Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Peak District Advice
  • LAT

In a couple of weeks I’ll be visiting the Peak District. I’ve never been and know very little about it.

what are the current conditions?

should I take a waterproof?

what are the daytime temperatures at this time of year?

should I fit a tyre with more tread than a Rock Razor (a semi slick)?

Is it rocky/is the terrain known to cut tyres?

I have a grotesque rear mudguard. Should I fit it for the trip?

that’s about it. Thank you in advance.

dawson

White Peak or dark Peak?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Waterproof – yes.
    Temps – from -10 to 30°C
    Rock Razor – depends where and what you’re riding, but probably something before. I’m often found with an Exo+ tyre, DHR2 it similar
    It can be very rocky in places but they tend not to be too sharp. Proper tyre pressure and decent casing should see you right.
    Starting to dry out so you might get away without the mud guards. Watch the weather over the next couple of weeks but both my guards are still on.

seriousrikk

What sort of trails/routes are you going to be seeking out?

sharkattack

I don’t go out there much but this picture is from the dryest day I’ve seen in months.

10 minutes later I was being blown off the hill and blinded by shards of horizontal sleet.

LAT

White Peak or dark Peak?

Good question. The one with Cut Gate. Are there big differences in the geography between them?

What sort of trails/routes are you going to be seeking out?

Im at the mercy of the trip organizer. He retired last year and this is a celebration.

thanks for the tips so far. Sounds like I’ll pack for a full year’s worth of seasons!

bobbyspangles

Never go full mudguard

bobbyspangles

Waterproof is a good idea, even if the forecast is good, lightweight and may save your life.
    Trails can be a mix of everything but if it’s rock the grit stone is generally pretty sticky but that’ll depend on your route and tyres.
    You’ll get away with arockrazor but the are grippier tyres out there but it’s a tricky thing to recommend without knowing more about your route or riding style.
    It is a blooming ace spot to ride though so crack on

There’s the long way to cutgate or the short way

crazy-legs

Wet. Muddy. Gritty

YES!

Literally could be anything from freezing to 20 degrees.

Dunno!

Can be.

Good question. The one with Cut Gate. Are there big differences in the geography between them?
    Cut Gate is Dark Peak. The higher level sandstone and shale one with very peaty soil, renowned for being boggy! White Peak (to the south) is the limestone one which usually holds up slightly better in wet weather due to the rockier surface. I wouldn’t be looking to ride Cut Gate at the moment, it’ll be an absolute bogfest.

BadlyWiredDog

In a couple of weeks I’ll be visiting the Peak District. I’ve never been and know very little about it.

The Dark bit is made mostly of grippy, abrasive, sludgy gritstone, the White bit – further south -tends more towards limestone and mud.

It’s starting to dry out, but there’s still the odd puddle, but tends more towards gritty slurry rather than proper, gloopy mud.

Totally.

Right now it’s apparently 19˚C, but it’s hovered around 10 or so for the last few weeks and windy. There are weather apps for that sort of thing…

Possibly not as long as you have something grippy on the front. But it’s really down to how you ride. I’m a Peak local and run a Rock Razor pretty much all year round, but mates run all sorts, DHRs and the like are popular.

Not generally, rocks tend to be rounded in the Dark Peak, rather than sharp edged. You’re more likely to pinch flat and ding rims through insufficient pressure / hitting stuff really hard. Unlike, say, the Lakes, the rock is grippy and reliable even when wet unless you’re in the White Peak in which case beware slippery limestone. Cavedale is worth avoiding in the wet for this reason.

Totally, it’ll give your mates something to laugh at.

You’re welcome. If you want a guide book, the V-Publishing Dark Peak one is decent, 18 Bikes in Hope are good guys if you need a bike shop. Cut Gate is ace.

ads678

10 minutes later I was being blown off

Ooh er!!

and blinded by shards of horizontal sleet

EM1QTxKWoAYikH3.jpg_large

bikerevivesheffield
    MartynS

Out Today, it was lovely, in a few weeks who knows!

Absolutely, I’ve always got an emergency on in my pack just in case. If you’re doing Cutgate, although you’re not that far from civilisation Its an exposed route

Christ knows. Like BWD said, very pleasant today. Weather forecasts are pretty accurate 3-4 days in advance, anything beyond that is a guess

It’ll be fun if its wet.. If you’re worried Speech Butcher/Purgatory tyres aren’t expensive and pretty good.. well I ran them for ages and am still here!

Pinch flats mainly. Have a repair kit if your tubeless, I also carry a tube, just in case

No the Shart look is in this year

Pleasure.. enjoy!

If you’re on Twitter/x Keeper of the Peak is a great trail condition resource!

LAT

Thank for all the advice. Problem is, I can’t find my cycling waterproof (I’ve not used it in almost 4 years!), so I’ve substituted a rather bulky hiking one.

tall_martin

I can’t find my cycling waterproof (I’ve not used it in almost 4 years!),

!!!! Where do you normally ride? I haven’t been out with a waterproof jacket more than twice since last summer!!!

stevedoc
    Free Member

Peaks advice ..

Keep away during a bank holiday weekend !

LAT

Where do you normally ride? I haven’t been out with a waterproof jacket more than twice since last summer

I live in the rainy part of Canada. I tend not to ride in the rain as I’m a bit soft and rain is often snow higher up the hill. Fortunately the ground drains pretty well where I am and it doesn’t stay too cold for too long.

Totally, it’ll give your mates something to laugh at.

Thanks for the tip, they don’t need any extra ammunition on that front.

thanks again to everyone for contributing

MadBillMcMad

My advice, stop over thinking it.

Plenty of good outdoor shops especially in Hathersage, eg alpkit or outside.

Bring shorts, a range of tops from warm Base layers to summer tops plus a gilet. If it looks wet buy a waterproof at whatever price point.

Tyres, choose aggressive unless you are trundling along gravel and tarmac.

Enjoy. Dark peak is awesome but there isn’t much flat riding.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.