Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA: Elite Dangerous free on Epic
  • eulach

You’ll need to sign up.

72 pages says it’s quite popular with some folks around here.

Cougar

Already have it on the eggsbox, but that’s a great PSA. Thanks.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ooh, already have it but would be great for an alt account, cheers!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, come play, it’s.. engaging….!

JohnnyPanic

Noticed this earlier and jumped in.
    Take it you need a joystick to get the most out of it?

crewlie

Not really, some of the most skilful players just use keyboard and mouse to great effect.

willard

Snagged. Good call!

molgrips
    Free Member

Keyboard and mouse is supposed to be the best option AFAIK.

JohnnyPanic

👍

molgrips
    Free Member

PM me if you want the discord link. If you are a newbie we can help you with the learning curve, if you want something to do we can help with that too. Casual players welcome, all platforms.

Saccades
    Free Member

Even greater than 8″?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Keyboard and mouse is supposed to be the best option AFAIK.

It’s better than a game pad for sure but a fully mapped HOTAS would be much better. Not essential though, I’d be waiting a while to get one.

willard

Barely through the tutorial and already wishing I had a VR headset so I could look around. Except then I would need to look at the keyboard, or be motion sick.

Aaaaaargh!

molgrips
    Free Member

I have PS VR but I really want to play Elite in VR. However it’d cost me at least a grand, which is a bit steep for one game!

EDIT hmm you can connect PSVR to PC apparently, and it says ED will work…

martinhutch

Downloaded it, flew around a bit, then realised I didn’t have even a tenth of the free time required to enjoy it! I remember in the BBC version just hopping in during the school lunch-hour, buying a cargo bay full of narcotics and guns, then heading into an endless and fruitless dogfight.

Thanks for the PSA though!

Cougar

Barely through the tutorial

There’s a tutorial now?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Tutorials, docking computers, flight assists.

They’ve turned the vertical learning curve into a much more manageable 89 degree slope 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

The panic on the PS4 when attacked and trying to remember which button combo to be able to fight back 😳😵😆

Somehow I manage to hit the combo for silent running on a far too regular basis and have to dive through the menus to turn it off 🤦‍♂️

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Nice PSA.. been lurking on this thread remembering very late nights when I had a BBC B in my room on a black and white TV.
    Good bye any spare time…..

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a tutorial now?

Lots – basic ones you need to complete and also stretch tutorials that are just good practice for all sorts of other things that you can do without losing money. Worth doing.

flyingmonkeycorps

Got it, not installed yet. How much time does it need? I tend to play an hour or so a few times a week in winter, when I’m not being productive (currently causing chaos in GTA5 but I do like me a bit of space).

molgrips
    Free Member

Once you’ve figured it out and are up and running, you can totally play an hour a week. It’s up to you what you want to do. But of course putting more time in opens up more stuff.

You can just fly around shooting stuff if you want. But you’ll probably want an upgraded ship, then some better weapons.. and if you get your ship engineered it’s even better.. and.. and..

flyingmonkeycorps

Might give it a blast next time I have a free night then. Got nothing to lose…

K

I’ve installed it, got an old thrust master 2 joystick and IR head tracking; flight control axis throttle and thrusters set up. Getting frustrated with trying to decide the control inputs for targeting, weapons, boost, hyper, etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d give you advice but all I have is PS4 related 🙂

spursn17
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on this, downloaded and going through the tutorials at the moment.

What am I missing with mining? I can shoot bits off the asteroids in training mode, but I can’t scoop them up (my scoop is deployed). All I seem to do is ram the rocks!

whatgoesup

I also just downloaded it and kept ramming rocks when mining.

The answer is – your cargo scoop is under the ship so you’ve got to fly over the rock, not into it. There’s a handy little targetting display that should appear to the lower left of the radar thingy in the middle of the dash.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Buy a collector limpet controller module buy some limpets from the advanced maintenance screen. Bind the collector to a fire group in the right hand screen.
    When you’re mining fire a limpet and open your cargo scoop before you start shooting the rocks. The limpet will go and fetch the bits for you.

molgrips
    Free Member

For scooping, watch the scoop-cam on the right of your main display. You have to target the fragment, then it’ll show up in the scoop-cam. If you can’t see it to target it, it’ll be listed under ‘contacts’ in the left hand menu.

But as Perchy says – don’t scoop them individually, you’ll be there all night. But before you leave the station: Don’t forget your limpets!

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Claimed the freebie and went into my old account. I’m sure the UI wasn’t this hard work last time I played!

Anyway, picked up a mission appropriate to my pilot level apparently, set out in my well fitted imperial courier, found my target and opened fire.

I then got absolutely shitmixed in about 3 seconds by their buddies. Yeah this game is harder than I remember.

Cougar

Incidentally,

<mod>
    This is a great PSA, but we already have an extensive thread as linked earlier. If this is going to turn into a ‘how do I play’ discussion we’ll have to close it as a duplicate (and for your own benefit as players so that all discussion is in one place).
    </mod>

spursn17
    Free Member

Cheers!

Got loads more questions though…

Cougar
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Elite Dangerous free on Epic’ is closed to new replies.