Photographers who wear glasses

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Photographers who wear glasses
  • mrsfry

Do you shoot with or without your specs. Having trouble using the eyepiece and my pics are a bit hit and miss as to focus. My specs keep hitting the eyepiece so i take them off 🙁 then adjust the diopter but pics still hit and miss. I have a flip screen, but i figure thats cheeting 😳

Canon 600D

5thElefant

With glasses with the ovf camera, without with the eve. Not sure why.

Are you manually focusing?

mrsfry

Yes. I always use manual. The pic looks fine in the viewfinder until i look at the picture either on the pc or on the camera screen.

Thank you.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Have you taken off the little clip-on rubber / plastic doofer that goes over the OVF?

5thElefant

Do you work off the focus confirm indicator or have you installed a manual focus screen? Or are you trying to ‘see’ what’s in focus?

If it’s the latter it’s not your eyes.

mrsfry

Use the viewfinder to focus. I have never taken the rubber cap off the viewfinder (never knew you could :oops:)

5thElefant

You can’t get critical focus with just the viewfinder.

Edit: link to how focus indicator works

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

Not a stills photographer but I struggle with our (video) cameras and glasses. If I’m out on the road using a camera with a viewfinder I wear contact lenses. It’s really tricky in glasses in bad weather, is the rain on the glasses, viewfinder or camera lens

Do you have the option of adding some peaking? Or is that the focus assist that’s mentioned above?

goldfish24

It’s not your eyes.
    Manually focusing on a modern dslr is virtually impossible for critical focus these days. For two reasons;

The viewfinder on Mid range models is too small.
    It doesn’t have a heavily ground glass viewfinder, or any other focus aids.

On older (film) slrs you were expected to focus manually, so the viewfinder glass was ground such that it gave strong contrast of in focus areas, making it relatively easy to see if it’s in focus. You’d also often get a half moon indicator in the centre or something like that (can’t remember the name) that would make it easy to eye focus.
    If you must focus manually I think you can get replacement viewfinder ground glass for your model, but really id recommend learning how to use the autofocus system well.

Try one of these

http://www.cameraking.co.uk/Hoodman+HEYEC18G+Glasses+model+Hoodeye+eyecup+for+most+Canon+SLR+Models.html

I have a 7D and shoot with glasses on, and don’t have a problem, but everyone is different.

goldfish24

I’ll add that with my 20-20 vision I can focus just fine manually on my old film slrs but don’t stand a chance on my 40d (which has a bigger viewfinder than the 600d). Only time I manually focus on my dslr is on a tripod, using the live view on the screen and zoomed in 20x. And even then, only when using an old manual lense as the consumer grade modern lenses just wobble in and out of focus.

Hi are you sure you performed the dioptric adjustments correctly? If you are still some way off then maybe look at using a dioptric adjustment lens?

See here:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/dioptric_adjustment_lenses.do

Flip-screen viewfinder is ‘cheating’? There is no ‘cheating’ in making photographs. As far as I see it there is only deception if describing or presenting the result as something other than it is. As for making the photograph why not use all tools available? If it works, it works!

I find I can focus pretty reliably using MF if I need to on my 30D. 90% of the time I’m using the red guides to check focus though. I’m not sure how other cameras work, but that seems to be the best way on the Canons that I’ve used.

I wear glasses (and keep them on) but it’s not a very strong prescription. I had a play around with changing the dioptre and in theory you can adjust for your prescription, but 1) it didn’t seem that accurate and 2) it was annoying when I was wearing contacts or glasses because everything is then always out of focus.

You can buy split prism viewfinders for SLRs, but they don’t do anything that the red flashing AF dots aren’t doing.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

My DSLRs both adjust fine for my distance specs prescription and I always use autofocus but I have the advantage that I’ve been using it for ages so I’m used to moving the focus point to the correct spot.

shermer75

Always make passes?

sweepy

The pic looks fine in the viewfinder until i look at the picture either on the pc or on the camera screen.

have you got your glasses on to look at the PC

mrsfry

Wow! Thanks chaps. Great information , tips and links I will try. I have two sets of specs for reading and distance.
    I really do appreciate all of your help and advice. Thank you 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Photographers who wear glasses’ is closed to new replies.