buffalo in these situations (sub zero winter hikes) i’ve tried it both without and with a decent wicking based layer and couldn’t really notice much difference, other than with a base layer it kept bit of the initial wind-chill off the soft flabby bits when using the side vents

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Brynjie style base layers work, but no good for the pub

Mounty_73

Bloody hell, I have got to stop looking at threads about jackets!!

I seem to have an obsession with jackets, anyone else? lol

plus-one

Yup I’ve got more jackets than the wife !!!

mrchrist

Me too!!!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I seem to have an obsession with jackets, anyone else?

when it comes to jackets I strongly adhere to the old forces adage ‘one is none, two is one’. But then again I’m pretty sure I’m the Goldilocks of upper body-ware which results in multiples of similar function jackets in different ‘weights’

Superficial
    Free Member

Nor did I… Still, I’ve ordered one. Cheers for the PSA.

I strongly adhere to the old forces adage ‘one is none, two is one’.

That’s merely another way of saying N+1 :)

csb
    Free Member

I seem to have an obsession with jackets, anyone else? lol

I too succumbed to this psa. It’s diabolical isn’t it – so many jackets for every eventuality. Wife stole my Buffalo hence why this was justified.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I have a Buffalo Special-6 for sale, worn twice, washed once, size 44, black.

Reason for sale: I needed a size 42 (with size 46 arms apparently).

jimmy

I berate my missus for having so (too) many jackets. I’m not playing.

(Unless someone buys my coat in the classifieds).

dyna-ti

“I have a Buffalo Special-6 for sale, worn twice, washed once, size 44, black.

Reason for sale: I needed a size 42 (with size 46 arms apparently).”

Pity. Im after another 46. The cycling one i have isnt really suitable for anything other than bike with its red lining, yellow body and purple arms and hood.

So comfy, but not nice to look at.

Actually I’ve just discovered one that looks worse.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125013551768?hash=item1d1b636a98:g:alYAAOSwMoVhh-oO

matt_outandabout

If anyone has a medium Hydrogen in the black with blue zips that is wrong size, I’ll take it off your hands.

dissonance

Cheers, I fell to temptation and brought one.
    On slightly related PSA for those on strava Montane currently have a 50k running/walking challenge for the next 15 days or so which if you complete you get chance to win something plus a 20% online discount.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.