Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Play in XT 12 spd cassette
  • thered

Bike has been making a funny noise which sounded like a broken spoke, took the rear wheel out and wiggled the cassette, quite a bit of play. It’s on a King hub, any ideas?

chrismac

My wife has the same problem with an slx 11 showed cassette on a brand new freehub. The cogs move forward and backwards even though it’s torqued to spec. Trying a new cassette to see if that fixes it

montgomery
    Free Member

Needs more for diagnosis. Rotational play, transverse play? All the cogs, or just the cogs on a certain spider? Take off the cassette – freehub solid? Look like this?

rickmeister

Collapsed bearing in the freehub?

thered

@montgomery by rotational do you mean spinning on the freehub in the direction it would go when pedalling? Not that.
    If by transverse you mean from hub flange and spokes to dropout, yes, that.
    All the cogs
    Have taken the cassette off and freehub seems solid, no play in axle, which I’m guessing would preclude a collapsed bearing the issue @rickmeister

igm

Had this.  Two issues to check. Both due to the torque only being applied to the 11t sprocket leaving everything else just slightly loose.

The 11t sprocket can appear to be seated but in the wrong place, so it sits ever so slightly proud. Rotate it until it sits tight, check the spline and slot widths.

Some cassettes have a spacer at the spoke end – don’t think any Shimano 12spd do though.  However if this is the case then even when the 11t is properly torqued down the rest of the cassette sits slightly back from where it should and can again move slightly.

dickie
    Free Member

What igm said, And when you get the cassette off you will see this;

Hope Freehub Notch – what caused it?

BearBack
    Free Member

12 speed.. no 11t or notch like that.
    I’d check your freehub. or, visually that the 10t and 12t have the dots lines up

igm

12 speed.. no 11t or notch like that.
    I’d check your freehub. or, visually that the 10t and 12t have the dots lines up

By 11t I meant the smallest sprocket. Still can’t get used to 10t sprockets.  Not natural.

BearBack
    Free Member

fair, they don’t fit my pedros chain whip so super annoying.
    its the 12t that is the compressive sprocket though. the 10t get pressed against the 12, not against the driver body.

igm

But is it not the 10t that can get misaligned and fail to press against the 12t, or can you misalign the 12t too?

With 11spd it was specifically the 11t you could misalign. The rest of the cassette, whether single sprockets or carrier mounted clusters would not go on if you misaligned them.

sillyoldman

Yes – the 12T is the one that prevents preload on the larger sprockets if not aligned correctly.

thered

It appears to have been misalignment of the 12spd sprocket, the 10 was fine, dots were lined up

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.