• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by igm.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Places to eat in York.
  • jimdubleyou

We’re heading off to York for a little city break at the beginning of August, Sunday to Wednesday.

We’re staying in the West of City Centre. We’ll have Bromptons, so can get about if needed.

Any nice little local cafes to get breakfast or lunch people can recommend?

What places are top for dinner?

Cuisine wise, my wife’s allergic to a lot of stuff so things like Indian, Mexican are out.

timbog160

Blue bicycle was always nice, as is Meltons, but really you’re spoilt for choice – loads of nice places in York..both primarily for dinner

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Roots is very good but also in the very nice bracket.

Coffee I’d recommend spring and café proper Robinsons

stevehine

Last time I was there; had a lovely meal in the Rattle Owl at the top end of Micklegate – it’s not very big; so you’d need to book (you probably do anyway to be honest!)

Blackflag
    Free Member

I used to live in York. For beer then youd be hard pushed to beat Pivni. An amazing place.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The Italian restaurant in the shambles was good when I last went – 10 years ago, though. Blue bicycle as mentioned also good.

I’m a bit of a Betty’s fan boy, but it’s very on the touristy side. Spring espresso was very good.

mos

Yeah, Betty’s has its detractors but I do love a breakfast rosti.
    When I say ooh yeah, you say Gruyère!

theotherjonv

If arriving and leaving by train, have a pint to bookend the visit at the York Tap right on the station.

The exception to prove the rule that all station pubs are shit.

blue77
    Free Member

For street food they have really improved the area in the Shambles and you’ll be spoilt for choice.

The Pavement Vaults are excellent for food.

Pivni and Brew York for beers.

Coffee, we go to Lucky Days (there are 3 branches dotted around town now. It’s a small local firm doing well). Good light food too.

Unfortunately the Blue Bicycle has closed permanently following the 2015 floods.

This is a good website for independent businesses around town: https://www.indieyork.co.uk/

Enjoy your break.

mrb123
    Free Member

Plus one for the Rattle Owl.

stretch…
    Free Member

Shambles market street food is our usual lunchtime venue. Plenty of variety for all the family; I recommend the Morrocan stall while Mrs Stretch would go for the Indian.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Can’t help on the food front, but the House of Trembling Madness is worth a visit for a beer or two.
    Also, Evil Eye for cocktail silliness.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Blue Barbakan and Corner Grill house were very nice for evening meals when we went a month ago. Don’t go to Browns cafe for lunch. Lucky Days is good for cakes but a bit hit and miss for savoury. Drift-in was nice too.

k1sport
    Free Member

As people have already said, spoilt for choice.

Street food in the Shambles Market is good. Spark is OK.

Blue Barbakan is great

We love Delrio’s, family run Italian, in a cellar on Micklegate.

Coconut Lagoon if you fancy an Indian, that’s a bit different.

Don’t go to any where offering a carvery lunch or pig in a bap in City Centre. 2mins and you can be in a fab local place on Walmgate, Micklegate or Bishopthorpe Rd.

lapierrelady

Skosh up Micklegate (booking essential) for stand out special occasion dinner, The Whippet Inn for steaks, Spark York (shipping containers) for street food, Fossgate Social for breakfast, The Hop for beers, Minster Inn for beers and pizza, il paradiso for Italian.

merckx12

Arras, Squash & Il cibo del Paradiso all good!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Some good suggestions here.

The Micklegate Run is good if you fancy a few beers 😉

If arriving and leaving by train, have a pint to bookend the visit at the York Tap right on the station.

Agreed, it’s a good pub. Or nip into The Maltings which is about 10 mins from the station.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed, it’s a good pub. Or nip into The Maltings which is about 10 mins from the station.

How bloody slowly do you walk? You could walk to The Maltings in 10 mins from Poppleton station 😹😹😹

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

How bloody slowly do you walk? You could walk to The Maltings in 10 mins from Poppleton station 😹😹😹

From past experience, actually trying to leave The Maltings and arriving at the train station can take a while! But yes, the actual distance could be walked (sober) in about 2 minutes lol 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ which is dangerous as you have another pint before the last train then miss it, so let’s leave it as a 10 minute walk 😀👍😹

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yep, 10 mins is definitely a safe bet to allow for drunken delays 👍

fazzini

Been a while since we last went to York, but Happy Valley Chinese restaurant on Goodramgate is worth a try. Reasonable prices for a lunch stop and the food is spot on. Its the one place the kids always ask to visit if we plan a York trip.

jimdubleyou

Thanks all – some excellent suggestions above 👆 Cheers 👍

metcalt

+1 for Coconut Lagoon if you fancy a curry that’s a bit different.

The Star Inn the City is also worth a look for a nice dinner, and the Perky Peacock on the other side of the river is a lovely little coffee shop, as long as the river isn’t in flood!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Oh not much use to the op given allergies I should think but Phranakhon Thai Tapas is also very good for anyone else looking

Mackem

Love cheese if you like wine, beer and cheese.
    Walmgate inn (Fossgate) has food that’s a cut above the normal “pub food”
    Spark, on Piccadilly has “Donner Summer” – lovely vegan Doner Kebabs

chipps

Grace, formerly of this parish, helps run York on a Fork, which has reviews and things on it. https://yorkonafork.com

Gribs

Skosh up Micklegate (booking essential) for stand out special occasion dinner

This, it’s probably the best restaurant in York. Victor J’s is good for brunch/lunch.

igm

These are, shall I say, at the less inexpensive end of the market in York.

Roots has been mentioned – and rightly so, it’s excellent.

Arras – not that cheap but good. https://arrasrestaurant.co.uk

Buongiorno – out of the centre but easy on a bike, and extremely good Sardinian not Italian restaurant http://buongiornoyork.co.uk

The Star in the City is reasonable quality food and fantastic quality views. http://www.starinnthecity.co.uk

Le Couchon Aveugle – translate it. I liked it others might not.
    https://www.lecochonaveugle.uk

Walmgate has a few interesting and probably less expensive places.

Spark is a nice area at lunchtime normally – a food court done by hipsters.

Skosh is good. Le Couchon, Roots, Arras and Buongiorno are probably better.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Places to eat in York.’ is closed to new replies.