Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Planning a hanging rail system for bikes
  • nedrapier

Hi all, trying to rationalise the garage a bit. I’d like a hanging rail with sliding hooks so I can scootch them up and have them take up as little room as possible. Scaffold pole and S hooks is an option, but I think I’d prefer a track and wheeled hooks, less jerking about and less scratching. I’m looking at this stuff at them moment, but I’ve not been looking long.
    https://www.questhardware.co.uk/industrial/industrial-door-system/series-20-door-system

I’m about to start measuring, planning and shopping, and I’m sure when it’s done I’ll wish I’d have done it differently!

Anyone done similar and want to share their mistakes, regrets and triumphs?

What length rack for how many bikes? How much spare space to allow for shifting bikes to pull one out mid-rack? what distance to put the rail from the wall? is a 45degree angle to the wall the best use of space/easiest to rack and unrack around bars either side?

Cheers for any help!

scotroutes

I’ve worked in a bike shop where we used poles and s-hooks. It worked fine. I can understand your desire for something “better” though.

nbt

We’ve had a thread about this on here before now, the issue is finding the right search term to get to the thread

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got two wall brackets on a shed about 6-7ft wide, Square section steel between them, about half inch square and another similar vertically in the middle down to he floor for support. I hang them by the saddles with front wheels off.
    I can fit seven bikes on it, but if I want one from against the wall I have to remove either three or four bikes to get it out.
    Sounds like your idea but less fancy.
    I always struggle with pictures on here though

tall_martin

Someone has produced a commercial version of this.

Perhaps worth having a look and stealing ideas or buying their version? I think they pretty much took the idea from a video on YouTube ( as in I guess that’s where the idea came from)

DrP

Ed..following with interest…

With my new garage, i’ve to ample space to store about 9 bikes…BUT… do I hang them…or what’s a good floow standing method?? wall mounted wheel grabber thingies???

DrP

frogstomp

Someone has produced a commercial version of this.

Stashed.. has been popping up on a few social media bods recently.

honourablegeorge

The way the stashed pricing goes up when you add an extra bike or two put me right off

jimdubleyou

Found this, bit expensive, but if it lasts forever…

https://www.stashedproducts.co.uk/pages/bike-storage?variant=40427206279365

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

I’m planning something like this in the future.

https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/groups/UPTO60K__Light_Series_Up_To_60kg seems to have all the bits needed (except hooks) at a reasonable price and they have more heavy duty stuff if needed. Not seen any of it in person though.

hooli

I looked at this when I set my garage up but decided it wasn’t really worth the cost and hassle. Because all the wheels were at the same height, the bars get in the way. This means hanging every other bike by the back wheel which isn’t quite as easy as hanging front wheel up. The other issue I found is to get the rail high enough for my bikes, the Mrs. and kids cant lift their bikes up to hang them up themselves.

In the end I staggered the heights with fixed hooks so they can wheel their bikes in on the back wheel and the bike hangs with the back wheel still on the ground. Mine are higher to make use of space and keep the bars from clashing.

kcal

Was it this YouTube?

I guess the Stashed stuff looks like e decent progression, if pricey.
    I assume you’d need the joists to line up to install.

Also looking with interest Ed.

dirkpitt74

What about this:

Bike Wall Rack – 3 or 6 Bikes Versions – Adjustable Indoor Bicycle Storage Mount for Garage or Home – Vertical Cycling Hanger – Secure Hook – Holder for Road or Mountain Bicycles

£99 for the 6 bike version.
    Looking at this for when I get the garage doors changed from up & over as I’ll have more wall space to use.

a11y

I looked at various DIY options but in the end simply bought some Steadyracks for ease. I’ve apparently got enough unfinished “projects” without adding another. Not cheap but they’re superb, as long as you have a solid wall to attach them to.

IHN

What about this:

Bike Wall Rack – 3 or 6 Bikes Versions – Adjustable Indoor Bicycle Storage Mount for Garage or Home – Vertical Cycling Hanger – Secure Hook – Holder for Road or Mountain Bicycles

Looking at this for when I get the garage doors changed from up & over as I’ll have more wall space to use.

Or, for £12.99…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174211819376?hash=item288fd56770:g:YwkAAOSwBRBdY4gK

simon_g

I did this, think it was 32mm wardrobe rail and brackets from b&q, I used a bracket on each joist. Big s-hooks then got some inch-wide hook and loop tape (hook on one side, loop on the other) and I wrap that around the wheel to hang it up.

All works well, for any size bike/tyre and no scratched rims. Have some extra hooks for bags, helmets and the like. Still get pedal/bar conflict so I turn bars and take off pedals for bikes that don’t get used so much.

tall_martin

What about this:

I was given this for a present. It’s good but 3 bikes have 800m bars, the gravel bike has wide bars, the road bikes have wide bars….

I’ve fitted 5 on it and use two on one bike hooks.

If I hadn’t been given it, I’d be going 7 on one bike hooks as they can be spaced out just right and put at different heights.

tall_martin

Same hooks as above but £2 a hook.

What’s the catch- high postage!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOSWMBH/jobsworth-steel-wall-mounted-bike-hanger-(folding-hook)?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtvqVBhCVARIsAFUxcRthFBcj1MJIdePP8F6QcXU7Ib4Lo9ug-tYBkSb10lJpg8hH6LaGvlIaAlJaEALw_wcB#TOJOSWMBH

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rolling centre sell all the bits you need to make your own.

I have 7 bikes on my garage roof cost about 100 quid all in. All hung on roller track like curtains. Just besure to fit it level …. I had to redo mine as the bikes kept rolling towards the door instead of staying where I put them .

The one dirkpitt links to is just a fancy(expensive)way to put up fixed hooks.

ads678

I bought a scaffold pole for about £12 and a couple of wall sockets for about £6 and just hang bikes off the saddle. Works a treat.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I found a scaffold pole and some scrap wood allowed me to run a pole across the end of the garage. Scavenged scaffold pole foam gives a softer finish. No two bikes are the same so bars don’t really clash and I interweave them a bit to get more in.

nedrapier

Cheers all, I’d not seen the YouTube video you posted, Cal, but that’s exactly what I had in mind.

The co Hoopyfrood linked to has the right stuff, bit cheaper than the one I found. Cheers HF!

I’m happy to spend £80 over the scaffold pole option, but not another £400 for the stashed option!

Saccades
    Free Member

I did the same as hooli.

martinhutch

Anyone seen a cheaper version of this?

https://www.parktool.com/en-int/product/storage-hook-oversize-machine-thread-470

The four hooks are going to cost the same as the rest of the rail and hangers, and all the generic versions have screw threads on them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

generic versions have screw threads on them.

Which takes a pair of bolts no bother .

ssboggy

I got my threaded Park tools ones from Bikester for £3.49 a few months ago but they have gone up to £5.99 now!

wzzzz
    Free Member

I’m tight so made my own rail system

CEF own brand unistrut as the track

50mm length of box steel for carriages with holes drilled for axles
    Roll pin axles
    Skateboard bearings pushed on as wheels

Hooks bolted to middle, nuts will wind onto the self tapping style

TiRed

Hook in each joist, staggered by about 8 inches to top and tail the bikes. Batten on wall with the same for the lower part where the garage door opens. Works a great. How many bikes are you hanging? You won’t get them closer and the sliding will annoy you.

wzzzz
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wzzzz gets it

martinhutch

Which takes a pair of bolts no bother .

Ah, excellent. Thanks.

benp1

Wzzzz’s set up looks ace. There was a similar thread on here a while back and it’s exactly what I need to do in my garage, just haven’t got around to it yet. Have an asgard going outside for the kids’ bikes and maybe my less used ones. My main ones will stay in the garage so want to put a rail up

@wzzzz
    – can you share more on the specific parts you ordered please?

jonnyrockymountain

just bought a stashed one, superb bit of kit and worth the money

ssboggy

I used the Rolling centre stuff for mine like Trail Rat mentioned Rail and these carriages
    I bolted on the Park tools hooks I mentioned before. Works great.

benp1

@ssboggy – that looks ace. How did you mount it? Are there special brackets or do you bolt through it with a washer? And what did you put in the ends of the track to stop the carriages rolling out?

trail_rat
    Free Member

And what did you put in the ends of the track to stop the carriages rolling out?

Just put a bolt in where you want it to stop.

ssboggy

that looks ace. How did you mount it? Are there special brackets or do you bolt through it with a washer? And what did you put in the ends of the track to stop the carriages rolling out?

I screwed it straight onto a joist,one end is butted up to the wall, the other end has a block of wood screwed in place.

wzzzz
    Free Member

@Benp1

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/120542-41mm-x-41mm-slotted-channel-3m-length

20×20 box section mild steel https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144053972517

m8 32mm roll pins https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263538503524

608zz bearings https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195173617647

Hooks I can’t remember, but I found some thicker grey ones than the red cheapo ones in the picture

The Park machine threaded ones would be best but are £££££££££££££££££££

thebunk

I really like the idea of the sliding rails – roughly how many bikes can a 3m rail take?

ssboggy

– roughly how many bikes can a 3m rail take?

I’ve had 8 on mine, could get another one or two on there but there wouldn’t be a lot of room to slide them to get access.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.