Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Overshoes – Whats decent and whats crap?
  • neepshed
    Free Member

Ive packed away my summer sun biking gear and getting ready for the wet winter. Anyone got any prefernce for decent overshoes?
    Looking at Gore and PRo Ventura – any thoughts on what keeps you dry and warm.
    Thanks.

-Liam-
    Free Member

Was thinking exactly the same today.

Will follow this with interest.

druidh
    Free Member

For road, commuting or mountain biking? That's important as they often have specific sole patterns aligned to the shape of cleats and tread. Important as you'll wear out the bottom of the overshoe by walking / putting your feet down too much.

Waterproof? I'm using the Gore City IVs at the moment for commuting. Takes a MTB style sole, has a velco adjustment up the back and a nice, tight-fitting elasticated top.

If you're after something a bit more "aero" then roadie-style neoporene ones are closer fitting – though not totally waterproof.

Gore do a great range of insulated (Oxygen) overshoes for the deepest winter.

Some folk even wear two sets!

radoggair
    Free Member

mtb overshoes
    road overshoes

i ride endure mt500 for mountain biking and some endura road overshoe for road biking ( different shoes et al)

MTB ones were perfect for last year, just wore normal socks and they were comfy and warm down to -2, -3. After that i swapped to my winter shimano mtb shoes mw80 and normal socks/overshoes and they were warm and toastie down to -20 or whatever it got to last year and totally waterproof.

First year with the road version so we'll see how they go

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I've had a pair of BBB for 5 years now, and they're still going strong:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45051

Duc
    Free Member

ANother vote for MT500 over shoes and do in fact use them over my road shoes too with no drama

hughjayteens
    Free Member

MT500s here too with normal MTB shoes. Fine apart from on the very coldest winter night rides when my toes would go numb still.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Get some diadora chili boots off ebay for £50. I hate overshoes personally.

Trekster

monkeychild – Member
    Get some diadora chili boots off ebay for £50

Link pls, I like diadora
    Any size 9?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i avoid zips

zips = failure

i use altura neoprene overshoes on road – not waterproof but windproof , you may get wet feet but they will be warm

if its off road forget it ! even with the use of duct tape i could hardly get any of my overshoes – mt500s , alturas(2 types) , aldi specials to stay on ……

bigbob38
    Free Member

Avoid diadora chillis – got some last winter and caught the cuff on my chianring 2nd time out… it ripped…

went shopping again and got some gaerne boots – warm, comfy, dry and a really good cuff! Well worth the money – overshoes dont work off road 🙄

turboferret

Another vote for MT500's here, normally with road shoes.

Cheers, Rich

trail_rat
    Free Member

Avoid diadora chillis – got some last winter and caught the cuff on my chianring 2nd time out

so avoid being clumsey with them … mines are 5 years old – retired to back ups now have the shimano version – much comfier – but at 3 times the price id expect so !

warpcow
    Free Member

MT500s work fine for me with my regular (summer) SPD-shoes. If it gets colder than -5 I just put some sealskinz socks on (waterproof overkill, yes) and they'll do me fine down to -25. Quite a few of my rides last winter ended prematurely when everyone else went home claiming frost-bitten toes. I was sweaty 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I tried MT500's and they were pretty good – very warm and quite dry. They rubbed my cranks badly though, and lasted less than one winter.

Diadora Chillis are quite narrow (but then, I'm an H width fitting). I tried a pair but they'd only work for me with a thin summer sock, and thus were no warmer in the winter.

Numb, painful feet really take the fun out of a ride. I ended up with spesh defrosters a size too large.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I got mine from here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Absolute-Cycles
    Service is top notch from them. I have bought some other stuff from them too and it has got here rapido (I have nothing to do with this company by the way).
    I ordered 2 sizes bigger on the chili boots and they fit great, stuck my new spd sl cleats on today(which absolute provided) Can't wait to try them in anger.

IanW
    Free Member

yep, MT500 here too, but they are falling apart a bit on bottom from walking on them.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If you want waterproof, for the road and something that isn't really heavy, the Endura Luminites work for me.

Off road. Overshoes don't work, they get wet, then heavy, then tear and rip. Save your money for some boots. I've used both diadora and Northwave celcius. Both work and keep your feet warm, and dry, but the northwaves are a better fit for me, and are better sealed at the ankle, but water still gets in as it runs down my longs….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Overshoes – Whats decent and whats crap?’ is closed to new replies.