Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Overshoes for flat pedals – butchering “normal” ones?
  • londoncommuter
    Free Member

I’m still completely new to this MTB world but am puzzled by overshoes and flats. There seem to be only one option from all the million of bike companies out there, the Endura MT500 Plus. The first model seemed to be panned for a being a nightmare to put on and the revised version are extortionate.

What’s so hard about using overshoes with flats, is it just the central strap most have or are they just too small? Has anyone taken “normal” cheap overshoes like the £10 PlanetX neoprene ones and just cut out the strap?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Size up on your flat shoes, enough for a warm sock and knee high sealskinz as well.

Job done.

torchythebatteryboy
    Free Member

Forget overshoes, since using Sealskinz socks, I have not needed overshoes, even in sub zero temperatures. They also keep your feet dry.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

Feel free to take the mickey but I can’t snap out of the roadie mentality that everything should be clean! I got some lovely Specialized 2fo shoes and they’re all nice and sparkly. Why waterproof my feet inside them when I could do the same on the outside….

How am I ever going to use my MTB for the first time? It’s all shiny and nice.

torchythebatteryboy
    Free Member

Turbo trainer is what you need 🙂

robj20
    Free Member

Thin pair of socks, plastic bag then another pair of socks. Simple and free.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Think of the aero gains of the TT overshoes! 😆

I ditched the Time ATACs in mid November even though I’ve got some basic overshoes, reverting to Wellgo pinned flats, thinking I could get a foot down quicker if needs be. Two pairs of socks under trainers works wonders on cool day commutes, sometimes Sealskin waterproof, sometimes just another pair of normal socks.

kentishman
    Free Member

Just put your new shoes on jump in a puddle throw your bike on the ground and then go ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

. Why waterproof my feet inside them when I could do the same on the outside…

Because you can’t, stop being a drama queen and get outside.

GHill

What’s so hard about using overshoes with flats

The pedal pins will tear the overshoes apart in very little time. You also want the pins to interface with the sole of the shoe, not the overshoe. This matters towards the edges of the shoe too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think there’s only one product because it’s not a great idea and there’s not much demand for it.

Keep your nice shoes for summer and get some winter-specific flat shoes.

Which is whole other can of worms.

thenorthwind

Endura do some, but they’re expensive.

I use overshoes for multi-day rides. I also use Sealskinz to stop my feet getting wet, but merely having damp shoes under the overshoes, rather than being caked in sloppy mud, means they dry much quicker in a bothy/pub/whatever, and are more pleasant to put back on. Keeps your feet a bit warmer too.

pipiom
    Free Member

I get at least 2 seasons out of these, and more if I stick a piece of inner tube to the understrap:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00G6P5WDS/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Overshoes for flat pedals – butchering “normal” ones?’ is closed to new replies.