Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 445 total)
  • PSA: Classics season starts this weekend
  • pondo

Will it be viewable online anywhere, do we think…? 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Try here:
    http://www.cyclingfans.com/scheldeprijs/live

Most likely from 14:45 UK time onwards

pondo

Hurrah, thank you! Pretty quiet in the office, be nice to have a bit of something to watch… 🙂

irelanst
    Free Member

It’s going to be interesting at PR, some of the onus should be on Etixx to make the race hard enough to hurt Kristoff but Sky always seem willing to pick up the pace early and unless the Wiggins plan is a huge bluff they’ve already shown their hand so may find themselves up front for a lot of the race.

The problem I see for Wiggins is I think he can only win one way because I don’t think he could out kick any of the Etixx lads and certainly not Sagan or Kristoff, which means gambling all his race on trying to get away inside 10k – they all know that so will sit on him for as long as possible.

The saving grace might just turn out to be Thomas, he obviously has the form to be in the front group at the end so will be able to support Wiggins into the final 10k and possibly even put in some attacks which Etixx can’t just watch, I think he will be Skys highest finisher.

I’m going for Stybar though – he’s been on good form so far this season but seems to have been playing second fiddle to Terpstra and he had a relatively easy time of it at Flanders. I think he’ll get his chance this week. That said, Sagan seems to be getting better each week and he seems to have the knack of being in the right places when winning moves go he’s also one of the few who would be confident to go into the velodrome in a small group and might be able to get over Kristoff, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was involved.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

And another inflatable banner collapses on the peloton!

Klunk
    Free Member

al qaeda

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Chute!

pondo

Ouchy. 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

I hate it when the same people win every bloody race.
    bore off Kristoff.

mrblobby
    Free Member

He should watch out, they busted Pantani at madonna di campiglio for not letting anyone else win 🙂

everyone
    Free Member

I hope Wiggins (and sky) pull their finger out for Roubaix, I’ve got a whole £10 riding on them to win!

I reckon Stybar has a reasonable chance of getting on the podium as well.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, I can see just how Wiggins’ victory will play – with him launching attack after attack, pinging off the front like a demented hare, before delivering the decisive coup de grace on the gnarliest section of cobbles with all the panache of one of the world’s great attacking cyclists… oh, wait…

No, G might be in with a chance of a podium but I’ve got Brad down as a DNF.

mrblobby
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QXKjc1nLY[/video]

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

To kick the mood off, a little recon ride by BMC:
    [video]https://vimeo.com/124540336[/video]

Hmm, can’t link Vimeo films?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Great video by the bmc team

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well then I’ve studied the form, looked at outsiders and given a lot of thought to just who will enter the boards on Sunday. In homage I’ve completed my own “classic” today and shot my legs just enough to warrant a recovery ride tomorrow and Sofa Slob in front of the TV all day Sunday 😆

Predictions I hear you call… ??

It’s a hard one, very hard this. But I’ve come up with a list of the typical contenders, can’t see past these four I’ve chosen, but it’s such a gamble as to who will come out winning…

I’ve plugged these two all over the Classic season and I’ll do it again, Terpstra and Stybar from Etixx, with Lars Boom from Astana (if he has the support needed, and I think he just might) in thier too. GVA will be up there but I think he’ll be edged out by a hard riding VanMarke..

As for Sky, well I think Wiggo will almost die trying but be beaten in the last 25k, Thomas will be blocked in every move he tries to make, Stannard I reckon will fade in the middle of the race.

What about Kristoff and Dekenholb ? They’ll be in the top 20 along with Wiggo.

I’m so looking forward to a Dry Hot day on the cobbles 😀

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

So hard to call.

Part of me thinks that as the two bigs guys are out of action the other leaders will mark each other out the game and the winner will come from a breakaway, rather like Van Summerman a few years ago.

Can’t find a start list on cyclingnews website to check for suitable lieutenants, but someone like Haussler could well benefit.

Obviously it’s written in the stars that Wiggins will win it, but really?

BMC have to win something as well this Spring, so Oss?

Who the hell knows?

brakes
    Free Member

that’s what makes it so great. no-one knows.
    I predict for Sunday afternoon that I wish I’d bought more Westmalle and Rochefort.

mr_stru
    scaredypants

Seriously, Kristoff is (again 🙄 ) the big favourite in our house

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks for the link to the start list, great to see a couple of Brits racing for lower level teams being picked.

Can’t see Kristoff doing it Sunday, although there is no pressure on him now, but he’s going to be so heavily marked.

scaredypants

Admit he’ll be marked tight, but he doesn’t need to get away though – bound to be the fastest sprinter if he’s in the final group (unless maybe Degenkolb is around and on form). Needs a “good” breakaway without him but if he & his team can mark the other favourites, …

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Don’t forget Rapha’s guess the finishing time competition
    http://pages.rapha.cc/monumental-competition-3-paris-roubaix

Going to be a quick one this year I feel

Macavity
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Inrng preview. He also has a good general piece on PR here.

aP
    Free Member

If the wind doesn’t change direction then there’s some decent head and side winds after the Arenberg (which was very greasy today).
    It rained this morning and this afternoon although its dry now, most of the sectors are dry but the Arenberg is unlikely to dry out overnight I’d have thought.
    G then for me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

aP did you ride it today ?

aP
    Free Member

Yup. Was good if damp to start with and damp at the end, much stronger winds than the last two years. Arenberg was treacherous – there were at least 3 big crashes when we went through.
    Probably heading to either 4 or 2 tomorrow.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent, some kind of experience that. Well done.

8)

aP
    Free Member

And we rode on 35mm gravel tyres! Tough on the road, but great on the sectors – shame my fitness isn’t up to it at the moment…
    There’s noticeably been a lot of reconstruction work done on the cobbles in the last two years.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, start of Arenberg was super greasy – will be some carnage there tomorrow.

corroded
    Free Member

Oh and 28mm gravel king tyres here – perfect for the job, couldn’t have improved on them.

leffeboy

How long does it take for a normal human to do?

palmer77
    Free Member

Finished PR on my own, the others I was with were ahead, mud clogged tyres front and rear and caused rear mech to snap. Some kind folks helped me out by converting it to a single speed, and then the chain snapped 20km from the finish. Got picked up by the broom wagon who dropped me off at the mechanic who managed to shorten the chain so I could finish. I had to do the last 16km at a max of 15mph as the earring was so low!!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Blimey, ^^, thats hard.. but you’ll never forget it. And not wanting to diminish your efforts isn’t P-R all about the experience ?
    Got to say well done to all who completed/took part. I’ve done it 3 times so far and in one I broke my elbow 😐

I remember the corner to this day 😆

So, with all that in mind I’m going to say a great Bon Courage to all the racers today, surely some will be wishing they never got picked for the squad and some will be new to it and feeling very nervous. Even some seasoned racers will be forcing down bowls of sticky porridge supplemented with 3ltrs of black coffee and rushing off to the loo as I type.

The word Suffer will obliterate the columns today.

Stybar or Terpstra FTW.

8)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It’s SUNDAY!!!! Finally.

Kudos to those who rode yesterday, it’s high up on my bucket list.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have the kids most of the day so avoiding this thread now! Have a long catch up on the turbo planned with both Roubaix and a WC DH 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A woke up from a very vivid dream knowing Stannard had won, around two last night. This might have been down to too much craft IPA however I’ve had to put ten pounds on him to win as I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t and he did do it.

pictonroad

Am I doing something wrong? The race has started but my Eurosport player app is streaming some Greg Lemond promo nonsense? Do they not show it from the start?

Klunk
    Free Member

live @ 11.45

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 445 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Classics season starts this weekend’ is closed to new replies.