Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • pf30 to bsa adapter experience/advice
  • cromolyolly
    Free Member

That’s it really. Wondering about using a press in nylon type adapter like the sram vs the wheels mfg and more expensive thread together style – long term durability, creakiness etc. Thanks muchly

tillydog
    Free Member

FSA metal press (glue) in one has been perfect on my Diverge

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fsa-bb30-threaded-adapter-b3119-/

qwerty
    Free Member

I have the FSA one on my CX bike, seems solid. You’ll need some Loctite 609 retaining compound & some install tools too. I had a shop fit mine, they said it was bloody tight.

fooman

FSA should come with the glue, mine did, used 8 or 10mm threaded bar and washers to press in no problem. 1 year on no issues.

tillydog
    Free Member

FSA should come with the glue, mine did

I know that some do, but mine didn’t (it was only a fiver in the Merlin sale at the time!)

As above, epoxy glue required if it doesn’t come with any (so that one has a fighting chance of removing it from a metal frame, if necessary, by heating to soften the glue).

I also wound mine in with a length of threaded bar and some big washers – after checking many, many times that I had it the right way around!

Fitted in 2017 & 2300 miles since – all creak free! 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Put the FSA one on my old Enduro 29, it worked perfectly.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Good to hear the fsa one seems trouble-free. I thought maybe the metal on metal fit, even with loctite, might cause problems. Wondered if the nylon cups might be better from that perspective.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

FSA sleeve on my Roubaix – faultless and creak free for over 4 years and a good few thousand miles.

Basically same experience as all the previous posters – it just works!

I used some Loctite 641 (bearing retainer) and a headset press to fit.

A

alric
    Free Member

This is what Ive used for the last few months, all good so far
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/gears-drivetrain-cables/fsa-bb-pf30-al-adapter-to-fit-24mm-fsa-hollowtech-ii-cranksets

I got a very good price eventually due to confusion on halfords website

tillydog
    Free Member

This is what Ive used for the last few months

Good luck. That’s the same sort of adapter that was originally on my Diverge that started creaking after a year, or so. Everything is fine when it’s new and tight, but because the load bearing journals on the crank are offset from the BB bearings, those adaptors fret on their contact points and eventually wear enough to creak and groan.

alric
    Free Member

Good luck. That’s the same sort of adapter that was originally on my Diverge that started creaking after a year, or so. Everything is fine when it’s new and tight, but because the load bearing journals on the crank are offset from the BB bearings, those adaptors fret on their contact points and eventually wear enough to creak and groan.

I also have the FSA metal one waiting to go in

RustyNissanPrairie

FSA on my Jekyll BB30. Freeze the adaptor over night and boiling water on the BB.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Do you mean this one?

Tempted to fit in my BB30 and PF30 bikes.

Linky

tillydog
    Free Member

Do you mean this one?

That’s the one we’re on about, yes.

They’ll only fit if the BB shell is clear from one side to the other. It might be necessary to fit shorter bolts to (e.g.) BB mounted cable guides. Some bikes (Cannondale?) have a smaller diameter bore in the middle of the BB shell so the FSA adapter can’t be fitted.

(You need to get the correct length, obvs.)

teamslug
    Free Member

+1 for FSA adaptor. Fitted to an old Cannondale F29 with a carbon bb shell. Like RustyNP says freeze it overnight and warm the BB shell. No creaks or problems 2 years on.

timoth27

Just make sure you check which you need, bb30 and pf30 are different sizes. Bb30 uses the bearings straight into the frame 42mm diameter and pf30 uses plastic cups between the bearing and the frame 46mm diameter. also you need to check which length you need 68mm or 73mm. Unfortunately for me I need the 73mm which is out of stock at CRC at the moment which is typical as they are the cheapest around at the moment.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Unfortunately for me I need the 73mm which is out of stock at CRC at the moment which is typical as they are the cheapest around at the moment.

The 73mm one seems a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

Anyone know what the groove at throne end is for?

Good to know that actually work and don’t creak like mad. Was thinking about an onza payoff, since they are cheap but didn’t really want to deal with a press fit bottom bracket.

tillydog
    Free Member

Anyone know what the groove at throne end is for?

It’s to tell you which way around to fit it (the threads at each end are opposite hands). Can’t remember which it is, but it’s in the instructions.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

It’s to tell you which way around to fit it

That’s interesting. Do they intend them to be removed and refitted? Other than being helpful to visually impaired bike mechanics it seems an odd thing to do instead of just engraving an arrow.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

+2 on the fsa adaptor diverge and cannondale f29er
    Not had a creak out of either since and I stocked up on mt800 bbs for £8-12 a few years back, still using the first replacement 68/63mm bb from 2 years back

tillydog
    Free Member

Do they intend them to be removed and refitted?

I doubt it, but they do give instructions for removal.

Other than being helpful to visually impaired bike mechanics it seems an odd thing to do instead of just engraving an arrow.

Dunno, but that’s what it is…

3. Threaded Adapter Installation:
    A. Arrange threaded adaptor shell alongside the BB shell ③ and slide the headset press ④
    through the BB shells. Note: Drive side of threaded adaptor is designated by a groove. Ensure
    drive (grooved) side will face with drive side of BB shell.

Clicky PDF

cromolyolly
    Free Member

@tillydog
    Cheers form the link!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I still have a CAAD10 boxed unbuilt.

Tempted to build it up and replace those BB30’s with a sleeve or cartridge type of bottom bracket.

A shame the SRAM DUB system won’t fit 68mm BB30 unless I’m wrong.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘pf30 to bsa adapter experience/advice’ is closed to new replies.