Home Forums Bike Forum On One Scandal

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • On One Scandal
  • covestiff2016
    Free Member

So I’m looking at a on one scandal 29er
    Looking at the size guide I’m in between a small & medium. I spoke to Planet X on a web chat and they basically said my height 5ft 6 would suite both the small or the medium and explained that a medium would be more comfortable on longer rides because of the raised handlebar height and a more stretched position meaning a more upright position. A small frame would be more compact with lower handlebars etc but would be more agile etc etc.
    I’m abit unsure what to do really a small frame is 15 and medium is 16.5 is there anyone one who has one of these bikes who is similar height who could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
    Tom

nickc

Wading through this giant 31 page thread will probably tell everything you need to know

The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

zippykona

I’m 5 7 and am happy with medium jack flash and whippet.
    With my jack flash I’m right on the seatpost insertion limit, even with my short legs.
    I’d ask them how much insertion you have at your given seat height.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll have a read see what I can find. Yeah that’s a good point I don’t wanna be running my seat tube at a max height if I was to get a small for instance. I’ll ask the question.

joebristol

I think it depends how long your legs are and how much drop you want to fit in. At 5’9 I’d probably go medium because the seat tube in the next size up is quite long at 460mm.

The medium has a reach of 437mm which I’d think would probably be ok for you – and the seat tube is fairly short at 420mm. I’d just check with them how much seatpost insertion there is and then workout how much drop you can fit in.

The Oneup v2 dropper has some height adjustability and the biggest drop in the smallest space so I’d look at one of those.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

I have little legs think there about 28/29” long 😂

zippykona

If I engage brain I can say that I bought a medium off eBay that in fact turned out to be small. I couldn’t figure out why my minimum insertion was an inch above the top.
    To prove to the seller he was wrong I took pictures.
    The measurement is from the centre of the BB

mjsmke

I’m 5ft5 with short legs and ride a Small Whippet. A medium would be too tall for me.

snotrag

Bear in mind – the Scandal frame uses a kinked seat tube – the effective seat tube angle is ‘synthesised’ and not a true seat tube (post!) angle.

This means that on the same frame size – if your at the smaller end, with a lower seat – you have a steeper seat tube, and a shorter top tube length, or if you are taller, you will have a slacker ‘real’ seat tube angle and a longer top tube.

I am 5ft10 with short legs and had a medium. Think about what dropper post length you want to run, and compare the C-T seat tube measurement to your current bikes.

chakaping

I’d definitely say the medium.

I have similar stumpy legs to you but a longer torso, and I’d only consider the large for myself.

Good deal on those at the moment.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

It’s strange as when I spoke to them this morning regarding seat post they said small has a 340mm insertion and medium is 380mm. They also said stick with a small for a safe bet because of my height and leg length. It’s a difficult decision

mcbyker
    Free Member

5’7″ here. Centre BB- top of saddle 706mm. 70mm stem. I ride a Medium. I put a 125mm dropper in, but actually have space for 150mm.

The stack on small and medium are both listed as 609mm on the website, so that shouldn’t be a factor.

Its a great frame, though on the GX build the wheels and fork are poor, and sram 29mm axles in a BSA bb mean the bb bearings last seconds to minutes ;-)

chakaping

Can you try a couple of friends’ bikes with comparable reach figures? See which feels best.

The medium Scandal is about where most brands current small models have ended up though.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

Yeah I must admit looking at the size of others the on one scandal medium seems to be similar to other manufacturers small. I have a giant hybrid that’s a small and that’s at 16.5 frame and I find that comfortable

chakaping

I honestly think the medium is a safe bet for your dimensions, you could always go a bit shorter than the stock 50mm stem if needed.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

Yeah I think I’m going to try a medium. I did read that you can return them if there not the right size. Obviously they have to be seen as new and no damaged but it’s good to know it’s doable if need be.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.