Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Posting photos to the forum, via google photos
  • ahsat

The 20 year bike thread, and loss of instagram integration, meant I have spent time this evening to work out how to post pictures to the forum using Google Photos. Wanted to do it this way as I pay for Google cloud back up space for my phone, and therefore didn’t take out a Flickr Pro account when they changed their terms.

So this is how I finally worked it out (see below this only seems to work using Chrome).

– Find photo on Google photo
    – Bring up image full screen
    – Right click (or similar on tablet) on photo and click open image in new tab. This is important as it gives a longer URL for some reason.
    – Copy full URL from this new tab
    – Use the ‘IMG’ button at the top of the STW text box and copy in URL
    – At the end of the copied url add .jpg
    – Press OK and be a tiny bit patient.

Has worked for me with two different photos on the 20 year bike thread. What will be interesting is to see if they last more than 24 hours. I might have got ahead of myself, potentially…

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Why does the Instagram integration no longer work?

ahsat

Test of new Mavic Allroad SL wheels, has highlighted that it only works in Chrome on my iPad, not iOS browser.

ahsat

Why does the Instagram integration no longer work?

No idea. It’s flipping annoying.

bearGrease

STW should send you a prize.

bearGrease

Or a medal. Services to STWkind….

TheBrick
    Free Member

The addition of thenjpg sounds like the magic step!

scotroutes

That method might randomly fail. It certainly use to. Something to do with the way that Google calculated the URL meant it could change.

ahsat

That method might randomly fail. It certainly use to. Something to do with the way that Google calculated the URL meant it could change.

Yeah I am worried I might have got ahead of myself. I’m hoping with the long form URL it might work. Fingers crossed.

There might be a workaround using archive album but seems even more faff.

We’ll quickly find out. Haha.

ahsat
    simondbarnes

I just use this for google photos…

https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/

ahsat

Yeah I’ve literally just done the same Simon for the photo of my face above. But it’s cropped it to a funny size…

ahsat

That method might randomly fail.

Google suggests the workaround is to put the image in a shared album and then log out and share the image. But I just can’t get the forum to then show the photo.

I may have failed. Sorry @bearGrease – your praise may be short lived.

Cougar

I long ago concluded that it’s the wrong tool for the job. It’s not like there’s a shortage of free hosting sites, use Google as your primary store and copy them somewhere else for embedding.

spooky_b329

I use imgbb.com as it’s quick and easy, but it’s still a pain downloading your photo and re-uploading to be able to get the link.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I gave up trying to solve the STW image challenge years ago. It means I no longer post New Bike threads, but I’ve learned to live with that.

pondo

^^^ This.

kayak23

I thought everyone on here was an IT executive?

How come nobody can work out how to post photos?

I’m a humble wood whittler and I can figure it out ok.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Create link to share photo in Google Photos, copy link, paste it to https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/ and copy/paste the embed code.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I do wonder why this forum is so archaic in terms of posting pictures. I use other forums and there a lot easier to post images.

ahsat

That labnol link definitely appears to work, but only with landscape images!

scotroutes

I do wonder why this forum is so archaic in terms of posting pictures. I use other forums and there a lot easier to post images.

It’s not archaic, it’s a design choice. Only allowing links saves massively on server space. I use other forums that have made the same choice.

FWIW I use postimages.org. It works easily enough.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Posting photos to the forum, via google photos’ is closed to new replies.