Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Bikes garage storage
  • robbie
    Free Member

I’ve recently sorted out the garage and now am looking to store 6 bikes vertical with a front wheel clamp against a wall, 2 kids bikes, hybrid, 2 road bikes and a mtb tight on space so something that dosnt need much space to release or put in. Looked at the clunk style clamps and they look good but at £12 each its a decent expense. Are they worth it or any alternatives anyone can recomend?
    Cheers

wildc4rd
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

https://i.postimg.cc/MpsdYK7F/IMG-20210610-WA0008.jpg

I’ve just fitted these into 3 m of monorail track screwed to the roof.

Let’s the bikes condense for storage and then slide out the way for removing the one I want. Lets me get 3 bikes into the space for 2 when I top and tail them

Tracey

We use the Dacathlon heavy duty hooks on the back wall of the garage on an angle to get more in and ease of getting out

rone

Get the best.

https://uk.steadyrack.com

Not cheap but if you’re hanging a few grands worth of bikes – wheel supported, locked and on hinges they’re actually a great solution.

Although if you think 12 is expensive you’re not going to be impressed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Their definition of lifting vs the dictionary’s appear to vary

tomhoward

What Rone said. They’re brilliant, but not cheap.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Genius! Got any pics?

Are the hooks secure like that? I saw these which may be betterer…..

https://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycle-equipment/bike-storage/wall-and-ceiling-rack/14499.html

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hadn’t seen those wzzz

Those look good.

I’d buy those next time… But for now…if these don’t hold I’ll shine them up and run the mig round and they won’t move.

I’ve got 7 bikes in what was previously a 4 bike space. Yes I have to slide them to the side to get them out but it’s like closing curtains Vs the other options

I have videos but puttng them on here is near impossible without YouTube

Meanwhile….worst photo ever courtesy of casiocalculatorpotatocam

https://i.postimg.cc/g2GNMr2q/IMG-20210611-WA0014.jpg

robbie
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ve gone with the cheap hooks as tool station had them in stock and have got the 6 bikes stored for £12
    Trail rat that looks a great idea and I’ll look into it when I have a bit more time as it will allow me to get N+1 in there also.
    Cheers

big_n_daft
    Free Member

There are already YouTube vids on how to do this. Looks a good solution

theblackmount
    Free Member

@TrailRat

Excellent solution – where did you source the track and rollers?

Ta

trail_rat
    Free Member

The rather prosaicly named

Rollingcentre.co.uk they hide undersliding door parts

Roller carriages were 7.40 and the galv monorail 27 quid.

Be warned the monorail is tough good drill bits required.

wzzzz
    Free Member

That looks awesome, I’m going to do it too.

Only prob I can see is the space needed to slide the bikes out gets used to dump stuff and then it becomes a PITA.

jkomo

Tracey, that is a lovely looking bike I must say.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only prob I can see is the space needed to slide the bikes out gets used to dump stuff and then it becomes a PITA.

Mine slide out over an open doorway through to the workshop so I have bigger issues if I dump stuff there.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Thanks for that

Tracey

It is indeed, out of all the bikes on that photo we only have two of them left.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Mine slide out over an open doorway through to the workshop so I have bigger issues if I dump stuff there.

So glad I clicked on this thread. My garage has a door through to the office (or will have soon) so this is where my bikes are going to hang as you have done.

Found this vid:

benp1

For those putting hooks in and hanging the front wheel, is the rest wheel resting on the ground?

Also, if putting the front wheel at an angle, what’s keeping it at that angle? Purely the angle of the hook?

Trying to put bikes on the wall on the new garage and have a mix of bike sizes and types (from XL to 20in kids bike) and want the kids to be able to access them on their own, which might be tricky…

james-rennie

benp1 – after some trial and error I have my hooks fitted so the back wheel _just_ touches the floor. Too high and the fixings started to look like the might pull out. Too low and the back wheel was sneaking away from the wall nicking a bit of floor space.

Tracey

Back wheel is on the floor, hook is horizontal and the weight of the bike is keeping wheel at an angle.

burko73

Is there no issue with hydro brakes inverting bikes like that to store them? I don’t know why but I always avoided leaving them stored upside down/ vertical like that as perhaps someone told me once that it was bad for hydro brakes?

Superficial
    Free Member

If you have air in the lines and you leave them with the levers highest, then potentially that air migrates into the lever reservoir where you don’t feel it. If you have well-bled brakes it doesn’t matter.

Having said that, with the bikes hanging from the front wheel, the levers are still at a high point, plus my anecdotal evidence is that I’ve stored bikes like that for years without a problem (including front wheel down).

k1sport
    Free Member

Elastic bands around your brake lever stops any risk of air getting in.

And unistrut is usually cheaper than the door roller channel. More widely available. Easier to work with and more than up to it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

While unistrut is cheaper- the channels the cheap part. 41*41 Unistrut 4 wheel trolleys are 30 quid each so there’s the best part of 300 quid

The wheels.on the sliders I bought for 7 quid won’t run in the channels.on unistrut.

k1sport
    Free Member

Trail Rat- you are absolutely right. I remembered the trolleys seeming a bit steep…. But £30 is daylight robbery!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Elastic bands around your brake lever stops any risk of air getting in.

Clarks advise leaving your brakes like that if you want any trapped air to migrate. As said before, I’ve left bikes upside down for ages and never had an issue with air migration.

stumpy01

Bit late to this one.
    For ages I used hooks on Arris rail to get them at 45 degrees to the wall. This was for 4 bikes & while it was a good solution, the bikes stuck out too far into the garage & got in the way. They weren’t top & tailed, so there was quite a gap between them.

I took it all down & now have 2 bikes on one of those pronged hangers on the wall, which isn’t great as the wide bars of the mountain bike mean it’s a struggle to get 2 on there.
    The other 2 bikes sit below leaning against the wall.

But, I am loving the idea of that sliding rail solution. The ability to squish them all up together is really appealing. I’m gonna have to look at the space I’m using & see if that would be a better solution.

Superficial
    Free Member

For the sliding rail people: Is there any reason why the sliding rail couldn’t go on a wall? Bikes would still hang down from a front wheel, and in my case I’d avoid having to find the studs, plus I could put a shelf above the bikes. Also, since they’d be resting against the wall, they would only move if you picked them up one at a time (potentially also a disadvantage). I might have to engineer something to allow the hook to bend down at its natural angle I guess?

richmtb

Here’s my current set up.

Cheap and robust enough but takes up too much space

Sliding rail sounds like a good idea.

Has anyone tried this?

6 bike hanger on Amazon

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I find the best combination is to have bikes one above the other, takes up less space than the bike vertically if you have more than one.
    Some garages will have the height for 3 bikes horizontal above each other.

Bar width is less than the bar height.

Not great for my wife to get the bike of the wall but that happens rarely now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not used that rich.

For your scenario it looks good. For me I wanted a roof mounted kit.

One thing I didn’t note that is shown on the advert is we have the bikes top and tailed. To avoid bar conflicts.

a11y

In the overall plan – and given how much we were spending on the new house anyway – I didn’t think £250ish on 5 x SteadyRacks was that extravagant. We’d bodged things a bit in our last house but decided this time round to do it once, and do it properly.

Very generously spaced at 50cm between mounts, with the 5 bikes spread over a 2.6m space. Helps to have them staggered height to avoid bar clashes. Could’ve squeezed in a 6th rack but that would only encourage further N+1, apparently.

Nice rack

Superficial
    Free Member

The other useful trick – store bikes hanging from the back wheel, but remove the front wheel. This way, they will then hang much closer to the wall. I do this for bikes that don’t see so much use.

benp1

@trail_rat – that looks like an excellent solution. Are you able to link to the exact products you have please?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That looks good trailrat, how much do they “squash” up though? I’m guessing the limiting factor is still bars/pedals so I’m trying to get my head round whether it would save space or not.

richmtb

Does anyone use hinged hooks like the Feedback Sports Velo Hinge?

They look neat but I’m wondering if they would save me any space, they would still need to be screwed into a stud anyway

trail_rat
    Free Member

That looks good trailrat, how much do they “squash” up though? I’m guessing the limiting factor is still bars/pedals so I’m trying to get my head round whether it would save space or

Topped and tailed them. Got 7 bikes in a previously 4 bike space (that was still a pain to get middle bikes out)

I don’t have 800mm bars though mind. And a number of thos ebikes are road bikes

ransos
    Free Member

I find the best combination is to have bikes one above the other, takes up less space than the bike vertically if you have more than one.

That’s what I do. Two bikes top to tail secured with a ground anchor, and two bikes above held on two long shelf brackets, with an anchor on the wall. Seems to be quite an efficient use of space. I put the road bikes above as they’re lighter and easier to manage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Bikes garage storage’ is closed to new replies.